UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

A few thoughts for Cornell

I begin every week by stating how insane our D is. I will say it AGAIN this week. That rb from CCSU (Rutgers) is as good a rb as UA will see not only this year but next as well. Colin & CO. aka...Our front 7 is savage and our secondary (with a few lapses) is better then advertised. Barksdale is a great addition and I believe he has eligibility to play 3 more years. Too bad he will probably graduate(maybe grad school).

Defense gets an A- ... Late TD cost them an A+

Our passing game is emerging painfully slow, but it is beginning to take shape. What is great is we have some frosh recievers getting playing time and contributing to victories and the Gallucis and DeIranos are non factors. Defenses are now having to pay attention to somewhat of a pass package. The qb fumbles are gonna kill us some weekend, they must be corrected. He cost UA two scores because of fumbles.

Offense gets a C+ ... I know we won but our D has won all 3 games(they will need the O to be better)

P.S.

Someone tell our O-line it is time to take over games and get our running game in gear for real. They play well enough and the penalties have gone down but they are not kicking a$$ like their size dictates they should. Our backs need to get 100 yards. Our TE is non existent but is a GREAT blocker.

Special Teams gets an A+ ...Big help in every game this season. Blocked punts, safties,FIELD GOALS, and effective punting.

Coaching gets a B+ ... Good playcalling by Rossomundo and Simpson. Great job by Ford to keep them grounded after huge win. The staff has yet to solve the turnover problem which will lose a game(See Fordham).

Overall I am thrilled by this years Defense and we will need them again on Sat. I do not fear Cornell like I have all of our other opponents. Cornell will be as good as previous teams with the exception of Delaware. UA needs to hit all cylinders on OFFENSE to be ready for the NEC stretch of the schedule. I believe we win in similar fashion,. Close to the vest ball control on offense and a suffocating defense. they have a good QB and TE and I believe we will be tested more in the air.

UA 20

Cornell 10

Excellent analysis, Ruler.

16499[/snapback]

I second that. I want to talk about our secondary for a moment. In years past, we would be torched by one or two long passes a game that would cause defeat.

Neugebauer hits like a mack truck and is all over the place. I honestly think he plays the position as well as anyone we have had. CHROBAK...has been pretty damned good in coverage and you ALWAYS hear his name when the Front 7 breaksdown.

Barksdale? $ienaE...what more can you say. His poppa (remember Barksdale was "afraid" to tell his dad his decision?) must be SUPER PROUD. With his size, speed, and athleticsm, this kid is a legit prospect. He is so big it is hard for anyone to create matchup problems with him. Plus, look at how important he is for the special teams.

I am not sure about eligibility, but if he can play one more year (like Ruler said...grad school), IMHO he should. He needs to learn some more basic skills...and then we may have another DANE NFL'er.

I also would like to mention two frosh on Offense (not discounting our Frosh LB who has been very important). Colin Simmons: Man is this kid exciting. We have a legit three prong attack (along with the masher Beigel...who has pretty good hands) in Johnson, Allen, and Simmons. At first I couldnt understand the split b/w the three....however now I do. It is an unbelievable change of pace. You have the pure runner in Allen. Then you bring in Johnson...who the hell wants to tackle a 6'2 230 lb tailback? The kid not only is big, but is shifty. Finish it all off with Simmons, a pure scatback. He reminds me of a poor man's Eric Metcalf. Looks tiny, but man the kid just finds a way to churn out yards. Thankfully he is not bigger...we may have lost him to a school that is bigger. Their loss, our gain.

The second frosh, you may think is Blasinsky...and he is going to be a monster for us, but my pick is someone I have been hyping since DAY 1: JASON SMITH. The kid has great size at 6'2 185 (you have to think he will toss on 15-20 more in his three years of eligibility). He has pretty good speed and he seems to have worked out the "dropsies." What impresses me the most is that when we needed a big catch he either got himself open and available and/or caught a tough pass. Remember...he is in his infantile stage of College Football development. We get three more years of his growth.

Finally, I want to make a special mention to a favorite position that rarely gets play on boards: TE. Ross Jatkola made a stupid and almost costly penalty. The kid came back on the next play and made an unbelievable catch and run to get us a huge and important gain. WAY TO KEEP YOUR HEAD INTO IT!!!

There are so many others I would like to mention who dont get mentioned often (Dupont, McCloskey, Pandolf, Sheehan, and more....), but I will leave at this:

WE ARE WATCHING A VERY SPECIAL YOUNG GROUP OF GUYS....many of which return next season!!

WOW! :)

Edited by Dane96

Dane 96, ditto on Jason Smith. As I watched from the west end of the field on sat. nite, I was very impressed at his speed and felt that he may be the best all-around receiver we have right now, though I still like Wall's speed and Furnace's (sp.?) hands. And I totally agree with Ruler on this point: we have some very talented receivers. We just need to get the passing game in sync. When that happens, as I think it will with Blasinsky maturing so quickly, the running game will open up a little more. Wow! And this is still a very young team.

16499[/snapback]

I am not sure about eligibility, but if he can play one more year (like Ruler said...grad school), IMHO he should. He needs to learn some more basic skills...and then we may have another DANE NFL'er.

16501[/snapback]

I am not sure but I think he is done after this year. The NCAA has a rule where you can have five years of eligibility. Four in one sport (Baseball for Barksdale ) and then one more year in a different sport. I think this is the case for him but I am not sure.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the defense won all three games; the O gained over 300 yds. vs. Delaware, and without that we couldn't have played the field position game.

But you're right, if they don't start punching it in more, they've GOT to hold onto the ball.

The passing game is improving, but it's got to get more vertical. Most of the big gainers have been throwing across the field to get the back one-on-one against a DB. Most of the deep stuff hasn't been too successful yet.

Dane 96, ditto on Jason Smith.  As I watched from the west end of the field on sat. nite, I was very impressed at his speed and felt that he may be the best all-around receiver we have right now, though I still like Wall's speed and Furnace's (sp.?) hands.  And I totally agree with Ruler on this point: we have some very talented receivers.  We just need to get the passing game in sync.  When that happens, as I think it will with Blasinsky maturing so quickly, the running game will open up a little more.  Wow!  And this is still a very young team.

16505[/snapback]

There is clearly some talent in the freshman and sophomore classes but I'm not sure I would agree that "this is still a very young team." On offense, 10 of 11 starters are juniors or seniors with only the QB position being played by underclassmen. On defense, 8 of 11 starters are juniors or seniors.

I'm gonna be at Cornell on Saturday. Anyone else making the short trip down/over there?

16522[/snapback]

I will be there. Making it a doubleheader with Wyoming at Syracuse at 1:30 before the Albany game. Should be getting to Cornell around 6.

16580[/snapback]

Thats a sweet weekend!

Just got this email from Carmelina:

To all headed to Ithaca for the #23 ranked Great Danes vs. Cornell this Saturday, September 30, look for the purple and gold UAlbany Alumni Association tent in the Crescent Parking Lot for liquid refreshments and munchies before the game courtesy of Athletics and the Alumni Association.

Tent will be set up an hour or so before the game.  Don't forget, 7:00pm kick-off. 

The event will be hosted by Don Ostrom. His cell number is (518) 542-7029.

Go Great Danes!

Tickets won't be a problem, as Cornell had about 5,000 for Yale and Schoellkopf Stadium holds over 25,000. The regs say tailgating may begin four hours before game time. The Crescent Lot is behind the stadium, off Dryden Road (Rt. 366 from Rte. 13 if you're coming off I-81 from Syracuse)

Cornell campus map