UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

OT: Why there is no off-topic forum

Dane Pound

Many of you have been saying how much you want an "off-topic" forum. OK, one of you has been saying they want an "off-topic" forum many times. Here's why there isn't one:

I don't want one.

I generally feel like I should read everything on the board, If I have to come here every morning and read some horsesiena about politics I will lose my mind. If something like the bus indident or nano college happens, feel free to slap an OT on the topic title and post away.

• Like 2

Okay, I'm fine with adding OT to a topic title and being done with it and throwing it in General...I just remember in the last year or so someone (don't remember who - wasn't you) had a real stick up their bum about a topic because it was non-sport related. Forget what the topic was even about.

Me personally, I wouldn't bring a non-UA issue up here (such as the current presidental election)...however, if it's something political that also has to do with our university, it should be able to be posted here without some members crying about it being non-sports related.

There are plenty of other forums available for "off-topic" conversations. Take those issues there. I find it refreshing that BPF has existed as long as it has and hope it continues along the same path. This is a discussion board about our mutual affiliation with UA sports. I for one believe it should remain that way. If you want a place to discuss other issues, then create that space somewhere else. If others want that, they will follow. I'll be right here rooting for the home team.

There are plenty of other forums available for "off-topic" conversations. Take those issues there. I find it refreshing that BPF has existed as long as it has and hope it continues along the same path. This is a discussion board about our mutual affiliation with UA sports. I for one believe it should remain that way. If you want a place to discuss other issues, then create that space somewhere else. If others want that, they will follow. I'll be right here rooting for the home team.

There are? Please direct me to said forums where UA students and alum's (and not the general public as is the case with most WTEN/WNYT/WRGB Facebook posts) can discuss issues pertaining to the school...

Alternatively...

You can just ignore the off topic threads or the general section like I ignore the majority of the spring sports section (I have very little - almost zero - interest in baseball, T+F, etc. and in fact I think the school could save money or use the money elsewhere (such as in BB or FB) instead of funding those programs).

Not sure what the big deal is and why this place has to be sports only.

For the record, I did build a forum but I decided to close it not to step on DP's toes. It was back when the forum was offline for like a week and I wasn't sure if it was coming back or not.

Edited by Eli

There are? Please direct me to said forums where UA students and alum's (and not the general public as is the case with most WTEN/WNYT/WRGB Facebook posts) can discuss issues pertaining to the school...

Alternatively...

You can just ignore the off topic threads or the general section like I ignore the majority of the spring sports section (I have very little - almost zero - interest in baseball, T+F, etc. and in fact I think the school could save money or use the money elsewhere (such as in BB or FB) instead of funding those programs).

For the record, I did build a forum but I decided to close it not to step on DP's toes. It was back when the forum was offline for like a week and I wasn't sure if it was coming back or not.

Eli, I get it and somewhat agree but I think the best response was from DP. He is the only admin and would have to then read through a whole bunch of crap not related to UA and police that as well. He could always make some of us moderators but that brings a whole other set of work and problems. Really not worth it in my opinion. I think the best way is if there is something UA related that is not sports related just slap and OT on it and put it in the General section to discuss. There really isn't much need for stuff on here that is not UA related.

Don't need a separate ot subforum... Sorry... I don't come here to read ot stuff nor do I particularly care what someone here thinks about hillary or trump. I come here to read things that unite us as UA fans... Or have direct impact on the University we love.

If you like it, put an OT on it...

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

Alternatively...

Eli, I get it and somewhat agree but I think the best response was from DP. He is the only admin and would have to then read through a whole bunch of crap not related to UA and police that as well. He could always make some of us moderators but that brings a whole other set of work and problems. Really not worth it in my opinion. I think the best way is if there is something UA related that is not sports related just slap and OT on it and put it in the General section to discuss. There really isn't much need for stuff on here that is not UA related.

Don't need a separate ot subforum... Sorry... I don't come here to read ot stuff nor do I particularly care what someone here thinks about hillary or trump. I come here to read things that unite us as UA fans... Or have direct impact on the University we love.

If you like it, put an OT on it...

I'm not disagreeing with you guys. I am fully in agreement with just putting OT on a topic that has to do with UA (be it a social issue, race issue, campus issue, building issue, etc.) and posting it in the general section. ALL such threads (from me at least) will ALWAYS relate to UA. I do not plan to bring non-UA stuff here (such as a political discussion about the presidential candidates) here. I agree that it has no place here. I'm not sure where that idea started or why people think that is what I am asking for. I am not. Maybe a year or two ago I asked for a general OT forum...but this is what I had in mind for the most part.

Again, to reiterate: I am in 100% agreement with DP. However, I COMPLETELY disagree with Sarge's desire/assertion that EVERYTHING non-UA Sports related be banned from this site. Sorry, but that is just silly. I was going to post the bus incident a week ago but didn't because I didn't want people to get up in arms. Glad someone else posted it because this REALLY affects our school.

The only rules, as far as content goes, that we should have is this:

1) Is it UA related? Yes, proceed. No? Do not post.

2) If #1 is yes, is it sports related? If so, put it in the matching sports forum (winter, spring, etc.)

3) If #1 is not sports related, put it in the general forum.

That's it. Easy peazy. Badaboom badabing. Boomshakalaka.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1