UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

CHN top 144

quackman,

If someone had a gun to my head right now I'd say

I'd say the person with the gun would probably be Saintsfan from the Siena board. :D

Great to see this discussed (for now) without the usual partisan bickering. Both teams have some or maybe a lot of question marks going in. I'm still trying to figure out how Brian Wilson is.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quackman

Nice to see a rational post from a Siena fan. We don't see too many of those but I guess that is to be expected when the moderator of the Siena board thinks that "Duell led Coppenrath to the NCAA's" is a rational post while pointing out Duell/Coppenrath stats is misleading.

FWIW, I really don't know what to make of the CHN ranking. It is nice to get recognition from any unbiased source, but it is not anything more than a prediction.

Also, I agree with you on Brian Lillis. I made a point on our OOC thread a day or two before UA showed up on the CHN that how well that Lillis, B Wilson , Connolly and Gifford take on bigger roles this season will be a major factor to the teams success this season. I especially want to see Lillis contribute with a little more scoring to keep defenses honest. Obviously most teams in the country have questions due to graduations, etc and how they are answered will determine how teams do compared to expectations.

As a fan it is fun following progress players make from Freshman year to senior year and it would be awesome if CHN is correct and Albany goes to their third straight dance, but we are still always from the start of the season.

I would love to go to Anaheim, Denver, Omaha, Washington DC, Birmingham, Little Rock , Raleigh or Tampa in early March.

Quackman

Nice to see a rational post from a Siena fan. We don't see too many of those but I guess that is to be expected when the moderator of the Siena board thinks that "Duell led Coppenrath to the NCAA's" is a rational post while pointing out Duell/Coppenrath stats is misleading.

FWIW, I really don't know what to make of the CHN ranking. It is nice to get recognition from any unbiased source, but it is not anything more than a prediction.

Also, I agree with you on Brian Lillis. I made a point on our OOC thread a day or two before UA showed up on the CHN that how well that Lillis, B Wilson , Connolly and Gifford take on bigger roles this season will be a major factor to the teams success this season. I especially want to see Lillis contribute with a little more scoring to keep defenses honest. Obviously most teams in the country have questions due to graduations, etc and how they are answered will determine how teams do compared to expectations.

As a fan it is fun following progress players make from Freshman year to senior year and it would be awesome if CHN is correct and Albany goes to their third straight dance, but we are still always from the start of the season.

I would love to go to Anaheim, Denver, Omaha, Washington DC, Birmingham, Little Rock , Raleigh or Tampa in early March.

Hey, don't get me wrong ... I am far from a fan of UAlbany or Will Brown but the constant bashing of each other's programs is too much to take sometimes. (and it certainly goes both ways) I think Wilson is likely going to struggle some without Jamar and Siggers drawing the defenses away from him and I wasn't at all impressed with Gifford.

Lillis has enough game to score 15 points per game this year not unlike how Antoine Jordan stepped up his senior season for the Saints. Connelly looked to be a pretty good role player. My guess is that 1 or 2 of the freshman will end up be key contributors this season and how they play will go a long ways towards how well Albany does in the America East.

Again, these are one Siena fan's biased opinions ... either way, good luck on the season.

Quackman

Hey, don't get me wrong ... I am far from a fan of UAlbany or Will Brown but the constant bashing of each other's programs is too much to take sometimes. (and it certainly goes both ways) I think Wilson is likely going to struggle some without Jamar and Siggers drawing the defenses away from him and I wasn't at all impressed with Gifford.

Lillis has enough game to score 15 points per game this year not unlike how Antoine Jordan stepped up his senior season for the Saints. Connelly looked to be a pretty good role player. My guess is that 1 or 2 of the freshman will end up be key contributors this season and how they play will go a long ways towards how well Albany does in the America East.

Again, these are one Siena fan's biased opinions ... either way, good luck on the season.

I have no problem with you not being a fan of UA and opinions are just that. I am sure you won't be totally right about UA in your opinion nor will I be on my opinion. Time will tell how much B Wilson game is affected by not having Siggers and Jamar Wilson and whether he can "step it up" . Time will tell on Gifford also. I saw 23 games last season and saw potential there if he works hard over the summer and shows a normal level of improvement between a player's freshman year and sophomore year. Most of us here try to be reasonable and not compare our players to NBA players.

As far as the incoming freshman, hopefully a couple do contribute this year. I am not one to comment on that. I always wait until I see them play at least a few games before I make any judgments and I hardly follow recruiting at all.

Quackman

Hey Bob if you wanna take a shot at me, at least get your facts right. I never said Duell was anything but a role player on that that Vermont team. But considering the source not surprising your wrong once again

Tony - with all due respect Bob has the right to interpet your posts anyway he wants and state his opinion right/wrong.

You are not empowered on this site to tell people what to do. I'm sure in Bob's mind he has his facts straight.

I'm sure know that Duell is at Siena and in the MAAC he is already a better player - definitely MAAC caliber.

It's amazing you were the guy who said UA and the AE couldn't attract MAAC caliber players and now it's the MAAC that is taking AE players who were unhappy with their roles and playing time and expecting them to be solid MAAC contributors..

If you want to moderate keep to your subservient Siena site. :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

Tony - with all due respect Bob has the right to interpet your posts anyway he wants and state his opinion right/wrong.

You are not empowered on this site to tell people what to do. I'm sure in Bob's mind he has his facts straight.

I'm sure know that Duell is at Siena and in the MAAC he is already a better player - definitely MAAC caliber.

It's amazing you were the guy who said UA and the AE couldn't attract MAAC caliber players and now it's the MAAC that is taking AE players who were unhappy with their roles and playing time and expecting them to be solid MAAC contributors..

If you want to moderate keep to your subservient Siena site. :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

No problem Patch-I guess its no problem making things up on this board. And taking shots at other posters.... I guess its all in the interpretation..

Good luck to the Danes this year, I’m sure Will Brown will have the Danes ready for conference play, you may have a learning curve early in the season, but you guys should do well for the level of play in the AE . BTW with the AE being so strong the AE must have what 3 or so teams ranked in CHN preseason top 144?

See you boys at the TUC for the Siena/Albany game- Patch what is the head to head record since the series resumed? I know the AE is so powerful - surely the AE’s best program must have a winning record against the lowly MAAC and Siena.

I’m sure you guys can lose once again and somehow spin how Albany is really the better team.. hahahahahaha

Well, the rational and reasonable thing lasted for a couple of posts anyway.

In fairness to ST (which he may not deserve and could have pointed out himself) it was a poster named Mr. Siena who said Duell was a catalyst for Vermont during the Copenwrath/Sorrentine years, not ST.

Tony your opinion is duelly (no pun intended) noted.

Now why don't you crawl back to your board with you sarcastic side of the mouth comments.

The reason the series is lopsided is easy to explain for the first 3-4 years UA was not fielding a DI talent level club and anyone (Siena Fan or UA Fan) knew that.

In the last 3 years with UA having a DI lineup the series is 1-2 in favor of the Saints with the Saint's wins coming in OT and Double OT while UA drubbed Siena by 20+. Remember all the games are played at Siena's home court. Every rating service values home court advantage. So the Saints really have nothing to be proud of.

The true measure of a team is its body of work over a season.

Non bias evaluations like the RPI and the Bracketbuster have no affiliation with Siena or UA yet UA has been rated the last 3 seasons above Siena by the RPI and the Bracketbuster has chosen UA for 2 TV games and not the Saints.

This has nothing to do with UA Fan opinions or Saint Fan opinions - this is done by ooutside non bias groups.

When was the last time Siena won a big game?

By the way when was the last time the Saints won their Conference?

When was the last time Siena went to the "Big Dance" - Oh forget it - I know that answer - Last Century!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you don't understand it but facts are facts!!!!!

UA has had a higher RPI then Siena for the last 3 seasons!!!

The AE has been the higher rated conference 2 of the last 3 years!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the MAAC was better then the AE it would show in the RPI and if Siena were better then UA -Siena would be boosted by playing in a superior league and would have an advantage in the RPI.

Neither happened so your concept of MAAC & Siena superiority is false.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CHN Preseason Top 144 is nice but it's just another opinionated poll based on nothing, they can't even name the starters for most teams they rank.

If their opinion is right it will be the first time Siena rates above UA in RPI in the last 4 seasons and it might be the second time in 4 years the MAAC is rated ahead of the Great Danes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't it you who said "something like" it would take ions for UA ever to be on the same plane as Siena - now you out trying to prove Siena is better then UA - WOW how things have changed.

It's always good to have you drop by and try to BS knowledgeable people - who base their words on facts - not on being a fanatic.

To be honest it is great to have two 20 win DI programs in the Capital Region the next step is to repeat that fete and add to it 2 Capital Region teams to the NCAAs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony explain to me how you can defeat a team twice in a season - then choke away an opportunity to go to the NCAAs by losing to them when it counts.

I am sure you can - He** - the fans on your board can Spin "crap into gold" they did it defending a coach and his wife getting thrown out of the same game - some even stating that it was a good thing.

SPIN YOUR MAGIC but please do it on your board.

Tony your opinion is duelly (no pun intended) noted.

Now why don't you crawl back to your board with you sarcastic side of the mouth comments.

The reason the series is lopsided is easy to explain for the first 3-4 years UA was not fielding a DI talent level club and anyone (Siena Fan or UA Fan) knew that.

In the last 3 years with UA having a DI lineup the series is 1-2 in favor of the Saints with the Saint's wins coming in OT and Double OT while UA drubbed Siena by 20+. Remember all the games are played at Siena's home court. Every rating service values home court advantage. So the Saints really have nothing to be proud of.

The true measure of a team is its body of work over a season.

Non bias evaluations like the RPI and the Bracketbuster have no affiliation with Siena or UA yet UA has been rated the last 3 seasons above Siena by the RPI and the Bracketbuster has chosen UA for 2 TV games and not the Saints.

This has nothing to do with UA Fan opinions or Saint Fan opinions - this is done by ooutside non bias groups.

When was the last time Siena won a big game?

By the way when was the last time the Saints won their Conference?

When was the last time Siena went to the "Big Dance" - Oh forget it - I know that answer - Last Century!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you don't understand it but facts are facts!!!!!

UA has had a higher RPI then Siena for the last 3 seasons!!!

The AE has been the higher rated conference 2 of the last 3 years!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the MAAC was better then the AE it would show in the RPI and if Siena were better then UA -Siena would be boosted by playing in a superior league and would have an advantage in the RPI.

Neither happened so your concept of MAAC & Siena superiority is false.

The CHN Preseason Top 144 is nice but it's just another opinionated poll based on nothing, they can't even name the starters for most teams they rank.

If their opinion is right it will be the first time Siena rates above UA in RPI in the last 4 seasons and it might be the second time in 4 years the MAAC is rated ahead of the Great Danes.

Wasn't it you who said "something like" it would take ions for UA ever to be on the same plane as Siena - now you out trying to prove Siena is better then UA - WOW how things have changed.

It's always good to have you drop by and try to BS knowledgeable people - who base their words on facts - not on being a fanatic.

To be honest it is great to have two 20 win DI programs in the Capital Region the next step is to repeat that fete and add to it 2 Capital Region teams to the NCAAs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony explain to me how you can defeat a team twice in a season - then choke away an opportunity to go to the NCAAs by losing to them when it counts.

I am sure you can - He** - the fans on your board can Spin "crap into gold" they did it defending a coach and his wife getting thrown out of the same game - some even stating that it was a good thing.

SPIN YOUR MAGIC but please do it on your board.

Patch,

It is great to have two 20+ win teams in the CD. Although it is a bit of a knee slapper that Siena acquired 7 of those wins by beating up on 300+ RPI teams. Where is SaintsFan to spin that.

Well, the rational and reasonable thing lasted for a couple of posts anyway.

In fairness to ST (which he may not deserve and could have pointed out himself) it was a poster named Mr. Siena who said Duell was a catalyst for Vermont during the Copenwrath/Sorrentine years, not ST.

Dane Pound

You are correct that St did not make that post and I never said he did. All I said was when Siena Tony attacks a response to that post and says nothing about the original post it implies certain things.

Good Post Patch even if I don't care if the other team in the area ever makes the ncaa's with a winning record this century.

Of coarse Tony will be mum on the part about how you can defeat a team twice in a season - then choke away an opportunity to go to the NCAAs by losing to them when it counts.

Obviously a 16 or 18 game season means more than 1 or 2 head to head games. Siena wasn't even as good as Niagara during the regular season as they still finished behind Niagara in the standings even with the head to head sweep.

Since the UA and Siena are in different leagues , you don't get such an obvious comparison but anyone who is knowledgeable could look at the complete picture and see that the AE was better than the maac last season(they could look up plenty of stats such as those that you provided) and in particular the champion of the AE was significantly better than the champion of the maac as evidenced by a 13 seed vs PIG.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/story/2...ll_preview41034

Siena Saints

Overall Rank: #86

Conference Rank: #1 Metro Atlantic

2006-07: 20-12, 12-6, 3rd (t)

2006-07 postseason: none

The backcourt wins championships in the MAAC and Siena is second to none in that category. Kenny Hasbrouck is a prolific scorer and averaged 16.0 points per game last year. Often overlooked with his lofty scoring output is the 6-3 junior’s stellar defense. Ronald Moore is a shutdown defender himself, but it is his ability to find the other scorers on the perimeter that make him one of the best point guards in the conference. Moore will find Edwin Ubiles on the wing plenty of times during the 2007-2008 campaign. Ubiles, who averaged 11.8 points and 4.0 rebounds, had a solid freshman season and is expected to continue to develop as a sophomore. Tay Fisher saw his minutes decrease with the influx of talent on the perimeter, but the senior is a great experienced option off the bench.

Who’s Out:

The frontcourt losses are big and replacing Michael Haddix and David Ryan will not be easy. Haddix led the team with 16.3 points and 7.5 rebounds during his senior campaign. The 6-6 center may have been undersized, but he made up for it with his heart, hustle and skill. Ryan was not much of a presence in the paint, but did develop into the teams most consistent outside shooter. Center Mousse Diop and guard Mike Beers saw limited playing time during their senior campaigns. Walk-on guard J.G. Braga has opted to transfer after playing in just six games during the 2006-2007 season.

Who’s In:

Josh Duell, a transfer from Vermont, will add some much needed depth to the frontcourt. While Duell is a not a dominating post scorer and will spend a lot of time on the perimeter, he is a big body and will work hard on the glass. The junior averaged 7.4 points and 3.9 rebounds during the 2005-2006 season with Vermont, but his numbers dwindled when he did not have Taylor Coppenrath by his side and taking up all the focus of the opposing defenses. Coach Fran McCaffery does not need any of the incoming freshmen to provide much this year. Ryan Rossiter and Steven-Ryan Priestly will add more depth up front and both have the potential to contribute this year if the returning frontcourt runs into problems. Chris De la Rosa will provide plenty of excitement over the next four years. The 5-10 point guard is a clutch performer, but will likely spend the year learning from the returning players. Clarence Jackson is a great shooter, and Siena could really use that particular skill, but as a freshman Jackson will not see the floor too often.

Who to Watch:

The frontcourt is obviously where the questions remain. At 6-5, Alex Frankin is undersized, but showed plenty of potential at the end of his freshman year. Like Ryan, the player he is expected to replace at power forward, Franklin is not a back to the basket post player. However, unlike Ryan, Franklin is not a long range shooter either. Franklin has developed a solid mid-range shot, but stepping beyond the arc will not happen with Franklin. Cory Magee saw limited action in all 32 games as a freshman and will provide a solid post presence off the bench. If the 6-8 forward can develop as much as Siena fans hope, Magee could find himself in a starting role. James Carr only saw action in six games as a freshman, but at 6-10, he has the size to contribute more, especially after a year hitting the weights.

Final Projection:

The backcourt can be dominating, but there is a problem with the outside shooting. Hasbrouck, Moore and Fisher are all capable shooters, but nobody on the team is a real consistent long range threat. Yet, between the three of them, at least one will emerge as a go to shooter. As long as the new look frontcourt can hold their own on the glass and provide enough of an interior scoring threat to open up the perimeter, Siena will take home the MAAC championship. Otherwise, it is a year too early for the Saints and the big seasn will be in 2008-2009.

Projected Post-season Tournament: NCAA

Projected Starting Five:

Ronald Moore, Sophomore, Guard, 7.4 points per game

Kenny Hasbrouck, Junior, Guard, 13.1 points per game

Edwin Ubiles, Sophomore, Guard, 22.2 points per game

Alex Franklin, Sophomore, Forward, 9.1 points per game

Josh Duell, Junior, Forward, 9.1 points per game

Archived