UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

tournament schedule

The America East Conference on Sunday released the schedule for the league tournament at Boston University’s Agganis Arena from March 2-4.

If UAlbany is the top seed, the Great Danes will play their quarterfinal game on Saturday, March 3 at noon against the winner of the No.8-No. 9 matchup the previous night. If UAlbany advances, its semifinal game will be on Sunday, March 4 at noon.

If UAlbany is the second seed, it will play a quarterfinal game on March 3 at 6 p.m., with the semifinal game on March 4 at 2:30 p.m.

This is a change for the America East, which used to wait until the matchups were set before announcing the bracket in order to accomodate the host school, which had the choice of playing in either the afternoon session or evening session.

Of course, the championship game is played at the site of the highest remaining seed on Saturday, March 10 at noon.

Although I think we had already clinched the number 2 seed prior to this President's Day Weekend (due to potential tie breaking scenarios with Boston University), we mathematically clinched the #2 seed when UMBC defeated Boston University this weekend. B.U. has 6 losses. UAlbany has 3 losses. With 2 games remaining on our schedule, the worst we can finish is 11-5; and, thus, we clinch the #2 seed. With one more win by Boston University, or with 1 loss by each of the teams that are 6-8, Boston University clinches the #3 seed.

We are the #2 seed and will play at 6:00Pm Saturday March 3rd

tell me who we will play? I am sure you must know that too

I know we are the #2 seed. The point is--we still do not know who we are going to play. We can speculate, but the #7 seed is not yet definite, and probably won't be until league play has been completed.

If we play the rest of the way like we did in Idaho, we look good to go back to the dance. We lost to shooting we're not likely to see again.

If we should get to the final game and lose, with 20+ wins how does it look for an NIT bid?

Well, the regular season conference champ gets a guaranteed invite to the NIT. That's Vermont, but if they were to win the tournament also, they'd be going to the NCAA. While it may be common practice for the runner up to go to the NIT in a NCAA-bound team's place, I'm not sure it's technically automatic.

That said, IF UA wins out the regular season that puts us at 20-9, 13-3 in conference. For comparison's sake, not counting #1 seeds who lost in the conference tournament, it seems like the most recent AE at-large NIT entrants were #2 Northeastern and #3 Boston University in 2004-05 (2005 tourney). Northeastern went 15-3 in conference and 21-10 overall (regular season), losing in the conference championship game. BU went 20-9, 14-4 (regular season) and lost in the opening round to #6 seed Maine.

So, we are 104th in RPI (borderline), and looking at our schedule as a whole -

Good wins - Decent RPI and winning record

Bucknell (18-8) - 98th RPI

Bad losses - Poor RPI and record

@ Sacred Heart (13-13) - 192nd RPI

@ Binghamton (11-15) - 268th RPI; BUT, it is a rivalry, a conference game, and on the road.

Our other losses - @UConn, @Siena, VCU, @Utah Valley St., @UVM, UVM, @Boise St. - are all reasonable losses. They would have been good wins if we'd had them, but they weren't bad losses. It would have been very nice to pull out either the Siena or Boise St. games, but I don't think the losses hurt so much for NIT purposes (the Siena stings for other reasons).

I also think that the extremely strong showing the team put together @ Boise State helps. They're a GREAT team at home, in a relatively good conference, and UA went in - fighting adverse travel conditions - and played them tough right down to the wire.

If we make the final game and lose - to UVM - we'll sit at 22-9, 15-3 in conference. A second place finish in both the regular season and tournament, the top seed not taking the automatic NIT bid, and comparable record to Northeastern and BU against solid competition, and a program beginning to get a little bit of a reputation for being a good, tough opponent (UConn last yr., Boise this yr.) - it's tough to predict without seeing who else wins all the conference tournaments (thereby seeing how many automatic bids are used up) but I think UA can make a very strong case.

B)-->

QUOTE(Zalman B @ Feb 20 2007, 04:17 AM) 21057[/snapback]
If we play the rest of the way like we did in Idaho, we look good to go back to the dance. We lost to shooting we're not likely to see again.

If we should get to the final game and lose, with 20+ wins how does it look for an NIT bid?

Well, the regular season conference champ gets a guaranteed invite to the NIT. That's Vermont, but if they were to win the tournament also, they'd be going to the NCAA. While it may be common practice for the runner up to go to the NIT in a NCAA-bound team's place, I'm not sure it's technically automatic.

That said, IF UA wins out the regular season that puts us at 20-9, 13-3 in conference. For comparison's sake, not counting #1 seeds who lost in the conference tournament, it seems like the most recent AE at-large NIT entrants were #2 Northeastern and #3 Boston University in 2004-05 (2005 tourney). Northeastern went 15-3 in conference and 21-10 overall (regular season), losing in the conference championship game. BU went 20-9, 14-4 (regular season) and lost in the opening round to #6 seed Maine.

So, we are 104th in RPI (borderline), and looking at our schedule as a whole -

Good wins - Decent RPI and winning record

Bucknell (18-8) - 98th RPI

Delaware (14-11) - 126th RPI

Bad losses - Poor RPI and record

@ Sacred Heart (13-13) - 192nd RPI

@ Binghamton (11-15) - 268th RPI; BUT, it is a rivalry, a conference game, and on the road.

Our other losses - @UConn, @Siena, VCU, @Utah Valley St., @UVM, UVM, @Boise St. - are all reasonable losses. They would have been good wins if we'd had them, but they weren't bad losses. It would have been very nice to pull out either the Siena or Boise St. games, but I don't think the losses hurt so much for NIT purposes (the Siena stings for other reasons).

I also think that the extremely strong showing the team put together @ Boise State helps. They're a GREAT team at home, in a relatively good conference, and UA went in - fighting adverse travel conditions - and played them tough right down to the wire.

If we make the final game and lose - to UVM - we'll sit at 22-9, 15-3 in conference. A second place finish in both the regular season and tournament, the top seed not taking the automatic NIT bid, and comparable record to Northeastern and BU against solid competition, and a program beginning to get a little bit of a reputation for being a good, tough opponent (UConn last yr., Boise this yr.) - it's tough to predict without seeing who else wins all the conference tournaments (thereby seeing how many automatic bids are used up) but I think UA can make a very strong case.

Delaware is 5-23 with an RPI rank of 285...You must have been looking at Delaware St. We did play them a couple times many years ago.

Anyway----We need to be thinking NCAA----if thinngs don't work out---we would definitely take an NIT bid if that works out for us.

Good call on the Delaware/Delaware St., my bad. As far as going back to 32 teams, is that starting this season? According to the NIT website's history section, there were still 40 invitees in 2006.

Nevermind, just found the press release saying it will be cut back down to 32 teams for this year. Let's just go to the NCAA anyways, let UVM represent the AE with the automatic bid.

This thing is still there for us! UVM is not invincible! We need to take care of business the next two games and in Boston! If need be, let's get on the bus and head north to Burlington!

With the 32-team field Albany has no shot at the NIT. Any team around 80 in the RPI will be on the outside looking in for the NIT. Dropping the field by 8 teams will squeeze out many mid majors and allow more 16-14 BCS teams in

Archived