UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Cheers to UB and UAlbany is right! I just got home and saw that Buffalo won, putting them atop the MAC East at 4-1!

I think Central Michigan and Ball State are both very solid and would probably beat Buffalo this year if Buffalo makes it to the MAC Championship game, but I'm still impressed with the Bulls. Way to go Buffalo ... !

Say bye bye to UB's coach. He, will be at the top of many lists.

UB Coach Turner Gill may be headed back to Nebraska.

Cheers to UB and UAlbany is right! I just got home and saw that Buffalo won, putting them atop the MAC East at 4-1!

I think Central Michigan and Ball State are both very solid and would probably beat Buffalo this year if Buffalo makes it to the MAC Championship game, but I'm still impressed with the Bulls. Way to go Buffalo ... !

Say bye bye to UB's coach. He, will be at the top of many lists.

That's what a lot of the Buffalo fans are predicting. :-/

Not so quick! People count New York state universities out way to fast. Whether Albany or Buffalo, New York is making progress. Don't count out the Empire State.

Articles on New York state's only FBS team and their success

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/196211.html

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/10901186.html

Not so quick! People count New York state universities out way to fast. Whether Albany or Buffalo, New York is making progress. Don't count out the Empire State.

Articles on New York state's only FBS team and their success

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/196211.html

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/10901186.html

What is he supposed to say?

Please, if Gill is offered the 1.5mm plus that would go with the Nebraska job-- HE is gone.

Speaking of Buffalo, does anyone know who funded their stadium and how much did it cost compared to what we're asking for?

The state funded it for the World University Olympic Games. Originally, it looked like Texas State (San Marcos)....two sides...nothing spectacular. Not sure of original cost.

I got to see the inside of that thing prior to completion. It was OK!

Speaking of Buffalo, does anyone know who funded their stadium and how much did it cost compared to what we're asking for?

$23 million, financed by the NY State Dormitory Authority, groundbreaking in 1991.

UB facilities

It doesn't say, but I think the original capacity was much smaller than the current 29,000

$23 million, financed by the NY State Dormitory Authority, groundbreaking in 1991.

UB facilities

It doesn't say, but I think the original capacity was much smaller than the current 29,000

Exact capacity: 16, 500. That, plus the then 9000 seat Alumni Arena, was what sold me on UB.

I think Alumni Arena has been GREATLY reduced in size...something in the 6'ish range.

This is what the place looked like back in 1993:

http://www.buffalo.edu/buildings/building?...um-99042085.jpg

http://football.ballparks.com/tickets/imag...uffalobulls.jpg

When I attended UB, I think that they were still Division I-AA [1996-1999] for football, at least when I started school there in 1996. I like those pictures that Dane96 found -- that is indeed what the stadium looked like when I attended school there and also, I think, when I left in winter of 1999. My understanding was that Buffalo expanded the stadium with seating in each end zone (including the scoreboard, I think) to make the jump to Division I-A. Given the amount of time I spent at "3rd Base," "PJ Bottoms," and the "Steer," my memory and information could very well be off.

I think it was Dane96 who I agreed with in that the track around the field just kills it, but a stadium is a stadium, and I suppose the track came with the field for the World Games that were held there.

While I agree with the foregoing post about Coach Gill leaving for Nebraska if offered the money (how could he turn it down, given that it would be from where he played and coached for so long? Perhaps Buffalo could increase his salary, though not on the level with Nebraska), but it was still nice to read the following:

The Fort Worth, Texas, native, who has also been mentioned as a candidate for the potential opening at Nebraska, reiterated on Tuesday that his, “heart and soul are at the University at Buffalo and bringing this program to excellence.

“This is where I am, this is what I’m doing,” he continued. “I’m excited about UB.”

Gill’s first coaching job was at SMU in 1991 where he coached the wide receivers under Tom Rossley. The following season, Gill started his flourishing 13-year run as an assistant at Nebraska. Along with Gill, Alabama offensive coordinator Major Applewhite is also being mentioned as a candidate.

. . . .

In only his second season, Gill has turned UB (4-5, 4-1 Mid-American Conference) from college football’s laughingstock into a league championship contender. With a win Saturday at Miami (Ohio) and a Bowling Green loss against Akron on Friday, UB can clinch a share of the Mid-American Conference’s East Division title and secure a berth in the league’s title game on Dec. 1 in Detroit.

That the Bulls were 2-10 in his first season and at one point 1-5 to start this year has only heightened the popularity of Gill. He said Tuesday he wants to finish what he started.

“I wanted to go somewhere where we can build something special, not somewhere that’s already been established,” Gill said about UB. “My wife, daughters, the coaching staff and their families, [uB Athletics Director] Warde Manuel, [university President] John Simpson have all had a part in changing the thought process of people about UB.”

Archived