UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I was astonished how far we fell from last year.  It was an amazing feat getting to the final four for a program like UA.   If we didn't get Miles and Ty, we wouldn't have gotten Lyle, or Fields...… and none of it would have happened.  Does anyone see this team stronger than the UA teams of the past before the Thompson era?   Maybe Marr just struck the jackpot with it all, and he was living the Cinderella story.  Has the clock struck midnight?  Or has he built a legitimate, contending program? 

Our defense seems to have improved, but maybe it's just a mirage.  Maybe not.  Hard to swallow this past season.

I think we have a better than average program that had some success prior to the arrival of the Thompsons. Then UA rode a wave through last year when it all came together in a single year. Patterson was so much better when opposing defenses had to worry about Conner and Tehoka. Stone was there. And McClancy.  What a loss he was.  Go back and watch the Maryland highlights from last year and see what Kyle could do and the relentless attack of Fields. Literally tiring out ACC defensemen and taking advantage of a little crack to score.  I still think UA was a better than average team in 2019, but just lacked any chemistry or identity and a QB. 

• Like 3

Excellent assessment Jimbo. Agree on all counts. I think Marr and company will get last year rectified quickly; and I definitely do NOT think the clock struck midnight. I truly believe Marr has built a legit contending program. To predict UA will someday win a national championship is pretty hard; there is just so much that has to go right and so many thing that have to fall into place. However, unless Scott goes somewhere else, I feel UA will be a POWER and top 20 team pretty much every year. Last year was a blip, not a step backwards.

So speaking of the "blip year," let me throw something else out there that might have contributed. In addition to all the graduation loses, TD's transfer, and losing our assistant head coach and defensive coordinator; I wonder if Scott being away with the FIL World Lacrosse tournament for a large part of the summer is/was a contributing factor. I am not being critical of Scott because what he gained and what UA gained by this exposure is/will be a great benefit in the long run. But perhaps his long absence is one of the reasons the team never seemed to come together and one of the reasons so much player experimentation and rotation was going on pretty much ALL year [fall and into spring.] THOUGHTS /OPINIONS??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

Excellent assessment Jimbo. Agree on all counts. I think Marr and company will get last year rectified quickly; and I definitely do NOT think the clock struck midnight. I truly believe Marr has built a legit contending program. To predict UA will someday win a national championship is pretty hard; there is just so much that has to go right and so many thing that have to fall into place. However, unless Scott goes somewhere else, I feel UA will be a POWER and top 20 team pretty much every year. Last year was a blip, not a step backwards.

So speaking of the "blip year," let me throw something else out there that might have contributed. In addition to all the graduation loses, TD's transfer, and losing our assistant head coach and defensive coordinator; I wonder if Scott being away with the FIL World Lacrosse tournament for a large part of the summer is/was a contributing factor. I am not being critical of Scott because what he gained and what UA gained by this exposure is/will be a great benefit in the long run. But perhaps his long absence is one of the reasons the team never seemed to come together and one of the reasons so much player experimentation and rotation was going on pretty much ALL year [fall and into spring.] THOUGHTS /OPINIONS??

I tend to agree that last year was a perfect storm that led to a down year. Not many if any teams could sustain the loss of 4-5 All Americans lose a coach, and throw in some drama and replicate the prior year's success.

Not only was Scott involved with the FIL so was Merrick as well. I am not sure if that hurt the season, but I would think it definitely set us back recruiting wise, and maybe beating the bushes for a FOGO once the loss of TD was finalized.

Look how UNC has struggled after they caught fire and won the NCAA, UVA struggled for years with top notch talent, Hopkins isn't Hopkins anymore. It is tough out there.

From what little I have seen and heard, I think the coaches knew the AE was weak, and kept HOPING we would find some chemistry, catch fire, and get hot at the end of the season. That just never did happen, and this is just me speculating , but I don't think they knew how to handle the adversity this year, and they just couldn't find the right combination of players. I suspect that this past year's team needed more of a kick in the butt than love, and the hammer probably should have been dropped sooner. 

You see that now with players being cut. I can't recall that ever happening in recent history. I think there will be more attrition in the fall. I know the team got the message of you better be working hard this summer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimbo said:

Then UA rode a wave through last year when it all came together in a single year. 

But it didn't all come together honestly because Fields got injured.  Just imagine if he was healthy the entire season and through the tourney. He was the best player in the country until he got hurt last year. If he is healthy I think there is a very good chance UA wins it all. I really believe that.  Sad that we didn't get a chance to see the real outcome of having a full strength Connor Fields the whole season. 

• Like 4