UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany + Maine Bracketbustas

From the AE Site:

Albany, Maine Picked for Fifth-Annual BracketBusters Pool

The University at Albany and University of Maine men's basketball teams have been selected to the pool of teams to participate in the fifth-annual BracketBusters series, which will be televised on ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN 360 on Friday-Saturday, February 16-17.

In all, a total of 102 teams will compete in the 51-game, two-day event. Thirteen of the 51 match-ups pitting potential NCAA Tournament hopefuls against each other will be televised nationally, highlighted by a total of six games on ESPN2. An additional five games will be aired on ESPNU -- ESPN’s 24-hour collegiate sports network which launched on March 4, 2005 -- and two on ESPN360 -- ESPN’s customized broadband service.

"Having been fortunate enough to receive nationally televised games for the past two BracketBusters series, we are extremely excited once again to have two teams chosen to the BracketBusters pool," said America East Commissioner Patrick Nero. "Albany and Maine are expected to be two of our top programs for the upcoming season, so we couldn't be happier to have them included in this tremendous event. The chance to gain national exposure through ESPN's various networks is a great opportunity for not only Albany and Maine, but also America East"

In last season's BracketBusters series, Albany traveled to Virginia Commonwealth where the Great Danes lost a highly contested battle, 70-67, live on ESPNU before a raucous crowd of 6,684. In 2005, Vermont was chosen to participate in the field as the Catamounts traveled to Reno, Nev. to take on the Western Athletic Conference's Nevada live on ESPN2 where UVM was defeated 74-64.

The match-ups for the BracketBusters series will be determined by ESPN in conjunction with the conferences approximately three weeks prior to the event (Sunday, January 28, 2007). As part of the agreement, home teams will play a "return" game at the home facility of their BracketBusters series opponent in November or December of the following season. Both Albany and Maine have been tabbed "road" teams for the 2007 event, which will result in a home game versus their selected opponent during the 2007-08 season.

From the last five NCAA Tournaments, a total of six Sweet Sixteen squads, a regional finalist and a Final Four participant are included in the pool of teams in the 2007 BracketBusters series. George Mason reached the national semifinals of the 2006 NCAA Tournament, Kent State advanced to an Elite Eight game in the 2002 NCAA Tournament, while Southern Illinois (2002), Butler (2003), Nevada (2004), UW-Milwaukee (2005), Bradley (2006) and Wichita State (2006) have made Sweet Sixteen appearances. In all, the 2007 BracketBusters pool boasts a total of 70 team appearances in the last five NCAA Tournaments.

In an effort to provide a greater opportunity for NCAA Tournament-caliber teams, the event has expanded its pool of teams (18 in 2003, 46 in 2004, 64 in 2005, 100 in 2006) each year to produce a better cross section of squads for the basketball bonanza.

daneguy04 - This is from DP's original post from the AE site

Both Albany and Maine have been tabbed "road" teams for the 2007 event, which will result in a home game versus their selected opponent during the 2007-08 season.

[reading is fundamental]

daneguy04 - This is from DP's original post from the AE site

Both Albany and Maine have been tabbed "road" teams for the 2007 event, which will result in a home game versus their selected opponent during the 2007-08 season.

[reading is fundamental]

15756[/snapback]

I had to read it a few times too. Must be something in the Long Island water...

SSS!

(and that does not mean that Scott is Still Stupid)

A couple of possible regional opponents who will have Bracket Buster home games:

Hofstra - Should be terrific this year. A great game to see.

Buffalo - Two state schools going head to head.

Marist - Close by and will probably be near the top of the MAAC this year.

Considering that Siena is a home team in this year Bracket Buster maybe we shouldn't have scheduled a game with them and just got matched up in the BB. Probably would have sold out with the game on ESPN.

A couple of possible regional opponents who will have Bracket Buster home games:

Considering that Siena is a home team in this year Bracket Buster maybe we shouldn't have scheduled a game with them and just got matched up in the BB. Probably would have sold out with the game on ESPN.

15764[/snapback]

I would bet my dollars on Buffalo or Hofstra. Both games would have a tv shot.

15764[/snapback]

Would $iena have agreed to that? If they did, they would have been contracted to give US a home game next year - and I don't think we'd reserve the good seats for their season-ticket holders.

15764[/snapback]

I am fine with keeping the game as scheduled vs Siena and hoping for a game against a better team than Siena in the bracketbuster game like VCU last year or any of the teams listed above.

For you LI guys - you never know what's else is in the saltwater down there - Stick to the alcohol - the salt water will turn your brain into taffy.

15763[/snapback]

I got the alcohol covered, we get along quite nicely. As for reading, why should I bother when I know that I have you guys to do it for me...my forte with Great Dane hoops is more focused on vulgar chants and mooning the Vermont bus right before the AE championship!!!!!

Danes v Siena (as the home team) in a bracketbuster game?

#1 After we disembowel them the afternoon of 12/2, as a prelude to their MAAC season, Siena will be as likely to secure a post season bracket as will NJIT.

#2 They don't want us because then they'd have to come to our house the next year. [There's not enough air freshener on earth to remedy that possibility].

For you LI guys - you never know what's else is in the saltwater down there - Stick to the alcohol - the salt water will turn your brain into taffy.

15763[/snapback]

I got the alcohol covered, we get along quite nicely. As for reading, why should I bother when I know that I have you guys to do it for me...my forte with Great Dane hoops is more focused on vulgar chants and mooning the Vermont bus right before the AE championship!!!!!

15770[/snapback]

As heard doing 55 MPH plus coming out of the Exit 24 toll barrier on Saturday March 11th, 2006...

JL: "Hey guys I think that the Catamont bus is right next to us"

SW: "Should I moon them?"

JL with rest of car: "Duh! You have to moon them!"

I guess it would be too much to expect the Mooning guy to get with the "RIF" program. Nor would you expect the guy who encourages the Mooning guy to do so either.

SSS