UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Lee McElroy retiring

jimbo

For the majority of it all, Lee was a very good administrator, with a good disposition and worked well with his staff, the community, the athletes, and fans.  That being said, there were some warts: 1) Failure to truly fundraise at a competent level for D1; 2) Failure to provide adequate facilities for the D1 level, but for Fallon Field and the FH turf.  Reason- see point 1; 3) Failure to politic enough or hire the right lobbyists to get us what we needed for SEFCU and Casey Stadium.  I cannot tell you all HOW close we came to a CCSU type football facility. Like this close (two fingers nearly touching).   He had grand ambitions for SEFCU and Casey but he read the temp / room wrong on how to get what he needed.  Didn't help that a great athletics supporter President of the school had unexpectedly passed.  

Overall, Lee is a really good man, good administrator, etc. but the time was right for him to move on from Albany. I wish him the best in retirement.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Lee was a good person, while Rensselaer has had athletic success in sports, just not where it counts, men's ice hockey.

RPI

AD McElroy set to retire

Administrator, who also led UAlbany, to step down June 30

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F05%2F26&id=Pc0110900&ext=.jpg&ts=20230526070459
Michael P. Farrell / Times Union archive

RPI athletic director Lee McElroy is retiring effective June 30 after a career that included 14 years at the University at Albany.

RPI athletic director Lee McElroy, who shepherded the University at Albany into Division I before leading the Engineers program, is retiring.

New RPI president Martin Schmidt announced Thursday on his web page McElroy will retire effective June 30.

“Let us all thank Lee for his leadership in creating a robust, successful, team-oriented Department of Athletics,” Schmidt wrote. “We extend to Lee and his family best wishes in retirement.”

Efforts to reach McElroy were unsuccessful.

UAlbany hired McElroy as athletic director in July 2000 as the school was entering its second season as a Division I program. He spent 14 years with the Great Danes. During his tenure, UAlbany joined the America East Conference and won 74 league titles and made 31 NCAA postseason appearances.

UAlbany also built Casey Stadium, its football and men’s lacrosse home, and became a football-only member of the Colonial Athletic Association.

“He was outstanding,” said Great Danes men’s lacrosse coach Scott Marr, hired a month after McElroy in 2000. “I loved working for him. I pretty much owe my existence in Division I as a head coach to him. Just a wonderful person. Him and (his wife) Karen both are just loving and really nurtured me the beginning of my career. Just a great guy.”

McElroy announced his retirement from UAlbany in 2014. But RPI hired him the following year to guide its program that is Division III in all sports except for the Division I men’s and women’s hockey teams. RPI football went to the NCAA quarterfinals in 2018 and 2021.

McElroy hired current head men’s hockey coach Dave Smith, who is entering his sixth season.

“First and foremost, I think, his experience in higher ed and athletics and where he’s been in his life provided him the skills,” Smith said. “He is a terrific mentor. His ability to connect with people and navigate the athletics not only at RPI but across the country is exceptional. I really enjoy speaking with him. We share a lot of similar values in terms of family and connection and commitment to people and I think from the beginning with Lee, we both realized that.”

McElroy was honored in June 2015 with the Minority Opportunities Athletic Association Distinguished Service Award for his dedication in promoting the understanding and appreciation of diversity. In 2020, he was the recipient of A Community of Excellence award from Saint Rose, where he was on the board of trustees, for his commitment, service, and contributions to Saint Rose and the Capital Region.

He received LifePath’s Third Age Achievement Award in April 2022 for significant contributions to the community after turning 60.

Prior to coming to the Capital Region, McElroy served as athletic director at American University and California State University-Sacramento and as associate athletic director at the University of Houston.

McElroy, a 1970 UCLA graduate, played linebacker for the Bruins.

▶› msingelais@- timesunion.com A 518-454-5509 A @MarkSingelais