UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Cheer Team - Why is there no coverage within UAlbanysports.com for the Cheer Team or Social Media accounts for the Cheer Team as there for all other sports?

cwdickens

UAlbany Cheer Team - Why is there no coverage within UAlbanysports.com for the Cheer Team or Social Media accounts for the Cheer Team as there for all other sports?

You may ask why how I even thought of this topic... to make it short....I saw Roger Wyland / WNYT-Ch 13 coverage of the Averill Park High School seniors signing their letters of commitments, which included a young woman signing a letter of commitment for the Cheer Team at UAlbany....sadly I have no idea how the Cheer Team is put together...however I do admire the athletic style and routines....plus they cover the fall and winter season....however I realized there is no coverage within UAlbanysports.com...further the Cheer Team does not have any Social Media accounts.... hmmm....I think this needs to be addressed....no Eli....I do not expect you start a spreadsheet....of who is expected to return...potential transfers....potential recruits...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

You may ask why how I even thought of this topic... to make it short....I saw Roger Wyland / WNYT-Ch 13 coverage of the Averill Park High School seniors signing their letters of commitments, which included a young woman signing a letter of commitment for the Cheer Team at UAlbany....sadly I have no idea how the Cheer Team is put together...however I do admire the athletic style and routines....plus they cover the fall and winter season....however I realized there is no coverage within UAlbanysports.com...further the Cheer Team does not have any Social Media accounts.... hmmm....I think this needs to be addressed....no Eli....I do not expect you start a spreadsheet....of who is expected to return...potential transfers....potential recruits...

I feel like it would be awkward if my wife came across my instagram and discovered I followed a college cheerleading squad...

• Haha 1

Cheer is not a Varsity sport per the NCAA (@holes). Many schools UA included have petitioned for years to have it included; especially to help with title IX requirements. Ncaa says no-no-no. Another example of only helping the BIGS & power conferences. 

Henceforth no reason to have it included  on this blog or UAlbanysports.com. It is NOT a sport. Don’t like that; contact the ncaa & good Luck with that!!

Edited by dslyank
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cwdickens said:

no Eli....I do not expect you start a spreadsheet....of who is expected to return...potential transfers....potential recruits...

Maybe I can start a business model similar to Verbal Commits but for cheerleading...

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

I feel like it would be awkward if my wife came across my instagram and discovered I followed a college cheerleading squad...

Well, if the Cheer Leading was other than UAlbany, I would have some explaining to do with the Mrs.

5 hours ago, dslyank said:

Cheer is not a Varsity sport per the NCAA (@holes). Many schools UA included have petitioned for years to have it included; especially to help with title IX requirements. Ncaa says no-no-no. Another example of only helping the BIGS & power conferences. 

Henceforth no reason to have it included  on this blog or UAlbanysports.com. It is NOT a sport. Don’t like that; contact the ncaa & good Luck with that!!

Well D.... during a ceremony for athletes signing letters of commitment...there was a young woman from Averill Park discussing her decision to commit to UAlbany and the Cheer Team....may not be a "sport" however; deserve better platform for their service to the UAlbany community

On 5/26/2021 at 3:49 PM, cwdickens said:

Well D.... during a ceremony for athletes signing letters of commitment...there was a young woman from Averill Park discussing her decision to commit to UAlbany and the Cheer Team....may not be a "sport" however; deserve better platform for their service to the UAlbany community

I agree with you 100%. Cheer should BE a Varsity Sport and receive the respect they earn by the athleticism and dedication to their craft. My negativism was @ the NCAA, not at you and not at cheer team at all. Sorry you took it wrong; was being perhaps a bit too tong-&-cheek when I said it should not be discussed on a SPORTS blog. 

Edited by dslyank