UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX Game 1/OOC Game 1 vs Colgate Raiders (#20) Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium, Albany, NY Saturday, February 17, 2024, 1:00 PM

Colgate has wins over Penn State and Hobart and a loss to Syracuse.

Inside Lacrosse has taken notice of Colgate after the upset win over a highly touted Penn State team.

Feb 17 (Sat) 1:00 PM

vs 

Please note:  ESPN+ is streaming the game. 

Weather forecast for: 

Saturday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

As a veteran of extreme weather events at Casey Stadium, good boots, Woolrich socks, cold weather gloves, lined pants, and a wind resistant coat and hat wear, which will cover your ears are in order.

Edited by cwdickens
update

• cwdickens changed the title to MLAX Game 1/OOC Game 1 vs Colgate Raiders (#20) Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium, Albany, NY Saturday, February 17, 2024, 1:00 PM

An updated NWS forecast for Casey Stadium:

Saturday: A chance of light snow, mainly between 7am and noon, then a chance of snow showers after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. West wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Sounds like mid-February weather to me. 

Game Day has arrived, may the creator look over our team and inspire our players.  The skies have brightened up north of Albany and looks same gazing to the south.

Today's Times Union article:

UALBANY MEN’S LACROSSE

Danes going with youth

Marr plans to play six freshmen in Saturday’s opener

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F02%2F17&id=Pc0080400&ext=.jpg&ts=20240217063857
Brent Warzocha/UAlbany

UAlbany graduate longstick midfielder Jake Piseno will help lead the Great Danes into Saturday's season opener vs. Colgate.

ALBANY — University at Albany men’s lacrosse coach Scott Marr said he’ll play six freshmen in Saturday’s season opener against Colgate at Casey Stadium.

They’ll make their college debuts against the surprising Raiders (2-1), who have already played three games, including an upset of then No. 4 Penn State.

“They’ve got to get through the first five minutes and kind of settle into the game,” Marr said Friday. “Hopefully we have some positives happen in the first half of the first period and get them kind of settled in a little bit. ... It’s the first game, so there’s definitely some nerves involved.”

Marr said attack Ryan Doherty, midfielders James Reid and Jackson Palumb, longstick midfielder Jacob Smith, close defenseman Cade Galko and goalkeeper Landon Whitney are the freshmen who will play against Colgate.

“Probably half the squad playing tomorrow will be sophomores and freshmen,” Marr said.

Marr said he’ll rely on veterans such as longstick midfielder Jake Piseno, attack/midfielder Graydon Hogg and midfielders Conner Fingar and Darien LaPietro, all graduate students, to help the young players get through their early jitters.

“We always take deep breaths and get them settled down,” Piseno said. “I think that they’re ready for the spotlight. I think all the guys are ready to play on this stage.”

The Great Danes are opening at home after starting on the road the past two seasons.

“Very excited,” Piseno said. “It’s a long-awaited journey, getting to this first game.”

UAlbany scrimmaged Cornell last week. After the Big Red started fast, UAlbany tied them in the second and third quarters, Marr said.

Now they’ll play for real against Colgate, which was picked eighth in the Patriot League but has wins over Penn State and Hobart sandwiched around a loss at Syracuse.

“Not that I was looking to schedule an easy team, but we’d scrimmaged them the past couple of years and did fine in our scrimmages versus them,” Marr said. “They’ve come out of the gates hot. They’ve got a new defensive coordinator (Judd Lattimore), so they’re a little more aggressive. They’ve gained some confidence.”

COLGATE AT UALBANY

When: 1 p.m. Saturday

Where: Casey Stadium, Albany

TV: ESPN+ (streaming)

2 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

critical errors hurt them. Could have won. Young kids learning. No such this as good loses, but I can call it that. On to the next.

I would agree. I still am not seeing anyone who can win a one on one matchup. That is one reason I am a bit surprised Hogg is coming out of the box. He was pretty much a non factor on offense, especially for a 5th year senior. 

All depends on the growth over the next 2-3 games, but for a team playing its 4th game vs our first overall I felt OK with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

critical errors hurt them. Could have won. Young kids learning. No such this as good loses, but I can call it that. On to the next.

Yup, several possessions late and either bad pass or no communication that a double team was coming and caused turnover.