UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MAAC Tourney

Siena Fans know everything and we're just "clueless".

Lets see how this "Gala" event plays out.

Remember Siena is the self proclaimed "Crown Jewel of the MAAC" and with the Knick/Pepsi/TUC, all they have to do is choose which teams they want from the Big East, ACC, A10, CAA and etal.

I'm sure teams in the upper conference are on edge waiting for the invite to play in the MAAC/Siena event.

I guess we're just lucky to have a chance to participate.

Wait and Watch :D:D:D:o:o:o

Remember Siena is the self proclaimed "Crown Jewel of the MAAC" and with the Knick/Pepsi/TUC, all they have to do is choose which teams they want from the Big East, ACC, A10, CAA and etal.

The Red Foxes of Marist might think differently....and have they talked to any Jaspars lately (despite the mass evacuation of players)?

Not a big Manhattan fan...but now that I have to drop Seton Hall from my preferred list (well, not as long as they have one of the best play by play broadcasters in the business...maybe I can stick with them)..

Anyway, there is an opening on my list...and like I cheered for the ragtag-walk-ons who kept SJU's season going that dreadful year...I might be open to cheering for the guys who are hanging in there in Riverdale.

Today's Gazette has an article by Steve Amedio, their Siena beat writer about the tournament and other things Siena, which seem to contradict some of what we have heard and been led to believe.

1. The leagues to be represented in this tournament appear to be the MAAC, America East, Ivy, Patriot, Big South, Mid-America, Northeast and Colonial Athletic.

Note there is no mention of the Atlantic Ten or Big East as stated in the early KnickSaint ramblings on the Siena Board. In fact, the MAAC administrator quoted in the artcle states "The event is attractive because it excludes the power conferences".

2. Regarding our participation, it says "Albany administrators appear likely to commit". My question: are our administrators at odds with the coaching staff on this issue?

3. Regarding when we would play, it says "The two local teams would meet on the tournament's opening night at the Pepsi" I recall KnickSaint saying we would potentially meet in the second round and mid-week. To be honest, if we play them on a weekend night, i would find the entire concept more attractive.

Two other subjects of interest in the article:

4. Siena apparantly has a lot of holes in their schedule and are considering playing home and home with D-1 newcomer, New Jersey Institute of Technology. What kind of RPI does a newcomer usually have?

5. This one actually irritates me the most - Siena women have a home game against UAlbany (date to be determined). If the women's game is not part of a mens - womens doubleheader, why not alternate home courts? The women played at Siena last year, in the game that cost Tanika Thrower her season.

:D:P:D:P:D:P

From what statefan posted about the Gazette article.......

1. Surprise, surprise no Big East or A10.

2. Albany administrators likely to commit - that sounds like a definite.

3. Siena thinking of going Home and Home with NJIT??????? They'll pack the knick/pepsi/TUC or will they play it on campus.

4. I think it's fine to play NJIT but to play them twice. Maybe we should follow our neighbors and do the same, HELL they are much more experienced at this then we are. Two games against a potential 300RPI team is good I guess???????

5. I find it amazing that NJIT can possibly get a home game from Siena but Siena's afraid to play at the RACC.

Just remember wait & watch, anything can happen.

Some time ago, there was speculation of the AE Board that NJIT could become the tenth member of the AE.

Now, lest anyone think I just make this stuff up, let me quote today's Gazette "the Saints have a total of five non-league games set and four more to fill. D'Argenio said two of those might comeagainst fledgling Division 1 program New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), which would be Siena's first home-and-home meeting with a non-league foe in the program's history."

From the Siena board...

"I heard today that getting commitments from enough teams has become an issue. Many teams were already scheduled to play games during the weekend when the event is to be held at the Pepsi, and finding new dates that work for moving those games can be a problem. We should know for sure by Wednesday, one way or the other." -KnickSaint

From the Siena board...

"I heard today that getting commitments from enough teams has become an issue.  Many teams were already scheduled to play games during the weekend when the event is to be held at the Pepsi, and finding new dates that work for moving those games can be a problem.  We should know for sure by Wednesday, one way or the other." -KnickSaint

14584[/snapback]

Shocker of all shockers....when you wait until May to start scheduling a tournament, quality teams are already scheduled...the tournament in theory could be a decent idea, but I say wait until next year and do this thing right. Don't put together a half-assed tournament with half-decent teams!!!!

From the Siena board...

"I heard today that getting commitments from enough teams has become an issue.  Many teams were already scheduled to play games during the weekend when the event is to be held at the Pepsi, and finding new dates that work for moving those games can be a problem.  We should know for sure by Wednesday, one way or the other." -KnickSaint

14584[/snapback]

Shocker of all shockers....when you wait until May to start scheduling a tournament, quality teams are already scheduled...the tournament in theory could be a decent idea, but I say wait until next year and do this thing right. Don't put together a half-assed tournament with half-decent teams!!!!

14589[/snapback]

The tournament in theory could be a decent idea, but it would help if someone competent was running it instead of Siena or the MAAC!