UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

This is a nice way of firing Kornhauser. Is Ford Next? I believe before Albany makes the next step upward Ford will be replaced. I hope not but if they are going to go higher they need(Simpson, I hope) a Tom Massella who is young and huingry. I truley believe Ford is still capable but does Hall or McElroy?

SBU with its facilities is tired of getting their ass kicked and are looking at CCSU's new coach come in a make the program competitive immediatly. SBU should be challenging for the NEC every year, but they are not.

Albany better keep pace and soon or we could see a similar fate at good ol Albany.

P.S. SBU WLL NEVER BE 1A or will Albany.

I was in graduate school when Bob Ford arrived on campus and I went to the first practice of that first team. Anyone remember Bernie Boggs? He was about the only star player in those days when we couldn't beat Hudson Valley Community College - but could beat Siena. Anyway, that was a long time ago. It's hard to accept the fact that the era of Coach Ford will come to an end someday, but time does march on. I certainly hope that day is still a long way off. Most of all, I hope that Coach Ford makes the decision when to leave and is not pressured into it by anyone. For what he has accomplished and the way that he did it - always with the greatest integrity - he has earned the right to do it his way when he is ready. This University owes him at least that much.

9402[/snapback]

Why is there such resistance to Stony Brook or Albany going IA?

Certainly their track records thus far do not seem quite as ambitious as a move to IA but there must be some value in it since so many universities have made that move or contemplated doing so. There is no better way to get a universities name out there on a regular basis than athletics. Both SB and Albany plan on playing major roles in the economies of their respective regions. SB located near a population of over two million could certainly host a IA Football program. Not sure of the population surrounding Albany but I could believe the capital region would be supportive of athletics if done right. With the major capital building and fundraising going on at both universities a properly funded IA program would be great.

9402[/snapback]

Why is there such resistance to Stony Brook or Albany going IA?

9442[/snapback]

It's not resistance so much as an expectation that the necessary funding just ain't gonna happen. No history of any great enthusiasm for sports by the students, alumni, or administration (until 1986, athletic scholarships were never allowed at any SUNY institution). Competition for the entertainment dollar by pro sports. Infected by the Smallbany attitude, long-term disappointment/frustration by how long took to get the program just to the point it is now.

The Albany metro area has a population of about 800,000 - plenty for a I-A program if we were in a college football hotbed like Alabama, but not here. The only I-As in all of NYS are Syracuse, Buffalo (barely), and Army, compared to at least 8 in Texas and 5 in Louisiana.

I've not read the board in a while, but kudos on what sounds like a good crowd for the Hofstra game.

However, since I've always been one to pop off about the I-A thing, I don't think it's feasible for UAlbany. I don't know enough about Stony Brook to talk to their situation. Hey, they got their stadium so they are doing some things right.

First off, I think the SUNY system learned its lesson with UB's fiasco with entering I-A football. They have even done a report that suggests they look into abandoning that effort and pare back their athletics offerings to concentrate on somethings they can win at.

UB is the laughing stock of I-A football; regularly trashed on ESPN.com and other web sites as being one of the worst, if not the worst I-A team. That has been the case since their entry into I-A.

To quote NYC Fan:

but there must be some value in it since so many universities have made that move or contemplated doing so. There is no better way to get a universities name out there on a regular basis than athletics.

The question I would ask is, is it really better to have your name out there as the worst I-A team, people laughing at you and asking if you're serious, than to have a I-AA team that is competitive but doesn't get as much (negative) ink? I don't think it is.

Secondly, the physical infrastructure for I-A football is not in place at UAlbany, and I doubt it ever will be. Even if the proposed stadium is build, and becomes expandable, I don't know if it would be big enough for the attendance standards that you must meet for entry into and retention of I-A football.

Point 2B, even if said stadium is built and expanded to the point where you can average the allotted number of fans per game for I-A, where are those fans going to park? The campus is nearing capacity for all things parking, and the stadium is not going to help that situation at all (not to mention the location of the new stadium is not condusive to that tiny entrance on Western Ave and will quickly create traffic nightmares outside that entrance, especially if you predict I-A and all the fans that supposedly come with it).

Thirdly, you can run a I-AA program out of tiny offices in a delapidated building that has been around forever and get away with it. You cannot and will not get by with the facilities that are in place with a I-A football team. You would need to not only have a new weight room facility for I-A football, but you would also need a new football training room, and new football office complex/video room. Some of these things could be built into the new stadium, but I don't know the space requirements and what is being planned.

Fourthly, in terms of personnel, to go to the I-A level you are talking about hiring full-time coordinators and assistant coaches, plus multiple graduate assistants. There will be no part-timers on a I-A staff if you are serious about winning. You will need a full-time video coordinator and editing suite. You will need probably 2-3 secretaries, you will need a dedicated full-time staff of academic support personnel (in addition to what you have now), you will need additional compliance oversight (I-A is its own monster, dealing with players, talent and issues that I-AA can only dream of). You will need a dedicated footbally-only strength person.

Again, you can get away with scrimping and saving here and there with a I-AA level team, and you won't get away with that at the next level. These people will all need expanded facilities/office space.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming big. But I think it's more important to dream realistically.

Even shooting for what Montana has at the I-AA level is ambitious dreaming. But I think that the administration knows that is a more attainable level of success than I-A.

Due to technical difficulties (most of which are recurring) I have not posted in a while and need to keep this short.

D2k....I agree with you wholeheartedly. One thing though: UA is first in line for the Harriman Complex according to my "sources" in the LOB. Any needed space for parking will come there. Also, the new stadium plans feature tremendous IA style offices and weight facilities. That being said, I would rather strive for MOntana or Delaware status first and foremost.

I believe what I have read is UB wants to pare back other sports to put more resources ino football, not the other way around. They also wanted to also do hockey which is an area where they could be a factor almost immediately.

I agree, I think that was the assessment. But there are going to cuts to help fund football, which I believe is a losing endeavor. So basically, to fund something that is always going to be a piece of poop with a bow on it, they are going to sacrifice some other sports where they could actually have an impact.

And then to add something like men's and women's ice hockey is going to bring about even more cuts in other programs.

Would that be good for UAlbany? I think the school would be better off staying I-AA and putting the money into the Olympic sports, and becoming a perennial NCAA contender in many sports, than cutting back to have a mediocre football team at the next level.

Thank-You Maine Jeff...EXACTLY!!!!!

Build it they will come. Look at how many people showed for Hofstra (6200)on a beautiful Sat night...(the intrest is catching)and they are not even a name opponent. Build a beautiful new stadium, fund the program with 63 rides(we will be a force in full scholarship football in 3-4 years...tremendous exposure from the Giants, great players in the Capital District, and were getting better cakliber players NOW) and watch 6000 become 12,000. Granted we need a good product and an named opponent but we could have a great experience even in November with a playoff bid on the line.

Just for the record I have NO DESIRE for 1A football. Fully funded 1AA is all we need. Maine Jeff is right we would be a power within 5 years. Cheap tuition, playing good competition, and a brand new facility. We would be getting players that were considering big schools. Not just local kids but kids all over NJ, NYS, and CT