UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game Thread: Siena

Wait...Haggyland...that WAS A TRAVELLING CALL ON THE BASELINE?! We thought it was stepping over the line. We couldnt hear or see the call.

BTW, I agree with Statefan...we didnt do enough to win that game. He actually came down to talk to me at one point where we were both distraught by some of the action towards the end of the game.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait...Haggyland...that WAS A TRAVELLING CALL ON THE BASELINE?!  We thought it was stepping over the line.  We couldnt hear or see the call.

BTW, I agree with Statefan...we didnt do enough to win that game.  He actually came down to talk to me at one point where we were both distraught by some of the action towards the end of the game.

18214[/snapback]

From the T-U:

"Siena missed two chances to win at the end of regulation. With 6.5 seconds left, the Saints ran an inbounds play to Michael Haddix; he was called for an offensive foul and fouled out. But after UAlbany's Brian Lillis mistakenly ran the baseline on the ensuing possession, resulting in a traveling violation, Siena got the ball back with 1.6 seconds to play. This time, Hasbrouck missed a jumper."

At the time, I thought he stepped on the line also. It was a crucial tiem for such a mistake. Anyone know all the rules on those plays?....

I think I knew this but:

http://www.betterbasketball.com/basketball-rules/

Is traveling allowed when trying to inbound the ball?

There are two situations where an in bounder may travel when trying to inbound the ball. Basketball rules states that after a made basket, the inbounder may run the baseline as they look for a teammate to pass the ball to. The inbounder can run the baseline after a timeout if the timeout was taken after a made basket. The second situation is an out of bounds play other than after a made basket. Once the referee hands the ball to the in bounder, the player must stay within a three-foot area of the place they were given the ball. The in bounder may move both feet, but once they move beyond the three foot area, it becomes a violation.

Wait...Haggyland...that WAS A TRAVELLING CALL ON THE BASELINE?!  We thought it was stepping over the line.  We couldnt hear or see the call.

BTW, I agree with Statefan...we didnt do enough to win that game.   He actually came down to talk to me at one point where we were both distraught by some of the action towards the end of the game.

18214[/snapback]

From the T-U:

"Siena missed two chances to win at the end of regulation. With 6.5 seconds left, the Saints ran an inbounds play to Michael Haddix; he was called for an offensive foul and fouled out. But after UAlbany's Brian Lillis mistakenly ran the baseline on the ensuing possession, resulting in a traveling violation, Siena got the ball back with 1.6 seconds to play. This time, Hasbrouck missed a jumper."

At the time, I thought he stepped on the line also. It was a crucial tiem for such a mistake. Anyone know all the rules on those plays?....

18216[/snapback]

Ahhh...THAT makes more sense (though that ref still sucked a fat one). THat is probably why he was talking with the other ref. Yes, he cannot run the baseline in that situation.

I was annoyed because I thought the far ref called a step over the baseline violation.

Mea Culpa on that one by me.

Haggy,

I hear ya, but with the exception of one moron, Siena fans have been complimentary and classy. I think they realize just how close it was from going the other way and they aren't dumb enough to come here and talk smack since they are lucky they pulled it out. I think you'll see them rubbing it in like in a couple of month's or so if and when the discussion flares up about which team is better. You'll see all those 5 in 6 etc. etc. etc. comments. Nothing we can do but grin and bear it, we didn't do enough to close them out. Let's concentrate on our own team from here on out and let's see how we do. But I feel your pain brother, I feel your pain!

I like the 'wait 24 hour idea. Returning home late last night after traveling 1200 miles for the game - I've waited in excess.

There's not much more to add. I don't blame the refs, it was our game to win at the foul line and we didn't. Gifford's going to have a great UA career and Lillis plays harder than anyone else. I find it difficult to watch Iati struggle, not just on offense, but to see several Siena plays initiate with Iati being easily picked off and removed. He may get it back, he may not, but the coach is going to have to soon make some difficult decisions.

Regarding the fans - I sat among a small group of UA alumni in the corner on the opposite side of the arena, across from the UA sections. I can assure you all, there was as much vulgarity and inappropriate language coming from Siena students. At one point an older Siena alumni stood up and lectured them about civility. Shortly after, an altercation almost broke out and security had to surround the offending group of Siena students. I don't condone that kind of behavior - but if anyone thinks a college rivalry will ever NOT include that, they're dreaming. Its part of the ambiance and I enjoy it.

This was a disheartening and bitter experience. Siena, to their credit, always answered. To me, they and their fans and their tinkertoy campus still suck and will always suck.

Haggy,

I hear ya, but with the exception of one moron, Siena fans have been complimentary and classy.  I think they realize just how close it was from going the other way and they aren't dumb enough to come here and talk smack since they are lucky they pulled it out.  I think you'll see them rubbing it in like in a couple of month's or so if and when the discussion flares up about which team is better.  You'll see all those  5 in 6 etc. etc. etc. comments.  Nothing we can do but grin and bear it, we didn't do enough to close them out.  Let's concentrate on our own team from here on out and let's see how we do.  But I feel your pain brother, I feel your pain!

18222[/snapback]

What is more impressive about Siena posters this time around is that there is an almost complete lack of smack on their own board. Now, that is classy. I give them a lot of credit for their attitude this year.

In past years, we used to see a lot of smack, combined with comments from other posters that saw positve comments about UAlbany that were really delivered with a high degree of condescension. That side seems to be absent this year.

The goal I wanted to achieve from Siena fans was a realization by the majority of their posters that we were building a legitimate program over here that could challenge on most nights the majority of mid-major teams. It looks like we have gained their respect. What more can I hope for from them?

Let me add my compliments to their team for a generally well-fought game. Sure, they occasionally had their breakdowns, just as we did. I really thought we would have to deal with Haddix much more than we did, but their new players really stepped up and contributed substantially to their success. For the foreseeable future, we will not have any easy games against them.

I like the 'wait 24 hour idea. Returning home late last night after traveling 1200 miles for the game - I've waited in excess.

18224[/snapback]

From Singelais's Blog:

Having a day to digest it didn’t make UAlbany coach Will Brown feel any better about his team’s 76-75 double-overtime loss to crosstown rival Siena on Saturday.

‘’I don’t think there’s any reason to feel better,'’ Brown said Sunday while watching the UAlbany-Army women’s game. ‘’It was a game of lost opportunities. We had the game in the palm of our hands and we let it slip right through. Games like that come down to little things: execution, free throws. That was the biggest thing, the free throws.'’

Archived