UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX - Game 4 Mar 7 (Tue) 3:00 PM Albany, N.Y. Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium

Mar 7 (Tue) 3:00 PM

vs 

UMass comes to Bob Ford Field with a record of 2-2 with wins against Army (10-8) and UMass-Lowell (11-3) and losses to Boston University (6-12) and Yale (9-18) both at Garber Field.

I expect VanValkenburgh to get the start again and a lot of 10 man ride from Albany. Umass has struggled clearing the ball this season. They have a .796 clear percentage, which ranks them 62 out 73 D1 teams. 

Solid SSDM play has really improved Albany's defense this year. The offense has yet to figure things out. Too much hero ball where you have one player dodging and trying to do it all while everyone else stands around watching. The ball has been dying in one players stick; ball movement hasn't been great. Kesselring seems like a natural feeder. Would like to see him and Salit initiate more, and Hogg less. They're both great dodgers and can draw slides to get defenses moving. There hasn't been as much two man game the past two seasons. Salit and Kesselring are great dodgers who would pair up well with shooters like Pucci, Hogg or Richmond. 

• Like 1

Stats definitely support your offensive assessment:  Only 11 assists on 28 goals scored so far this year. And from recollection, a couple of those assists seemed generous at the time. Regardless the prevalence of one on one dodging and a lot of standing around has been very noticeable [even for non-experts like me.] Glad you pointed it out here.

Seems like quite the reversal where the defense is getting some raves and the offense is lacking.

Hopefully, UA puts it ALL together today. 

We played poorly to say the least!!!!  Many unforced turnovers.........Same Def player let UM attack run around him and score three times - they left him in the game????  Off did NOT SHOOT the ball.  Kept trying plays that did not work.  Players seemed to be handcuffed by the Game plan.  Coaches can't possibly be trying new things still - thinking these non-league games don't mean much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not sure why they kept taking Pucci out?????  We just did not take shots....................VERY poor game plan, very poor play - Maybe too much time between games??????

UMass was NOT a better team.  Again we were beat on ground balls.  Why it keeps happening is beyond me..  Coaches need to go off on the team maybe.....Not marr's style though.

Have no clue what to expect against Maryland...............

3 hours ago, jimbo said:

Gave up with w/2:30 left.really dreadful performance by the attack. UMass D was on point all game. Saturday will not be pretty. 

20 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Is it a sign of insanity to talk with yourself?

OK I’ll join in on your conversation with yourself. Speaking of insanity, I was theire live & freezing of course and just re-watched, hoping somehow the result would be different 😜. Also, not sure I agree Saturday will be not pretty. I’m not predicting a win (I’m not that nuts); but let me say a few positive things about todays game.

First umass has played 3 games in the past 10 days, UA none. Umass jumps out 3-0 while UA still getting over no games lethargic. Pretty even after that lose by that same 3. Statistically pretty even overall, including only down 1 on ground balls. Even even on face-offs against the same guy who 70+% against UA last year. And if you re-watch the F/O violation at the ½, you will see 100% blown call (announcers will confirm—umass totally jumped early, UA guy never moved a muscle, umass awarded ball. Did not cost UA the game but would have flipped the f/o stat to UA +. )

Anyhow, back on track; discounting Cuse UA has played every game close against quality programs. Also, again discounting SU look at the # of upperclassmen & grad students & portal players vs UA’s predominantly freshman & sophomores. 
The Defense has gotten better every game. At some point IMHO the offense will start to jell. So maybe not a win vs Maryland, but I’m just looking for the D to keep improving and the offense to start playing together Train Style. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Again we were beat on ground balls

Only lost Gbs by one and most definitely a couple awarded to mass in error IMHO.

Had 2 less turnovers overall; but our D caused 12, while only 5 caused by mass (meaning most of UA’s TO’s unforced—need to clean this up for sure.)

Had more shots & shots on goal; granted a lot were NOT quality shots as you said.   
And I agree a very winnable game and agree the layoff part of the reason UA especially offensively was so poor. 

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Only lost Gbs by one and most definitely a couple awarded to mass in error IMHO.

Had 2 less turnovers overall; but our D caused 12, while only 5 caused by mass (meaning most of UA’s TO’s unforced—need to clean this up for sure.)

Had more shots & shots on goal; granted a lot were NOT quality shots as you said.   
And I agree a very winnable game and agree the layoff part of the reason UA especially offensively was so poor. 

Agree.  Most of our turnovers were unforced and lead to goals for them.  Somehow we are not getting them but the guys are fighting.  I just do notunderstand it..  The one penalty against us was by the offical 30 yards away and he turned his back ont he replay which CLEARLY showed no foul.... Why does this keep happening??? Officials are terrible in our league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

OK I’ll join in on your conversation with yourself. Speaking of insanity, I was theire live & freezing of course and just re-watched, hoping somehow the result would be different 😜. Also, not sure I agree Saturday will be not pretty. I’m not predicting a win (I’m not that nuts); but let me say a few positive things about todays game.

First umass has played 3 games in the past 10 days, UA none. Umass jumps out 3-0 while UA still getting over no games lethargic. Pretty even after that lose by that same 3. Statistically pretty even overall, including only down 1 on ground balls. Even even on face-offs against the same guy who 70+% against UA last year. And if you re-watch the F/O violation at the ½, you will see 100% blown call (announcers will confirm—umass totally jumped early, UA guy never moved a muscle, umass awarded ball. Did not cost UA the game but would have flipped the f/o stat to UA +. )

Anyhow, back on track; discounting Cuse UA has played every game close against quality programs. Also, again discounting SU look at the # of upperclassmen & grad students & portal players vs UA’s predominantly freshman & sophomores. 
The Defense has gotten better every game. At some point IMHO the offense will start to jell. So maybe not a win vs Maryland, but I’m just looking for the D to keep improving and the offense to start playing together Train Style. 

I will not name a number but our players have GOT to get better - they - a couple keep allowing the attack from our opponents whom they are covering to get a step and then get around the corner and score.   There are guys who are better in my mind.  Carino had a stupid penalty last week so did not play today?? 

Agree with this "re-watch the F/O violation at the ½, you will see 100% blown call (announcers will confirm—umass totally jumped early, UA guy never moved a muscle, umass awarded ball. Did not cost UA the game but would have flipped the f/o stat to UA +. )"  I yelled it at the time.  Same thing happend in the Cornell game.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dslyank said:

I hear ya. Apparently another 1,024 people suffered as well. At opening faceoff it was 86 here with the AC blasting.  Except for getting flat out beat on a few plays, the D played well enough to win. But the O was atrocious. Not a lot of movement, every play blocked by quick counter moves by the UMass D, Shooter Sheehan firing away at bad angles (at least he did get a couple…one on a rebound), Hogg and Pucci stymied, careless passes, getting out fought for ground balls. The offense was offensive to say the least. 

• Like 1