UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Some former Danes

I was curious how a few former Danes were making out so I checked.

Kiki Picard, remember him? He's know known as Markey Picard. He went JUCO after leaving UA. He is now the starting PG for Bethune Cookman. He's averaging 9.5 pts. 4 rebounds and 4 assists so far this season.

Dustin Brown, never actually played at UA. Signed a LOI then prepped. Didn't come to town after Beeten was fired. Now at Loyola Marymount. Averaging 6 pts and 3 boards a game as a soph.

Herman Banks, at Paris Junior College. Has only appeared in 2 of his teams 10 games. 2 rebounds and no points this year.

Guard from Gloversville whose name I won't mention that transferred to Coastal Carolina. Averaging 19 pts a game and shooting over %50 from three in five games.

apparently the ill feelings remain for some ... the transfer by the "Guard from Gloversville" was disappointing ... but i still appreciate the night in 01-02 that he almost singlehandedly upset siena, and in the process gave the UA program a little credibility on an ugly evening ... reports were that his main issue in not returning to the team were family related ...

Just trying to be sensitive to my fellow Danes fans as I know there are still some hard feelings about that whole situtation.

You're right though about the $iena game. That game really put him on the map and struck some fear into $iena fans heart. They followed that sitation very closely last year and were relieved when he stayed at Coastal.

Michael Clarke, the "prized" recruit denied admission under Beeten right before he imploded, ended up going prep for one year and then signing with Central Connecticut State: http://www.northeastconference.org/release...ignees0203.html

But alas, now the laddie has transferred to DII or DIII (not sure) Clarion in Pennsylvania (very end): http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03318/239647.stm

Well, we know where Rashee Durant ended up after getting "home sick" in his first couple days at UAlbany:

http://www.hsc.edu/athletics/basketball/20...roster0102.html

"Meanwhile, sophomores Rashee Durant and Brian Gunn each saw significant time running the point for the Tigers in 2002. Durant played in 25 games, made three starts and averaged 4.6 points and 2.4 boards-per-game to go along with 47 assists." However, he was not on the 2002-03 roster I found ...

So where did he go after that? Intramurals. Yikes. http://www.hsc.edu/studentlife/intramural/.../a_rosters.html

Although he was only a walk-on, Jemel Williams is back home in Rochester at Monroe Community College. Kind of a sad story really, he was originally offered by Niagara and by all accounts was a legitimate player. Went to Albany to walk-on and eventually earn the schollie, but got left out in the cold and left early in the year. http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports...9_general.shtml

The "he's back...he's gone.....no he's back again......no he's gone again, guard from Gloversille" certainly could shoot! And although I wasn't happy with the way he jerked us around I am glad to hear he is playing and doing well. It would have been a shame to see a talent like that wasted. Without knowing the particulars which drove him to handle his situation at Albany the way he did, and hearing rumblings re: personal/family problems,I guess we have to give him the benefit of the doubt......reluctantly.

DaneFan2K3 brought up alot of guys I forgot about. How I could forget about the whole Clarke thing I don't know. One other guy I remembered was Steve Albany. He transferred to Eckerd College in Florida but I think had reoccuring knee problems. Couldn't find that he played much down there.

No offense, but really all those previous guys you mentioned (besides Gallup) were or are not Division I talent. Despite being at the highest level since the '99-00 season, Jamar and Levi were really the program's first Division I talent players. I am sure I will hear arguments about Cetnar, Haggarty and Brand. I don't count JUCOs either because I feel you need to play at the highest level for all four years.

While I really liked Cetnar and Haggarty I won't argue with you over them as they played most of their career at D2. Will Brand though had a scholarship offer from Bowling Green and I'm pretty sure at least one other D1 school. He certainly wasn't the scorer either Levine or Wilson are, but he played out of position most of his college career and did whatever was needed. We could certainly use his defense and rebounding this year.

Brand didn't seem to have the temperment to be a solid interior presence at this level.

I don't think you can say Haggarty and Cetnar weren't Division I talents, especially considering that Cetnar is playing professionally (albeit in England).

It's interesting to note that a lot of the kids mentioned flamed out at the Division I level. That just goes to show they were recruiting mistakes. One exception could be Clarke, who did end up at CCSU but moved down a level, presumably to play more.

Michael Clarke is a basket case...played in my high school conference. Clarion is a garbage DII hoop program ever since the early 1990's (they had my teammate Joey Brauer who transfered to St. Leo's and Kwame Morten...a very very good player from Lafayette H.S. in Brooklyn). It is in the middle of nowhere (try Turkey Hole, PA as the closest town).

As for Haggerty...unbelievable shooter...just wouldnt be able to create off the dribble. He actually was a better shooter than Antoine! Would be a solid bench player in the AE. For those who have not seen Haggerty play, well...he could do some serious damage in the AE. He is as quick as these guards. He wanted to stay home and start from DAY 1. He torched Toledo, Ark-Little Rock (who had a legitimate guard...forgot his name) and Duquense. He has gotten much stronger since he left Albany. The league he plays in in England is not so bad. Terence Durham (a St. Bonnie Stud) played alongside him.

One player you are all forgetting....Andre Duncan. First DII player. If the kid wasnt a basket case he would have played NEC/AE level ball. Was an absolute DII terror. Big at 6'6' and 215+ and could shoot the three ball. Was an absolute animal. He was the ANTI-WYATT! He would probably start on this years team and would be a solid stud on next years team. He was supposed to go on and play Pro (i think he may have for a year) but last I heard...the 'tude got the best of him. Great baller though!