UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

After taking one on the chin early, the defense stiffened and was coming up with big plays when they needed them. The defense held VU scoreless for about 20 minutes and during that 20 minutes the offense

misfired on two golden scoring opportunities and then started handing the ball back to VU over and over and over. The offense was running out of feet to shoot themselves in…penalty after penalty. The defense came to compete and the offense was not ready (see earlier OC comment). Again, this QB is not good enough to be a back up for the teams we face. Some of the passes he chucked were so bad I can't even call them a wounded duck. Then Sussman throws an INT on his only pass. The only good part about that one is that I was already in my car with the seat warmer on! Did anyone notice that the VU QB was 12 for 12??? I can never recall a QB throwing a perfect game like that even if it wasn't too many passes. The kid was on the money every time. Ah well……basketball season please…..

I waited a while before postingafter leaving with 6 min left in the 3rd quarter. And then VU scored again before I was out of earshot of the stadium. This points out how far we are from the

upper echelon teams of the league. Our starting QB is light years behind their FRESHMAN 2nd string QB. Our starting RB is not as good as their # 2 or # 3. Their O-Line completely dominated our

D-Line. Our pass defense seems to be "let them catch it and then tackle them." GG made a jerk out of himself going into halftime by badgering the refs until it began to look like security was going to

intervene. When the new coaching regime came out last year, the one thing that stuck out to me was Joe Bernard, our OC. He looked to me like a guy who knew the head coach and needed a job after being stuck in the HS ranks for 3 years. From his resume it's apparent that he's never been an OC except at the HS level.what??? Been bothering me since it was announced. Maybe I'm wrong.

So you have the ball 2nd down at the 1 foot line and you line up in a shot gun and completely blow the execution and the time management.then a penalty on the rushed FG attempt. Pathetic and demoralizing.

Unless it's a beautiful day and I have absolutely nothing else to do I doubt you will see me for the NH gamethat disgusted.

BTW, Samuel Gray was playing his heart out. Too bad hardly anybody else showed up.

Today UA played like a D3 team.

I said the same thing about the coaching staff when they were announced. Some of you may remember.

I won't even go to that last game if it's an amazing day weather wise. If anything, it'll be my lack of attendance hopefully speaking volumes as a season ticket holder. I'm fed up. We should all boycott that game and someone should send an anonymous email to someone on the athletic department staff (unless someone is already reading this).

I don't care, as a fan, if a kid is not his recruit or not. If he is better than his kid, then he needs to play. The fact that a few players have left due to being relegated to the bench for no reason other than that is asinine and grounds for punishment IMO from Benson. If we were winning, it would be a slightly different story. But we're not and he's sticking to his kids no matter what.

Preach!

I waited a while before postingafter leaving with 6 min left in the 3rd quarter. And then VU scored again before I was out of earshot of the stadium. This points out how far we are from the

upper echelon teams of the league. Our starting QB is light years behind their FRESHMAN 2nd string QB. Our starting RB is not as good as their # 2 or # 3. Their O-Line completely dominated our

D-Line. Our pass defense seems to be "let them catch it and then tackle them." GG made a jerk out of himself going into halftime by badgering the refs until it began to look like security was going to

intervene. When the new coaching regime came out last year, the one thing that stuck out to me was Joe Bernard, our OC. He looked to me like a guy who knew the head coach and needed a job after being stuck in the HS ranks for 3 years. From his resume it's apparent that he's never been an OC except at the HS level.what??? Been bothering me since it was announced. Maybe I'm wrong.

So you have the ball 2nd down at the 1 foot line and you line up in a shot gun and completely blow the execution and the time management.then a penalty on the rushed FG attempt. Pathetic and demoralizing.

Unless it's a beautiful day and I have absolutely nothing else to do I doubt you will see me for the NH gamethat disgusted.

BTW, Samuel Gray was playing his heart out. Too bad hardly anybody else showed up.

Today UA played like a D3 team.

I said the same thing about the coaching staff when they were announced. Some of you may remember.

I won't even go to that last game if it's an amazing day weather wise. If anything, it'll be my lack of attendance hopefully speaking volumes as a season ticket holder. I'm fed up. We should all boycott that game and someone should send an anonymous email to someone on the athletic department staff (unless someone is already reading this).

I don't care, as a fan, if a kid is not his recruit or not. If he is better than his kid, then he needs to play. The fact that a few players have left due to being relegated to the bench for no reason other than that is asinine and grounds for punishment IMO from Benson. If we were winning, it would be a slightly different story. But we're not and he's sticking to his kids no matter what.

This can't be true... What coach would leave kids in bench that can/could help. If he is, he's doing it to his own detriment. What isn't debatable is that we've lost a number of kids mid season. Gattuso needs to explain that...
An explanation would be awesome!!

The only positive I'd like to add is: except for some incredibly bad coaching [pretty much everyone in the stands was yelling get your gb under center on that goal line fiasco] and a few bad breaks we were actually competitive in the first half. On nova's first drive there was an obvious holding call {everyone in the stands saw it but the ref did not; but he made a makeup hold call on nova's second drive that was so phantom, I am convinced he was trying to make up for the missed call on drive one. Anyhow the missed hold went for a twenty five yd gain, so in essence that blown call cost us 45 yds or approximately half a field. I just wonder with a couple of breaks in the first half, if we could have made a game of it in the second.

Don't get me wrong, we SUCKED over all and Crook has to go NOW and "maybe" Gattusso too. Part of me, like most on this blog say give him another year before judging. Part of me says he appears clueless, many on his staff appear clueless, his recruiting seems to be recruit 5 qb's and hope one is good, his judgement of talent appears based on how a kid practices and not on how they play in a game {kids like Nagachi get lost in or out of the system without it seems getting a fair shot on the field} and kids disappear from the roster with no explanation. Not to judge him on the Ford scale, but Ford would use marginal kids on special teams {and COACH them into being and feeling useful and eventually sometimes into expanded roles}; and use failed qb's as wide receivers, and teach running backs to play defensive backs. May be that is not possible at the caa level??????But if GG recruited good athletes, he should be able to do/teach them something and if he did not recruit good athletes, well that is his bag too.

Edited by dslyank

The only positive I'd like to add is: except for some incredibly bad coaching [pretty much everyone in the stands was yelling get your gb under center on that goal line fiasco] and a few bad breaks we were actually competitive in the first half. On nova's first drive there was an obvious holding call {everyone in the stands saw it but the ref did not; but he made a makeup hold call on nova's second drive that was so phantom, I am convinced he was trying to make up for the missed call on drive one. Anyhow the missed hold went for a twenty five yd gain, so in essence that blown call cost us 45 yds or approximately half a field. I just wonder with a couple of breaks in the first half, if we could have made a game of it in the second.

Don't get me wrong, we SUCKED over all and Crook has to go NOW and "maybe" Gattusso too. Part of me, like most on this blog say give him another year before judging. Part of me says he appears clueless, many on his staff appear clueless, his recruiting seems to be recruit 5 qb's and hope one is good, his judgement of talent appears based on how a kid practices and not on how they play in a game {kids like Nagachi get lost in or out of the system without it seems getting a fair shot on the field} and kids disappear from the roster with no explanation. Not to judge him on the Ford scale, but Ford would use marginal kids on special teams {and COACH them into being and feeling useful and eventually sometimes into expanded roles}; and use failed qb's as wide receivers, and teach running backs to play defensive backs. May be that is not possible at the caa level??????But if GG recruited good athletes, he should be able to do/teach them something and if he did not recruit good athletes, well that is his bag too.

+1

I watched the replay of this train wreck (game) on SNY last night. They shot themselves in the foot on every occasion. If the kid scores and does not fumble going in for a TD in the first QTR this is a completely different game. They would have gone in at the half down 10-7 or leading 14-10. Not saying they would have won but it would of been far closer. Crooks didn't look bad in the first half but came apart in the second. His lack of a running game hasn't helped his cause either. Lets call it what it is, an embarrassing rebuilding year. They can(can't believe I am saying this) beat Delaware and SBU. Neither is all that impressive. To be fair we were really looking at a potentially 5-6 year at best anyways if things didn't come apart. Maybe they can salvage 3 or 4 wins this season. That would be something to build off for next year.

This team looks bad against the run and pass and Villanova could of been beaten as could of Holy Cross and Maine which were both disgraceful losses. I have said it FOR YEARS on this forum, to win at this level WE NEED TIO BE HUGE across both lines. Look at JMU and William & Mary, they are monsters up front!!! I know we have lost multiple players but Coach G has got to fix this fast!!! If kids from the old regime are quitting that's their problem. Either your good enough to play in the CAA or your not. I know Gattuso understands winning at the highest levels and your either good enough or your not. This quitting will happen with more frequency as we get better. Kids come (they did in my era as well) thinking they are better than they are. Guess what, the proof is on the scoreboard and on film which is played back on Sunday nights. Those kids quit as well once they realized. Or Ford simply cut them in the off season.

With that being said, I know GG wants to recruit and win with his own home grown HS recruits but he may not have the time. To get crowds like the Maine crowd you need to win now. He needs to get bigger across the board at every position ASAP. To do that he needs to bring in a bunch of JUCO transfers from football power JUCO's immediately. I know there are some on here that do not agree with this but this is the cold hard reality of CAA football. Also, he may not be given a long leash given the facilities and new assets injected into the program. Chuck Priore at SBU has done it that way and he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire down at SBU either but they aren't getting their ass kicked by 35 + points every week either. GG does deserve 5 years including last season to make Albany competitive. I think he is the man for the job and if he ruffles some players feathers he will gladly take their scholarship and give it to a 295 lbs. DT who we desperately need. It is clearly a win now scenario!!!! Or risk becoming ELON or worse, RI

• Like 1

I watched the replay of this train wreck (game) on SNY last night. They shot themselves in the foot on every occasion. If the kid scores and does not fumble going in for a TD in the first QTR this is a completely different game. They would have gone in at the half down 10-7 or leading 14-10. Not saying they would have won but it would of been far closer. Crooks didn't look bad in the first half but came apart in the second. His lack of a running game hasn't helped his cause either. Lets call it what it is, an embarrassing rebuilding year. They can(can't believe I am saying this) beat Delaware and SBU. Neither is all that impressive. To be fair we were really looking at a potentially 5-6 year at best anyways if things didn't come apart. Maybe they can salvage 3 or 4 wins this season. That would be something to build off for next year.

This team looks bad against the run and pass and Villanova could of been beaten as could of Holy Cross and Maine which were both disgraceful losses. I have said it FOR YEARS on this forum, to win at this level WE NEED TIO BE HUGE across both lines. Look at JMU and William & Mary, they are monsters up front!!! I know we have lost multiple players but Coach G has got to fix this fast!!! If kids from the old regime are quitting that's their problem. Either your good enough to play in the CAA or your not. I know Gattuso understands winning at the highest levels and your either good enough or your not. This quitting will happen with more frequency as we get better. Kids come (they did in my era as well) thinking they are better than they are. Guess what, the proof is on the scoreboard and on film which is played back on Sunday nights. Those kids quit as well once they realized. Or Ford simply cut them in the off season.

With that being said, I know GG wants to recruit and win with his own home grown HS recruits but he may not have the time. To get crowds like the Maine crowd you need to win now. He needs to get bigger across the board at every position ASAP. To do that he needs to bring in a bunch of JUCO transfers from football power JUCO's immediately. I know there are some on here that do not agree with this but this is the cold hard reality of CAA football. Also, he may not be given a long leash given the facilities and new assets injected into the program. Chuck Priore at SBU has done it that way and he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire down at SBU either but they aren't getting their ass kicked by 35 + points every week either. GG does deserve 5 years including last season to make Albany competitive. I think he is the man for the job and if he ruffles some players feathers he will gladly take their scholarship and give it to a 295 lbs. DT who we desperately need. It is clearly a win now scenario!!!! Or risk becoming ELON or worse, RI

GG is that you?????