UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Curious?

Does anyone know why Jimmie Covington starts? I never heard him being regarded as one of our top players in the future, yet I heard alot of good things about Gifford, Yocum, and Connelly. Why does Covington start? Does he do that much anyway? I mean, I guess he's a big body, but he's only 6'7" and only averages like 3 boards a game? What does he do to earn himself a starting spot?

I'm not bashing him, because I've seen the dude play about 3 times now...but he doesn't do anything to make me say "wow, he's by far our best center..."

Gifford and Yocum are not ready. Giff got a couple of starts early on in the season but was much to raw. Our 5 spot is the weakest and Covington is our strongest player there, at lease he isn't completely lost. So for now he starts, I think Giff will get more starts next season.

Gifford and Yocum are not ready. Giff got a couple of starts early on in the season but was much to raw. Our 5 spot is the weakest and Covington is our strongest player there, at lease he isn't completely lost. So for now he starts, I think Giff will get more starts next season.

Covington plays good defense. Maybe that's why some fans aren't so enamored of him. You have to play good D to play for Brown.

Covington plays good defense. Maybe that's why some fans aren't so enamored of him. You have to play good D to play for Brown.

I guess, but he does seem to FOUL alot. It'll be interesting to see how he fairs against Holm who has about 4 inches and 30 pounds on him.

for this upcoming Vermont game it would certainly be nice to have Giff's size with Covington's build. At a time we did have that, he was called...Zoellner. I'm sure by next year both Giff and Yocum will have some more build with some working out in the off-season and, because of this, will likely get more PT.

Giff lost his starting job early in the season and Covington was actually doing pretty well early on. As the season has been wearing on however, Covington has seen less time and Brown has been putting out different looks. Connelly stepped up to earn himself some more time this way. Yocum has had barely any play time and Gifford just isn't ready (though he looked great in the quarterfinals). While i believe Gifford is our future, i still believe Covington is the best center we can put out there for now.

Covington is better at playing the proper defensive position at this point compared to Giff, and I assume (since I haven't seen much of him) Yocum. While Giff is more of a threat to block shots coming off the ball, he isn't strong enough (yet) to do it when someone with a heavier build takes it right at him.

As I said, Convington plays the position game very well, and allows for strong double-teams, usually from Connolly or B. Wilson, to come once a bigger guy begins to make a move. I expect that's how Holm will be played, although I think an interesting lineup would be B. Wilson and Connolly at the 4-5, doubling on D. On the other end, that'd be a matchup problem for Holm, much in the same way Fry from UMBC gave him trouble by stepping out a bit.

I also think Covington is a little underrated on the offensive end. He's not a big-time scorer by any means, but he can hit an open shot, make the occasional post move, and hit his FT. Just as important, if not more so, he is more comfortable on the perimeter than Giff is as a ball handler. It would have been nice to see him look towards the hoop a little when Peterkin was overplaying him so much on the passing lane, but generally Covington seems OK waiting for a guard to get some separation before passing. Gifford, at times, looks like a travel waiting to happen that far from the hoop. Having the big man up top who swings the pass from one wing to the other is a big part of our set offense, so Covington is a benefit there too.

albanyhoops31 - Jimmy is a solid physical player , he knows his role defensively and offensively. Gifford as been stated on this board (in the past) has had his body restructured (big weight loss) and is learning and for what ever it's worth Brown it seems doesn't think Yocum is ready. They are our three 5 spot potential starters.

Brown uses Connelly as Brent's replacement at the 4 and tries to keep either Brian or Brent on the floor at all times once we get through the 1st half their is a good chance you'll see Brent and Brian on the court at the same time manning the 4 & 5.

As for Covington/Holm match up it is very tough matchup for Jimmy, size wise. I would expect to see Jimmy and Brett split the minutes Saturday barring any crazy foul trouble.

Next season should be very interesting if Jimmy continues to improve and Brett improves the way most of the teams players have under the current coaching staff from Freshman to Sophmore seasons ie. Brian and Jimmy.

If Yocum puts on some muscle/weight I think he could enter the mix also.

B)-->

QUOTE(Zalman B @ Mar 6 2007, 01:53 AM) 21694[/snapback]
although I think an interesting lineup would be B. Wilson and Connolly at the 4-5, doubling on D. On the other end, that'd be a matchup problem for Holm, much in the same way Fry from UMBC gave him trouble by stepping out a bit.

That lineup seems similar to what UNH has done against Vermont this year that gave them some trouble. I watched some of the replay of the BU-Albany game last night and the announcers were saying the Albany starters with Connelly in for Covington was Albany's best offensive lineup. If I remember correctly the reason we haven't been able to do that against Vermont this year is that Brent has been in foul trouble in both games.

Archived