UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game Thread: Siena

Fact of the matter is, we hit our free throws we win the game. You can't hang that on anyone but us. When it counted Jamar and Lillis didn't come through. In my opinion I don't think the officials gave Siena the game, saying they did only looks like we are a bunch of sore losers. You have to close it out and not leave it in the hands of officials, we didn't do that and had multiple opportunities to do so. It pains me to see us lose two years in a row in overtime. But let's face it last year we layed a goose egg when we were supposed to beat them handidly and this year the teams are more evenly matched. Hopefully our guys will learn from this. Next year Siena will be the overwhelming favorite as we lose Jamar and Siggers to graduation while they only lose Haddix and their freshmen will be even better.

I'm encouraged by Gifford, I don't think enough is being said about him but the kid can play. He OWNED Haddix in the post when the two were in the game. He repeatedly went right at him and over him. Nice to see.

Iati has completelly lost his game, he throws the ball at the floor and misses.

What do we have to do to make Lillis shoot more? He is solid both of the dribble (good strength) and spot up but he doesn't take enough.

Brian Conelly is very impressive. He is turning into a very nice energy player. Strong like bull and always around the ball. Currently giving us MUCH more then Covington.

Next year's incoming class of Billy Allen, Tim Ambrose and Anthony Raffa are very quick and athletic. But that's next year, this year we have a very solid team and should be able to take the AE and go dancing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As those who sit around me know, I complain about every call when the game is going on. When it's over I know I'm not objective enough to know if it was fair or not (except at the BCS schools where I know we'll probably get screwed). With Haddix fouling out on the charging call (speaking of iffy calls) and Siggers going bezerk in OT I have to say we had our chances to win. Others can disagree as we all saw it a different way and I was about a mile from the court anyway.

As far as I can see there's no shame in losing to a good team and saying it. Even if I'm not necessarily happy about. There were enough positives last night to make me optimistic about the 20+ games we have left.

PS. The paper says there were 1200+ people at the Patroons game last night. They were at the wrong place. - what were they thinking?

18152[/snapback]

At this point, Iati is an absolute detriment to this team. He brings nothing to the table other than a few crisp passes and the 3 ball, and he can't hit a three at all this year. It sucks to see him frustrated, but hes been so awful, and it really hurts us when he's in there

-" Officials, I know that DaneGuy mentioned this but it is worth touching on again. We were wondering how much a MACC referee costs?"

I have to tell you, have seen Siena play in a couple Of MACC tournaments at the Pepsi...and that's the question Marist fans and some of the other schools want to know. I think that it has to do, then, with selling final session tickets...so making sure that Siena gets into the final.

-" Officials, I know that DaneGuy mentioned this but it is worth touching on again.  We were wondering how much a MACC referee costs?"

I have to tell you, have seen Siena play in a couple Of MACC tournaments at the Pepsi...and that's the question Marist fans and some of the other schools want to know. I think that it has to do, then, with selling final session tickets...so making sure that Siena gets into the final.

18159[/snapback]

That's a ridiculous statement. The Pepsi Arena has hosted 11 or 12 MAAC tournaments and Siena has made it to the finals three times - twice under Hewitt in 1997 and 1998 and once under Lanier in 2002. And Siena has only one once, under Lanier in 2002. Here's a tip, tell you point guard to start making free throws instead of blaming the officials.

soup,

I agree, anyone who claims that the officials gave the game to Siena is just plain bitter and a sore loser. I was as upset as anyone, but you don't leave it to the officials you hit your throws. They choked on them hence we lost, simple as that. There was no real blatent call that I could see that gave the saints the win. If you have one lets hear it.

. . . Hopefully our guys will learn from this.  Next year Siena will be the overwhelming favorite as we lose Jamar and Siggers to graduation while they only lose Haddix and their freshmen will be even better. 

I'm encouraged by Gifford,  I don't think enough is being said about him but the kid can play.  He OWNED Haddix in the post when the two were in the game.  He repeatedly went right at him and over him.  Nice to see. 

What do we have to do to make Lillis shoot more?  He is solid both of the dribble (good strength) and spot up but he doesn't take enough.

Brian Conelly is very impressive.  He is turning into a very nice energy player.  Strong like bull and always around the ball. Currently giving us MUCH more then Covington.

Next year's incoming class of Billy Allen, Tim Ambrose and Anthony Raffa are very quick and athletic.  But that's next year, this year we have a very solid team and should be able to take the AE and go dancing.

18152[/snapback]

Last year our team did exactly that. We learned our lessons. Although we lost to Siena, almost immediately the team turned it around and we continued to play 3½ months later. Let's see if this year's team can turn things around, too. I am a lot more encouraged about this team this year at this point than I was last year at this point. UAlbany has a bright future ahead.

To clear the air and my good name (or at least what is left of it) I am not blaming the officials for our loss and anyone that that thinks that I believe that is why we lost clearly read the first line of my post and stopped. Try reading the whole post and then get back to me. But I hate to be the bearer of bad news but occasionally officiating does have something to do with the outcome of the game, and if you think differnelty you were not paying attention last night. To bring up one questionable call on Haddix that he fouled out on is fine, how many questionable calls were made against Albany last night, or the non call of Jamar getting run over at half court right before the ally oop...but putting all that aside we still should have won the game and that has to come down on no one other than the players.

As for my "shooting lights out comment" I was posting based on what I felt was what I saw, I did not have the opportunity to review the stat sheet.

Bottom line the officials DID NOT win this game for Siena or lose it for Albany but they sure didnt make it any easier for us to win it.

This was a game we didn't deserve to win, but should have won. Siena shot well, hit their foul shots, and repeated hit big jump shots when we opened a 4, 5, or 6 point lead. We were never able to consolidate a lead, in regulation or OT.

This loss is especially painful because Siena seems to be heading into an upward phase. They are a young team, with alot of talent and quickness. Ubiles was very impressive. They should be improving for the next couple of years. UA, on the other hand, would seem to be headed downward next year, with Jamar gone. A win last night would have sustained me for the next couple of years.

Now, for the positives:

Lillis - I thought he played a tremendous all around game. When he can stay out of foul trouble, he helps in alot of ways. Several Siena fans commented on how tough he was. He is very east to root for.

Gifford: He looked very comfortable on the floor. Not intimidated by the crowd or the "big time" setting. Showed some nice feel around the basket and can soot the jump hook with both hands.

Connelly: Also showed alot of toughness and looks ready to be a major contributor this year.

The UA fans: We dominated the atmosphere in the Arena. Siena had 2/3 of the fans and we made 3/4 of the noise. With a couple of previously noted exceptions, the Albany fans were positiveand energetic. The Siena crowd was waiting for something good to happen . We brought the chants and the passion. Lets keep it up at the home games this year.

My self-imposed rule is to wait at least 24 hours after being pissed off before posting.

18149[/snapback]

Statefan, I like your idea of self-imposed 24 hour exile after a game like Saturday's. I think I will give myself another 24 hours to contemplate things because:

1.) I can still hear the voices of the Siena fans on South Pearl Street after the game saying they cannot believe how many times they thought Siena was going to lose, while I stood there, bitter, thinking that they should have.

2.) When message board members from the opposing team show up on the losing team's boards and talk about how great of a game it was, and how we should just accept the fate that the team lost, I still think the intent is questionable. There is obviously going to be some residual emotions after a close and intense game like Saturday's, and by showing up and reminding people how to behave, I cannot imagine the reaction if the situation was reversed.

3.) I am still focused on what I perceived as tight officiating in the latter stages of the game, when I should also be focusing on things the team could control itself (free throws, traveling on the base line, turnovers.) From my vantage point some of the late calls appered biased, but I am swayed by the purple and gold myself, and I realize both teams had chances to win the game.

4.) The crowd enthusiasm on the Loudonville denizens only appeared intense towards the end of the game, when the outcome was nearly determined. I felt like I was in an arena where fan loyalty is directly tied to success, but again, I could just be seeing what I want to.

So, I guess I will give it 24 more hours to see if my perspective has changed, but right now I think fans of both teams should be concerned with their own ballclubs, and I think Wednesday against VCU will be a good, tough match-up.

GO GREAT DANES!

Needed a day...and a whirlwind trip from Albany to back home in Boston, with a stop up in Maine for a few FLO's Hot Dogs (Kittery) to decompress from this one. Hot Dogs and buying a clay pigeon thrower (and lots of shells to shoot them with) will clear any man's mind. And yes, I have some hillbilly in me. ;)

Awesome...no, RIDICULOUS GAME.

I have to admit...i was disappointed by the fans of both teams. The electricity lacked until the last 5min of regulation.

As for the game, UBILES, is the real deal. I have played and coached in a lot of games and he is as impressive as I have seen. He is long, athletic...and can shoot the lights out. Siena got themselves a good one. Hasbrouck...impressive. Siena is going to be very tough over the next couple of years.

As for UA, wish we got the win however it will be a great learning experience. We have to work on some things (rotation on defense, e.g. perimeter D, is definately one). I thought Brown coached a great game, using the subs fantastically, but I was suprised a bit by the two play calls with time running down (the Jamar 3 pointer...Siggers 3 pointer); I would have preferred us attacking Siena off the dribble.

Gifford is going to be special. You can see him laboring at times and he did miss some defensive assignments (heck...you dont need to know the game plan...you just had to look at Brown to know that) but he is further along than I expected. I would be shocked if he didnt average 17 and 9 by the end of his career.

I am getting a man-crush on Connelly. I called it last year after watching him a couple of times. I am sure the Siena fans were shocked by his athleticsm, tenacity, and skills around the basket. This kid is a former New Jersey First Team All-South player...and he showed it. He is a bundle of energy...and he wants the ball. We missed him posting up a couple of times. He and Gifford will be special over the next three years.

On to the "unspoken topic", referees. I thought the refs did a pretty good job overall. That being said, the one ref (and for a lack of knowing his name or number I will indicate him as the lone African-American) was G-D AWFUL. He was terrible for both sides. He called two phantom fouls (one on Haddix and one on Jamar) that were shocking. Furthermore, he made the incorrect call on three occasions...of instances where there was a foul. For instance, I forgot who had the ball for Siena, however the player was hacked (I heard the contact in the stands) by Albany. Calling a foul correctly, the ref called a "HOLD" on Albany. I was sitting with a former hoop coach at Academy for Girls...and we both looked at each other stupified with the call.

Now, of course I didnt see the play where Lillis stepped over the line (maybe he did) at the end, but the same ref made the call...and he was at the far end of the court. At first we thought the baseline ref called it...but then we saw the horrid ref do the talking and calling the violation. We even thought he was calling Lillis for walking along the baseline.

Suffice to say...this guy should not be reffing a big game again. The other two were fine...but he would have been at the bottom of AE refs...and WE HAVE SOME REALLY BAD ONES!

All in all...I wish we won but in the end...fans of both teams won. The players may feel the sting now, however as long as we both take care of business the CD should celebrate two teams on Selection Sunday in March.

Let the countdown to the 2007 Battle for the Capitol begin.

Good luck to both teams from here on out.

Archived