UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Times Union's Best of 2007

As voted on by the readers of the Times Union:

BEST COLLEGE COACH

1. Will Brown, University at Albany men's basketball.

2. Fran McCaffrey, Siena men's basketball.

3. Scott Marr, University at Albany men's lacrosse.

Why? We're going out on a limb and establishing precedent: Back-to-back NCAA appearances will get a local hoops coach to the top of the list.

Runners-up: The run by Marr's team in the NCAA put the Danes lacrosse program firmly on the local sports fans' radar.

BEST COLLEGE ATHLETE

1. Jamar Wilson, University at Albany basketball.

2. Michael Haddix, Siena basketball.

3. Kenny Hasbrouck, Siena basketball.

Why? Wilson will always be remembered by Danes' fans for putting UAlbany basketball on the national map.

Runners-up: Boston College football offensive guard Josh Beekman of Amsterdam was a fourth-round pick by the Chicago Bears.

Thanks for sharing: For the last time, Craig Forth grew up in East Greenbush and was a star at Syracuse, but he does does not attend any school anymore -- high school, college, cooking, none. He is, however, a schoolteacher.

Not to disparage any of the selections, but if this was a true competition, wouldn't Joe Greene win the award? And wouldn't Frank Resetarits garner some serious attention? That seems to be one of the problems when you have Joe Public voting.

Why does Joe deserve it??? It's not like he won his 4th, 5th, and 6th America East individual titles, his 3rd IC4A title, and his 2nd All-American honor...as a sophomore!

Not to disparage any of the selections, but if this was a true competition, wouldn't Joe Greene win the award? And wouldn't Frank Resetarits garner some serious attention? That seems to be one of the problems when you have Joe Public voting.

Why does Joe deserve it??? It's not like he won his 4th, 5th, and 6th America East individual titles, his 3rd IC4A title, and his 2nd All-American honor...as a sophomore!

Here's to hoping for UAlbany's first national champion next year (assuming there is not some miraculous run b another team/athlete.)

Don't trust Joe Public. Especially those that use the Times-Union as their main info source.

Guys , the poll is what it is. It is not any better than the baseball all-star voting for example. How much better do players on the other AL team have to be to get voted in ahead of a Yankee or Red Sox. While there are other college coaches who accomplished more than Coach McCafferty such as Scott Marr and Kelly Sheffield who have both lead teams to multiple conference championships, most of the public does not know that. The general public here only knows basketball. So at least the public is knowledgeable enough to recognize that Coach Brown is a better coach than McCafferty and Jamar Wilson was the best basketball player in the area.

Edit:

Sorry I forget to add Chris Cannata who has also coached multiple teams to the NCAA's

I think for the 20+ years Siena was the only DI program around people got used to paying attention just to basketball. This year seemed to open some peoples eyes (at least the ones I talk to) that there are alot of quality programs with great athletes at UAlbany worth watching. I'd be surprised if that didn't continue in the future.

Also speaking of rankings. In today's paper there's a local high school section for spring sports. Great to see both the women's and men's lacrosse players of the year are going to be Great Danes next year.

I think for the 20+ years Siena was the only DI program around people got used to paying attention just to basketball. This year seemed to open some peoples eyes (at least the ones I talk to) that there are alot of quality programs with great athletes at UAlbany worth watching. I'd be surprised if that didn't continue in the future.

Also speaking of rankings. In today's paper there's a local high school section for spring sports. Great to see both the women's and men's lacrosse players of the year are going to be Great Danes next year.

There are always a ton of great athletes in this area. Hopefully it will provide an endless pipeline of talent to the university, especially with the continuous improvements that are being made.

Archived