UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Long Island University football

Under the banner #OneLIU, they're combining the athletic programs of LIU and CW Post. The Pioneers' football program will upgrade to FCS in the NEC. This will also add D-I men's lacrosse to LIU's lineup.

http://one.liu.edu/

From NewsdayTeams that will compete at the Post campus are baseball, men’s and women’s cross country, equestrian, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s lacrosse, women’s rowing, women’s rugby, men’s and women’s soccer, women’s tennis and men’s wrestling. 

The Brooklyn campus will be home to men’s and women’s basketball, women’s bowling, women’s fencing, women’s ice hockey, softball, women’s swimming, men’s and women’s track and field, women’s volleyball and women’s water polo.

Good upgrade for them! Not sure about allowing school to combine together just for athletics though.  Wouldn't they have to also join together as universities??  What are the NCAA rules on this.

I wonder when FB will be playoff-eligible. Starting a team from scratch they'd only have a one-year transition, but here they'll have D-II players on the team, do they have to age out?

Technically it's one university with two  campuses, one president. May be something the NCAA doesn't have in its rulebook yet.

4 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Good upgrade for them! Not sure about allowing school to combine together just for athletics though.  Wouldn't they have to also join together as universities??  What are the NCAA rules on this.

It's one school...two campuses.  It's not like a SUNY with multiple independent systems.

22 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

I wonder when FB will be playoff-eligible. Starting a team from scratch they'd only have a one-year transition, but here they'll have D-II players on the team, do they have to age out?

Technically it's one university with two  campuses, one president. May be something the NCAA doesn't have in its rulebook yet.

But they have had separate athletic programs.  U A use to play Post in Lacrosse and FB I think.  

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, UAalum72 said:

Story in January said some CW Post athletes were asked preferences for the new mascot, between shark, eagle or falcon. Colors changed to blue and gold

http://liupostpioneer.com/new-mascot-coming-to-town/

I am wondering if there is significant impact on UAlbany with C W Post and LIU combining their sports program. Is there potential for a new America East member?

Edited by cwdickens
Missed something

5 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

I am wondering if there is significant impact on UAlbany with C W Post and LIU combining their sports program.

I don't know about "significant." D-II football moving to the NEC, lax going to D-I means a little more competition for Long Island athletes, might hurt Stony Brook as much as us. But with Post's D-II basketball eliminated, there might be a couple of extra athletes in the mix.

3 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

I don't know about "significant." D-II football moving to the NEC, lax going to D-I means a little more competition for Long Island athletes, might hurt Stony Brook as much as us. But with Post's D-II basketball eliminated, there might be a couple of extra athletes in the mix.

I was concerned 😟that they may attempt to steal Damian, our mascot 😃

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...