UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It's the difference between the ACC and America east caliber athletes in the end.

Everyone saying the ACC is overrated and just beat up on each other, they have three teams in the quarterfinals.

Point taken! & I can add some strength to your assessment. 7 out of 11 goals for su were unassisted. Just so much individual raw talent. As good as Fields and Oakes are they mostly rely on each other and the team to help them get their points. Whereas su has a number of players who can create their own space. Lyle and especially Miles could not only finesse points; but could bull and power for theirs. Connor and Seth just do not have that kind of strength (not that it is fair to compare them to the Thompsons).

Speaking of being unfair, as good as Blaze is and I watched him for 4 years and he was awesome for us; I feel he did/does have a flaw (an achilles heel.) He {in my opinion} is only average @ best on long range shots. Where he can be spectacular on short range shots, he often does not seem to see the shots coming from long range. I know being screened is an issue, but from the stands it looks like these long shot should be saved. It will be interesting to see how he does in MLAX where they have a two point shot.

Overall, I think it was an awesome year and this team should have praise heaped upon them for maintaining and continuing UA's lax success. I for one am OPTIMISTIC about the future. Whether you agree or disagree that UA is a national lacrosse power, we are most definitely a team to be reckoned with.

Edited by dslyank

It's the difference between the ACC and America east caliber athletes in the end.

Everyone saying the ACC is overrated and just beat up on each other, they have three teams in the quarterfinals.

Point taken! & I can add some strength to your assessment. 7 out of 11 goals for su were unassisted. Just so much individual raw talent. As good as Fields and Oakes are they mostly rely on each other and the team to help them get their points. Whereas su has a number of players who can create their own space. Lyle and especially Miles could not only finesse points; but could bull and power for theirs. Connor and Seth just do not have that kind of strength (not that it is fair to compare them to the Thompsons).

Speaking of being unfair, as good as Blaze is and I watched him for 4 years and he was awesome for us; I feel he did/does have a flaw (an achilles heel.) He {in my opinion} is only average @ best on long range shots. Where he can be spectacular on short range shots, he often does not seem to see the shots coming from long range. I know being screened is an issue, but from the stands it looks like these long shot should be saved. It will be interesting to see how he does in MLAX where they have a two point shot.

Overall, I think it was an awesome year and this team should have praise heaped upon them for maintaining and continuing UA's lax success. I for one am OPTIMISTIC about the future. Whether you agree or disagree that UA is a national lacrosse power, we are most definitely a team to be reckoned with.

I agree for the most part of your statements...it is def. fair to say, the national powerhouses would probably more often than not, try to AVOID playing UA...that is prob. the best compliment UA could get at this point...

1st: THANK YOU SENIORS!

2nd: I F'IN HATE Syracuse!!! Any chance Onondaga Lake overflows and wipes out the University?

Other thoughts:

Ornstein did a phenomenal job! I'd say less than half the FOs he lost were won outright by Williams. We "won" a few where the ball was checked out of our sticks. The experience he gained this year and the incoming kid will put us in good shape for next year. 2 losses were due to violations and I'm pretty sure Wiliams flinched first on one of them.

The D played very well, I think the offense was problematic. Some very poor shots and untimely turnovers.

The D did had some lapses, but that has to be expected. 21-21 on clears. D is also young. Reh & Simms are going to be Juniors and Dluhy will be a Soph.

No extra man opportunities was crazy, not sure how they missed the blow to Fields' head.

We got screwed by the committee. This is the same problems "mid majors" have in basketball. We can't just say oh we'll play in the ACC next year. Schedules are made in advance and we cant help if Harvard, Drexel & Cornell were poor this year. Also, we can't schedule our entire OOC games against lax powerhouses. If they would schedule us, they would all be on the road. Coaches should not be on the selection committee. I'd like to add Army and a BIG10 team.

We will be very good again next season. Goalie is the huge unknown. Also, remember this was our first year with a new offense. All the new coaches should help us as well, just need to take care of business! There will always be a talent differential until we move up in league and have better facilities (i.e. field house, locker rooms, offices). 16 years D1 lax vs. 100 years (cuse). Have to play near perfect game to win.

Fields could have easily been a Tewaaraton finalist. Molloy will win, just hoping he doesn't break Lyle's record. Fields should be a finalist next year.

Still a great year and I very much enjoyed watching!

I am by no means a lacrosse expert..but it seemed that Syracuse completely changed their offensive strategy in the second half. As someone earlier posted..there were a lot more one-on-one efforts. Fewer passes and more shots. Instead of looking for the perfect high-percentage shot..they seemed to shoot on almost any opportunity with a couple players backing up behind the net to keep possession. They seemed content taking 3 or 4 mediocre shots per possession with the hope that 1 would go in. That cut down on the chances for us to force a turnover off a pass like we did a few times in the first half and allowed them to keep the ball longer.

Would love for the Orange to leave their friendly confines for once and see what it's like to play the Great Danes on the road. They traveled to Johns Hopkins, Hobart (?!) and Cornell for non-conference games this year..and lost 2 of those 3 games. Much different than us having to play in the Dome 15 games in a row.

• Like 1

There are other's besides Under Armour who do an "All American" designation. We had this discussion before the season and I did a summary @ that time. If you look @ UA player bio's from the roster; you will find at least 6 or 7 with "All American" status from one source or another. In fact, when I did my summary, I looked @ only freshman and sophomores; you may find even more than 7 if you look @ all years. Also, if you check I am pretty certain more than Connor were Under Armour designees.

How many make UnderArmour AA after they get an ACC offer? Just like basketball and football recruits get an extra star after they sign with a power conference BB or an FBS football team?

(Or lose half a star when they sign with AE)

• Like 1

Is there any chance of Albany putting in a bid to host the quarterfinals after 2018?

Five of the last 16 quarterfinals have had attendance < 10,000, so stadium size shouldn't be disqualifying

YEAR HOST OR SITE TOTAL ATTENDANCE

2009 Hofstra University 11,259

Naval Academy 10,954

2010 Princeton University 7,995

Stony Brook University 8,868

2011 Foxboro, Mass. (Gillette Stadium) 14,122

Hofstra University 13,447

2012 Naval Academy 12,034

Drexel University (PPL Park) 10,705

2013 University of Maryland 4,082

University of Notre Dame (Lucas Oil Stadium) 7,631

2014 Hofstra University 13,132

University of Delaware 7,208

2015 University of Denver 12,998

U.S. Naval Academy 10,508

2016 Ohio State 5,411

Brown 11,012

But a bid is expensive: $10,000 minimum guarantee, plus the NCAA gets 80% of the revenue above the guarantee. Any changes to the facility is at the school's expense.

2017-18 bid specifications

Is there any chance of Albany putting in a bid to host the quarterfinals after 2018?

Five of the last 16 quarterfinals have had attendance < 10,000, so stadium size shouldn't be disqualifying

YEAR HOST OR SITE TOTAL ATTENDANCE

2009 Hofstra University 11,259

Naval Academy 10,954

2010 Princeton University 7,995

Stony Brook University 8,868

2011 Foxboro, Mass. (Gillette Stadium) 14,122

Hofstra University 13,447

2012 Naval Academy 12,034

Drexel University (PPL Park) 10,705

2013 University of Maryland 4,082

University of Notre Dame (Lucas Oil Stadium) 7,631

2014 Hofstra University 13,132

University of Delaware 7,208

2015 University of Denver 12,998

U.S. Naval Academy 10,508

2016 Ohio State 5,411

Brown 11,012

But a bid is expensive: $10,000 minimum guarantee, plus the NCAA gets 80% of the revenue above the guarantee. Any changes to the facility is at the school's expense.

2017-18 bid specifications

Thanks. Having the quarterfinals in NFL stadiums is terrible for TV.

• 2 weeks later...