UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Construction on Campus: Entrance

UA_MA_2000

ALBANY -- The University at Albany soon will offer students and visitors a grassy green welcome, complete with a pair of stately Great Danes and a fountain, that will replace the original cobblestone entry plaza of the nearly-40-year-old uptown campus.

``We're about to reinvent the front door, figuratively speaking, of the university,'' said university Provost Susan Herbst. ``The plaza is a starting point. It's a first impression. We want our front door to reflect our university well.''

The $4 million project is the first to stem from a $25 million appropriation included in the 2006-07 state budget for improvements around the campus. Herbst said construction on the new plaza will begin in June, with completion expected in the fall.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...sdate=4/27/2007

ALBANY -- The University at Albany soon will offer students and visitors a grassy green welcome, complete with a pair of stately Great Danes and a fountain, that will replace the original cobblestone entry plaza of the nearly-40-year-old uptown campus.

``We're about to reinvent the front door, figuratively speaking, of the university,'' said university Provost Susan Herbst. ``The plaza is a starting point. It's a first impression. We want our front door to reflect our university well.''

The $4 million project is the first to stem from a $25 million appropriation included in the 2006-07 state budget for improvements around the campus. Herbst said construction on the new plaza will begin in June, with completion expected in the fall.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...sdate=4/27/2007

I just saw this on the TU site and was thinking....WOW thats a heck of an entrance!

i would love to see the pics of that. that area has needed improving for a while. It should fit well with the new University Hall. I am guessing no more cars can drive around that area anymore.

IIRC this is a much reduced version of what was originally proposed, which was a 'welcome' building with a tunnel directly to the lecture center. That would have cost almost as much as what's proposed for the football stadium.

In the not-yet-online Spring 2007 issue of UAlbany Magazine, a story on Volunteers include Dan Nolan '74 who's on the steering committee for fundraising and planning of Project 2010. Second phase, the completion of environmental impact studies and site analysis for the football stadium, now estimated at $50 million, will begin shortly. Stadium capacity of 10,000 with space for student academic services, training and meeting rooms, staff and coach offices, and luxury boxes.

I hope 10,000 is just the first step.

Also, regarding a discussion on another board about claims by Binghamton, Stony Brook, and Buffalo as to which is the flagship of the University system, a story on architect Edward Durell Stone states that in Gov. Rockefeller's grand vision for the SUNY system built on existing normal schools, the most dramatic expansion was for Albany "intended to be a flagship center in the state capital". So we've got our own claim as a flagship, though I don't think it will ever come down to just one.

In the not-yet-online Spring 2007 issue of UAlbany Magazine, a story on Volunteers include Dan Nolan '74 who's on the steering committee for fundraising and planning of Project 2010. Second phase, the completion of environmental impact studies and site analysis for the football stadium, now estimated at $50 million, will begin shortly. Stadium capacity of 10,000 with space for student academic services, training and meeting rooms, staff and coach offices, and luxury boxes.

I hope 10,000 is just the first step.

Also, regarding a discussion on another board about claims by Binghamton, Stony Brook, and Buffalo as to which is the flagship of the University system, a story on architect Edward Durell Stone states that in Gov. Rockefeller's grand vision for the SUNY system built on existing normal schools, the most dramatic expansion was for Albany "intended to be a flagship center in the state capital". So we've got our own claim as a flagship, though I don't think it will ever come down to just one.

I thought it has already begun? It's been starting for a year now.

With regard to the concept of a flagship school for New York discussed above, I offer only the following: I do not know how to define a flagship school, yet we all seem to be able to agree on many states' flaghship school(s). For example, University of Florida (SEC), Texas (Big 12), and Univ. Michigan, Univ. Wisconsin, and Ohio State for those states' flagship schools.

I think Albany and Buffalo have the only viable claims to a flagship school in New York. They each offer something that Stonybrook and Bingo do not. Perhaps Albany has the strongest claim to the title in New York for the reasons briefly eluded to above, but one thing that always stands out in my mind regarding a flagship school is the presence of professional schools --- i.e., a law school and medical school. Albany, Bingo, and SB do not have that, while Buffalo has at least the SUNY law school. Of course, to me, this is just one of many many variables that may go to defining what a flagship school is. Others may be things such as funding, NCAA classification (Division I, II, or III), and centralization of research and graduate programs. Given that all four of our Unviersity Centers feature strong graduate programs in various fields, and all are Division I (except Buffalo has what I still call Division I-A football, while the remaining 3 have what I still call Division I-AA football), for me the nod goes to Buffalo for the reason stated above. I could easily be swayed though if made aware of more factors to consider. The fact that I have the nod to Buffalo as our flagship school based on its football program's NCAA classification simply demonstrates how much my analysis on this issue is akin to an intellectual infant.

I just mentioned a few of many variables here, and I hope others can come up with a better analysis than mine set forth above. And, again, I really have no idea how to actually define a "flagship" school. It seems to me to be a concept that is created more in the eyes of the consumer and sports fan.

Tangent Thought:

And the fact that our two SUNY medical schools (downstate and upstate medical schools) are not attached, geographically, to any of the 4 SUNY Centers (UA, Buffalo, Bingo, and SB) is just bizzare to me. Although it would probably never happen, I would love to see Albany Law School and Albany Medical School and Albany College of Pharmacy drop their token and illusory association with Union University and affiliate themselves, at least in name if nothing else, with UAlbany. If they did, watch UAlbany's ranking improve! It would help all four schools (ALS, AMS, ACP, and UAlbany). Not that it's of any interest to most people here, but the real Union University is in Tennessee, not Albany or Schenectady. My understanding is that Union University is an amorphous collection of graduate and professional schools in this area, void of any centralized campus or benefits unique to "Union University," yet I have to stare up at my diploma every night with the big letters on it: "UNION UNIVERSITY." Until someone can explain to me in better detail what the heck Union University is and why it's on my diplma, it's dumb in my eyes. Nonetheless, my point that UAlbany does not have, or is affiliated with, a law school or medical school detracts somewhat, at least in my mind, from its ability to move towards the status of being a strong flagship school for the state of New York as compared to the flagship schools of other states. But what do I know ... certainly not how to define a flagship school.

The flagship campuses are easy to identify. Examples

· Baton Rouge (LSU)

· Athens (Georgia)

· Gainesville (Florida)

· Madison (Wisconsin)

· Knoxville (Tennesee)

· Storrs (UCONN)

· Austin (Texas)

· Amherst (UMASS)

The other state campuses will always struggle to get out of the shadows of the flagship. The people of those states will never mistake Kennesaw, Stamford, Kent or Jacksonville as flagships campuses (no disrespect). Flagships are the largest and most prestigious campus within that state. Kids fight to get into these schools. I would guess at least 90% are under the old D1A NCAA category. The only to exception to the D1A NCAA category are a few sparsely populated states out west and a couple of liberal holdouts in the northeast (e.g. Montana, Delaware and New Hampshire). Even tiny Maryland is D1A.

Based on the above criteria, Buffalo is clearly in the drivers seat at gaining this flagship designation. I think they just need to win a few games in a better conference and they’re ready to collect the prize. Since there is no official government designation as ‘flagship’, it really comes down to the public’s perception. What do the people think? It’s true there isn’t a New York flagship yet but I think that that’s going to change very soon. It’s not too late for Albany. I don’t think Buffalo has won that ‘flagship’ prize just yet. Albany has a real claim since we are a university center and in the state capital. Many flagships are also state capitals so that helps. I think the stronger academic numbers for Buffalo, D1A football, larger student body and the law school definitely side with Buffalo's case for being the flagship. Game over if Buffalo ever gets the 'ok' to rename the campus to 'UNY'. I don’t think it’s a fight we want to lose. Once a campus is seen as the “flagship”, the money, press and prestige come along. Why does a prospective student want to apply to the second tier school? We don’t want to be Valdosta, Lowell or Kent do we (no disrespect)?

My Breakdown of the contenders:

Binghamton: The best academics of the four (not great at #86 or so) but too small, far flung geography and no D1A Football.

StonyBrook: Not the biggest, not the best academics, no D1A football , just a 'good' school in a state full of good schools.

Albany: Good geography (capital), decent size. Tier 3 academics and lack of D1A Football are huge holes in our case.

Buffalo: Good Geography (2nd largest city), Largest student body, Law school, D1A… just need to start winning (stop getting creamed by SEC schools.

From Albanylaw.edu:

The School's early history is marked with a range of noteworthy milestones and accomplishments. In 1873, we affiliated with Albany Medical College and Union College to form Union University. Later on Albany College of Pharmacy joined. Each institution has its own governing board and is responsible for its own programs.

Union University is a fictional character created and maintained to meet accreditation standards from the ABA and AMA which require University affiliation of some sort. Albany Law will never be affiliated with a public university for the sole reason that it would lose the distinction of being the oldest independent law school in the nation. Just last year the new branding campaign was unveiled at the law school with a distinct effort to remove any mention of Union University from any letterhead, logos, etc... I'm not even sure if my diploma (which I will gladly be accepting in 2 weeks) will have Union University on there. Check out the newest website if you haven't in a while. You'll be hard pressed to find any reference to Union University with the exception of the excerpt I grabbed from the history section.

As for affiliation with UA, Albany Law does have the important affiliation...Joint degree programs

J.D./M.S.W.—University at Albany

J.D./M.P.A.—University at Albany

J.D./M.R.P.—University at Albany

From Albanylaw.edu:
The School's early history is marked with a range of noteworthy milestones and accomplishments. In 1873, we affiliated with Albany Medical College and Union College to form Union University. Later on Albany College of Pharmacy joined. Each institution has its own governing board and is responsible for its own programs.

Union University is a fictional character created and maintained to meet accreditation standards from the ABA and AMA which require University affiliation of some sort. Albany Law will never be affiliated with a public university for the sole reason that it would lose the distinction of being the oldest independent law school in the nation. Just last year the new branding campaign was unveiled at the law school with a distinct effort to remove any mention of Union University from any letterhead, logos, etc... I'm not even sure if my diploma (which I will gladly be accepting in 2 weeks) will have Union University on there. Check out the newest website if you haven't in a while. You'll be hard pressed to find any reference to Union University with the exception of the excerpt I grabbed from the history section.

As for affiliation with UA, Albany Law does have the important affiliation...Joint degree programs

J.D./M.S.W.—University at Albany

J.D./M.P.A.—University at Albany

J.D./M.R.P.—University at Albany

Danefan, thanks for the post and great research. I'll make a point of checking out the ALS website soon; not sure if I've been on it in a couple of years. I'm not sure whether those joint degree programs with UAlbany existed when I was there (I just don't remember), but I'm glad to see them there now. I'm also glad that the references to Union University have been dropped. I actually called Union College when I was a student at Albany Law School and asked whether I received any of the benefits that Union College students received (libraries, gym & athletic facility use, etc.), but the person on the phone laughed at me and thought I was crazy. Even my ID card said Union University on the top in big letters!

I absolutely agree with you that ALS will never drop the claim to being the country's oldest independent law school (and, as a side note, I learned during my second year that ALS was also the school that created the first student-run journal, a/k/a law review. I have a reprint of an issue from 1886 or so. Mr. E., from the library there, also published a great article on the history of law reviews and that sort of thing.). I don't see what that the claim of being the nation's oldest independent law school does for us in any measurable way, and I continue to believe an affiliation with a major public institution like UAlbany would help the law school (and UAlbany) with increased applications from other parts of the country and national awareness generally, but hey, it's not my call (and I'm also the nut who wants to see the America East drop Hartford and go after UMASS and Rhode Island).

I still have those huge letters "Union University" on my diploma, but I heard that in 2004, the administration changed the diplomas. It looks like they have changed them again. I might ask to get a new diploma at some point (I think it was like $50 or so). I guess they have some paper for the new diplomas now after cutting down all those trees out front this year (I heard that nearly started a war on campus) ... haha.

. . . and Danefan, good luck with your May exams and the Bar Exam this summer!

I agree about the affiliation. I think a real affiliation would be great too. And the new website is www.albanylaw.edu. "ALS" is out the window along with Union University. The marketing company thought it reminded people too much of Lou Gehrig's disease instead of a place of higher learning, which is definitely true.

Archived