UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game Thread: Harvard

Will UA win or lose against Harvard?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After a good win against Brown we get another Ivy league team, this time on the road in Harvard. We come into this game with a record of 3-4 (230RPI) while Harvard is 5-3 (173RPI) winning this road game would be big as we have somewhat struggled on the road this season (primarily the Sacred Heart game).

They have a solid inside out game with the big guy (7'0") Cusworth manning the middle. He is a formidable opponent for our very young front line as he averages 17ppg, 8.4rpg and 2.1bpg. Hopefully a double here and there will force him into some turnovers as he averages 3 per game. They also have two very solid guards in Goffredo and Housman who average 17 and 12 points respectively. All three of these guys play allot of minutes (35 a game) so they are the three pilers of this team. Getting even one of them in foul trouble I suspect would do wonders, especially the big guy. Their bench is very young with a number of first year player, five freshmen and five sophomores. Most of them are strictly complimentary players.

Keys,

- Keep Lillis and Siggers on the court and not in foul trouble.

- Guard the 3 point line (39%) only spot double on Cusworth as he will pass it out for an open 3, we've all seen our team slow to rotate to the open shooter.

- Keep them off the glass and not allow them to get out in transition. As opposed to the Brown games these guys are fairly athletic and like to run. They avarage 75ppg as a team.

Blue Ribbon says......

BACKCOURT: A-

BENCH/DEPTH: C

FRONTCOURT: C

INTANGIBLES: B-

Harvard's classroom exams are difficult enough without having a real Chinese finger puzzle on the Lavietes Pavilion floor this year.

Goffredo and Housman are set in the backcourt and, provided he stays healthy, Cusworth anchors the pivot. But the rest of the lineup -- nay, the rest of the rotation -- is a Columbo mystery, and grows only more cryptic after Cusworth leaves.

The Crimson bench played such a limited role last year -- the five starters all averaged better than 31 minutes -- that it's impossible to decipher an up-and-comer in that unit. That could equate to a freshman like Magnarelli or Balcetis leaping into the starting group right away.

Among the raging symptoms for last season's collapse -- three-point shooting, perimeter defense -- the worst was a devaluing of the basketball. Goffredo and Housman can score, but their first priority to open this season is to cut down on the turnovers.

"Our assist-to-turnover ratio was at the bottom of our league," Sullivan said. "We had no player with a plus assists-to-turnover ratio. We have to take better care of the ball."

If the Crimson doesn't accomplish that first and foremost, the longest-tenured head coach in the Ivy League might morph into the next Boston Strangler.

I expect a tough game at Harvard. They have won four in a row and post decent wins over Maine, New Hampshire and Colgate. The Danes better not take this one lightly like Sacred Heart. Who cares if 30 people are in the gym??? I am not buying into that excuse anymore.

Harvard can score as well, totaling 83 or more points in three of their last four contests. Defense, containing their two 17ppg scorers, will be the key to winning this game.

I expect a tough game at Harvard. They have won four in a row and post decent wins over Maine, New Hampshire and Colgate. The Danes better not take this one lightly like Sacred Heart. Who cares if 30 people are in the gym??? I am not buying into that excuse anymore.

Harvard can score as well, totaling 83 or more points in three of their last four contests. Defense, containing their two 17ppg scorers, will be the key to winning this game.

18426[/snapback]

Totally agree Observer, this one is not an easy game, no road games are easy. But I hope they show up and give us some hope that they can play on the road.

UAlbany did quite poorly last year in the game against Harvard. We lost at home by two points, I believe, and we had very little energy in the game, which we should have won somewhat easily as Cusworth, I believe, did not play in that game. He had been recuperating from an injury.

I'm sure our coach will be reminding his team about last season.

I personally don't believe we will get the "W" tomorrow, but if we do I will be ecstatic. It will signify a significant turning point for this team.

I think we have a decent chance to get to .500 against Harvard, they have played all AE teams this year in tight games BUMA (L 74-78), UM (W 75-71), UNH (W 83-81). The key will be to try to contain Cusworth with double teams and getting him into foul trouble.

The Danes must limit the outside shooting and Lillis and Siggers have to stay out of foul trouble, if we can accomplish these goals we have a good chance to win tomorrow.

We lost 61-48.

18437[/snapback]

UAFAN,

Thanks for the information. I was too lazy to look it up. You are very correct. I should not even have tried to post that information. Once again, thanks.

Last year's score makes this year's chances even worse, in my estimation. I hope I am wrong -- again!

Can someone give me information about buying video? Is it just for this game? Thanks.

Tough game tonight. I'm beginning to worry that we're a team that has a difficult time playing up to its potential. I've only seen two games and one was UConn which was unwinnable - but it seems to me that Gifford is looking at a great 4 year career. Our offense needs to create opportunities for him inside. He will be better than Z because he has a much softer touch and much better court presense. Jamar's unquestionable talent is somewhat negated when the rest of the team stops to watch what he is going to do - and that happens too often.

Any info on video - appreciated.

Good luck to the Danes tonight

Archived