UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany Law

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any speculative sense on how long the discussions will go on? In my experience in the business world once it's being discussed publicly that the move can come swiftly. Before any public comment I'm sure there has been a lot of behind closed doors discussions. The leadership must have rough idea of what both sides want out of the relationship.

Look at Penn State as a model. They took in Dickinson Law (small private school) and did it well. Really elevated the law school.

Yep, and a few Albany athletic alumni attended Dickenson both pre and post move. They are all doing fantastic in their careers.

Any speculative sense on how long the discussions will go on? In my experience in the business world once it's being discussed publicly that the move can come swiftly. Before any public comment I'm sure there has been a lot of behind closed doors discussions. The leadership must have rough idea of what both sides want out of the relationship.

I believe it would need to be approved by the SUNY board and the legislature.

If so, I wouldn't expect anything to be formalized until 2015 budget time.

Some of the comments express a view of law school which will be a major reason why the Albany Law community will pull away from this. The primary goal of a law school is to teach students to think, speak and write like lawyers. Once administrators, who know nothing about teaching people to be lawyers, are running the law school the program will be severely weakened.

Some of the comments express a view of law school which will be a major reason why the Albany Law community will pull away from this. The primary goal of a law school is to teach students to think, speak and write like lawyers. Once administrators, who know nothing about teaching people to be lawyers, are running the law school the program will be severely weakened.

Huh? No one is suggesting that this would change the approach to teaching law school (one can argue that until the sun comes up).

How do you think it works now for all the other schools at Albany? Do you think President Jones tells Dean Siegel how to teach business classes? Do you think the President of Stony Brook tells the Dean of the Medical College how to teach Doctors?

Let Dean Penny Andrews remain the Dean of the Law School and the optimize the professors.

This makes zero sense...

Actually, I'd argue the opposite is necessary in today's legal landscape. Legal opportunities are extremely different than they were 10 years ago; Many legal programs are quickly looking to change the way students learn because of the emphasis of ensuring a student comes out ready to think both like a lawyer and a business person.

Truth be told, a good lawyer has the innate abilities of being able to think and write in a traditional legal sense; A great lawyer understands the real world irrespective of whether they become a litigator or a commercial lawyer. The synergies that can be leveraged between UA and Albany Law, as Danefan noted, would ensure that an Albany Law grad would come out of school with a fighting chance to shape their legal career.

The days of sitting in an office and billing, even for seasoned lawyers, are simply a thing of the past. Lawyers need to have a broad-based background to be truly successful.

When Dean Andrews leaves who will pick the new Dean? Do you really think the people who now control such a critical position are going to give it up? Do you think the alums are going to give up control of an institution which has been very successful? I don't think so. There will have to be a lot of work before this can happen.

When Dean Andrews leaves who will pick the new Dean? Do you really think the people who now control such a critical position are going to give it up? Do you think the alums are going to give up control of an institution which has been very successful? I don't think so. There will have to be a lot of work before this can happen.

Do you have a connection to Albany Law? It sounds to me like you are describing another law school than the one I went to.

BTW, worth noting again -the President of the Board of Trustees of Albany Law is also a UAlbany grad and a major contributor to the football stadium......

Clickclack, I am a graduate of UA and Albany Law. I also contribute a fair amount of money to both institutions. Both are very successful but for different reasons. While law students learn a lot of law the primary goal of a law school education is to learn the think, speak and write like a lawyer.

The thing is, the "community" doesn't have to be on board; only the Board has to be on board. While it would be nice to have widespread support, it is immaterial in the end. With either choice, the school will take a short term hit because opposing groups will be happy or disappointed as is to be expected with any significant change.

But the law school landscape has changed dramatically and Albany Law is feeling the change; ultimately, this merger--if it occurs--will benefit the school in more ways than one.

Edited by Dane96