UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game Thread: Siena

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised by that total as well, I listened to the game last night on the Hofstra Radio and their play by play guy said there was 7k. It will be intresting to see how Siena's freshman handel playing in front of potentially 13-14k people, last night I believe was the largest crowd they have played in front of all year and that was maybe 1/3 of the size that will be at the Pepsi on Saturday. Atleast the Danes have experience playing at UConn infront of 10k.

Although I respect Siena--program and coach---I have a problem with Siena Tony thinking they are "quicker" than Albany and comparing Siena with UConn--"although not as quick".  We have the quickest team since we went D-I.  We just were not prepared for the change in quickness and defensive intensity of the UConn team.  UA kids are smart(aka intelligent), they will NOT be out-quicked by Siena.  It sounds like a great atmosphere for the game---having played in 4 of these games--it is the highlight of my year.

17980[/snapback]

Oldtimer,

I also think that the claim by Tony that Siena is quicker is a load of hog wash. He hasn't seen our team play a single time but is willing to stick his neck out and make a stupid claim like that. To each his own I suppose. It's also laughable to even mention the athletesism of UCONN and Siena in the same sentence. I would venture to say that we will have a much easier time with Siena's then we did with UCONN. After following some of their games, they are prone to start REALLY slow, if we jump on them early and keep up the defensive pressure we should be able to win this game.

4,848 at the Pepsi last night for Hofstra.  This seams low.  I thought Hofstra would be a high draw game.

17996[/snapback]

The Jewel of the MAAC drawing less than 5k for a monster OOC opponent? And yes...Hofstra SHOULD be considered a monster home game.

Look, nearly 5k is great...honestly...but it is not great in a huge arena. No matter what anyone says, the atmosphere is much better in a filled 5k barn...opposed to a 1/3 full arena (with drapes).

So.....if 11,000 tickets are pre-sold....and Siena drew 5k for Hofstra....what does that say about the growth of the game. More specifically, if Siena happens to average less than, oh, say 6k a game (taking out the ALBANY game), Dr. McElroy, whether the Siena fans want to admit it or not, will have much more firepower to negotiate some "upgrades" in the Siena-Albany series.

Remember...the school is very, very cozy with certain local and state leaders...heavy hitters, regarding the new football stadium. A little pressure by them on Siena (e.g. quid pro quo) would not be suprising.

They are not stupid...they realize how much $$$ this one game gives the local economy....and you can bet your arses there is no way in Sam's Hell this series would be discontinued over negotiations for a fair contract.

Bring on my puppy dog (come on Saints73....let's here it....better yet...brainstorm with Groovy first.)

Although I respect Siena--program and coach---I have a problem with Siena Tony thinking they are "quicker" than Albany and comparing Siena with UConn--"although not as quick".  We have the quickest team since we went D-I.  We just were not prepared for the change in quickness and defensive intensity of the UConn team.  UA kids are smart(aka intelligent), they will NOT be out-quicked by Siena.  It sounds like a great atmosphere for the game---having played in 4 of these games--it is the highlight of my year.

17980[/snapback]

Oldtimer,

I also think that the claim by Tony that Siena is quicker is a load of hog wash. He hasn't seen our team play a single time but is willing to stick his neck out and make a stupid claim like that. To each his own I suppose. It's also laughable to even mention the athletesism of UCONN and Siena in the same sentence. I would venture to say that we will have a much easier time with Siena's then we did with UCONN.

17999[/snapback]

To be fair, I would bet my lifesavings Tony has watched at least one Albany game (of the four this year). I may not see eye to eye with his comments...but I am sure he has seen Albany play.

4,848 at the Pepsi last night for Hofstra.  This seams low.  I thought Hofstra would be a high draw game.

17996[/snapback]

On first glance, this attendance figure does seem low for a school whose team is on the rebound, and it does include the number of season ticket holders who did not appear last night.

I think a lot of people figure at this busy time of year that they cannot afford to attend more than one basketball game per week, and they are waiting for the game on Saturday. You also have to imagine that paying $18-27 per ticket for more than one night of basketball in a week is a little steep for people who don't want to spend that much.

I think their attendance figure last night is about what I would expect under the circumstances. Let's hope that a good percentage of the expected 6,000 ticket difference (number of tickets sold for Saturday as of yesterday afternoon minus the approximately 5,000 who "attended" last night) will be Dane fans.

I believe that they can only report actual bodies this year, that could account for the lower than expected number. It seemed larger to me. On the quickness of Siena, I thought they were pretty athletic. It's difficult for me to say whether they're quicker or slower than UA, but we'll see on Saturday.

Granted, I myself haven't seen Siena play so Tony may very well be right, but to come out and mention Siena in the same sentence as UCONN is a joke. He also didn't clarify if he's seen UA play or simply pulling crap out of his ass, as he does quite often. If he's seen both teams play and thats his perception then fine, but many times LCC fans make egregious claims and have nothing to back it up with.

On a side note, our attendance is almost neck and neck this season so far. I know they've had only one game at home. But when our barn has 4000+ people it's awesome, when the cave has 4800 it's an empty cave.

I believe that they can only report actual bodies this year, that could account for the lower than expected number.  It seemed larger to me. . . .

18003[/snapback]

I'm not sure about that assertion. I remember a couple years ago when Lanier was still coach that Siena fans were complaining about the lack of fans in the arena. The reported attendance numbers were much higher than the fans there on the night of the event claimed were in seats.

Likewise, we had a sellout crowd against Bucknell this year, but there were a few empty seats.

Granted, I myself haven't seen Siena play so Tony may very well be right, but to come out and mention Siena in the same sentence as UCONN is a joke.  He also didn't clarify if he's seen UA play or simply pulling crap out of his ass, as he does quite often.  If he's seen both teams play and thats his perception then fine, but many times LCC fans make egregious claims and have nothing to back it up with.

On a side note, our attendance is almost neck and neck this season so far.  I know they've had only one game at home.  But when our barn has 4000+ people it's awesome, when the cave has 4800 it's an empty cave.

18005[/snapback]

Bosiydid. C’mon will ya, lets get back to reality here As for the Uconn reference, you are deliberately misquoting me, I purposely gave the disclaimer I am not comparing Siena to Uconn. Just making the observation that Albany struggled with Uconn athleticism - Yes I did watch the game and saw Albany in person twice last year and On TV a few times. I was just giving my opinion, and you guys are free to disagree with me, but please lets cool it on the personal attacks Bosiydid ( you get way too carried away this is mid major basketball)

Back to the athleticism issue, we shall see for ourselves in the next few days. Not that Haddix is athletic, but Franklin and Ubiles are extremely athletic, Kenny is athletic ( although not in Ubiles and Franklin’s class) Albany is bigger and definitely has better shooters. Wilson is gonna be a problem for Siena, they have to contain him, no way you stop him, you just try and contain him. And Siena can’t let Albany shooters get good looks at the hoop ( like Siena did in the first half against Hofstra ) one trend the disturbs me is Siena’s tendency to start the game slow. You can get away with that against weak opponents, but against a good team like Ualb it could be fatal. Should be a great game and I’m really looking forward to it

WOW,

What can I say, good job by LCC.  We let them of the hook a number of times, but they hung tough and came back.  Nothing else to say! Very upset that we let this one get away.

18126[/snapback]

I’ll ignore the LCC reference, or should I start calling Ualb- Albany Junior College or AJC

Archived