UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Lindfors Watch

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jake makes Top 15 (according to Chicago Hoops) in all of Illinois regardless of classification - not bad.

The ChicagoHoops.com All-State Men's Basketball Team Regardless Of High School Classification

Chicago Hoops

March 14, 2008

Email Questions/Comments To brian@chicagohoops.com

Here is the ChicagoHoops.com All-State Men's Basketball Team. The team was selected without regard to high school class classification. The First Team is headed by Michael Dunigan (Chicago Farragut), Kevin Dillard (Homewood-Flossmoor) and Lewis Jackson (Purdue).

First Team

Player Class Height Position School

Lewis Jackson 2008 5-9 Point Guard Decatur Eisenhower

Jet-quick Purdue-bound point guard led Decatur Eisenhower to an undefeated regular season with his sensational play on the basketball court.

Kevin Dillard 2008 6-0 Point Guard Homewood-Flossmoor

Southern Illinois-bound point guard fueled a superb season for Homewood-Flossmoor with a scoring average of 25 points per game.

Iman Shumpert 2008 6-4 Point Guard Oak Park-River Forest

Georgia Tech-bound McDonald's All-American led OPRF with his superb all-around skills on both ends of the floor.

Nick Fruendt 2008 6-5 Small Forward Batavia

Northwestern-bound Four-year starter who scores the basketball at better than 20 points per game.

Mike Dunigan 2008 6-10 Center Chicago Farragut

Oregon-bound McDonald's All-American who dominates the action on both ends of the basketball court.

Second Team

Matt Roth 2008 6-3 Shooting Guard Washington

Indiana-bound shooter with big time range.

Ruben Cotto 2008 6-0 Point Guard Alton

A scoring machine.

Ryan Hare 2008 6-3 Small Forward Chicago Marshall

A fierce competitor on both ends of the floor.

Jeremy Robinson 2008 6-8 Power Forward Decatur Eisenhower

Illinois State-bound post had a terrific senior year.

Stan Simpson 2008 6-9 Center Chicago Simeon

Illinois-bound post came on strong over the second half of the season.

Third Team

Verdell Jones 2008 6-4 Point Guard Champaign Central

Led Champaign Central in both scoring and assists.

A.J. Rompza 2008 5-9 Point Guard Chicago Whitney Young

Is now preparing to run the point for the University of Central Florida.

David Brown 2009 6-3 Guard/Forward Rockton Hononegah

Had a superb junior year in leading Rockton Hononegah to a state-ranking.

John Shurna 2008 6-8 Power Forward Glenbard West

Northwestern-bound post is always a triple-double threat.

Jake Lindfors 2008 6-10 Power Forward Driscoll

Albany-bound post posted huge numbers all year long.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driscoll's Jake Lindfors is this year's Press Publications' player of the year

By Erica Benson .By Staff reports

Addison Press

Thu Mar 13, 2008, 11:55 AM CDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDISON, IL -

A year ago, Jake Lindfors raised eyebrows with his perimeter shooting. This season, the 6-foot-10 senior emerged as an all-around offensive threat who could score from anywhere on the court and take over a game on any occasion.

Leading the Highlanders with a 25.9 points per game average to go along with 11.9 rebounds per contest, Lindfors has been selected as the 2007-08 Press Publications Player of the Year.

“I thought I had a pretty good year,” the senior said. “I put up some pretty good numbers, but more importantly, I think I’ve grown so much as a player. It definitely was an outbreak year. And then being able to play with the guys on the team made it fun and memorable.

“My shot has always been there. But I became more of an inside presence this year. I became more of an all-around player. But I still have a long way to go. This year I was able to shoot, drive or find the open guy. It is about having the will to score when needed to.”

His versatility was nearly impossible to guard at the high school level, especially with defenders giving up inches on most nights.

Always able to rise up over the opposition at the three-point arc, Lindfors did more damage in the paint this winter on a variety of spin moves, fall-aways and hard drives to the tin.

“He had a great career,” said Driscoll head coach Nick Latorre. “He improved every year and blossomed into a Division I caliber player. He is so skilled for his size; you don’t see 6-10 guys do the things he does at his age.

“He took it upon himself to be the guy. He did a really good job keeping the guys together and he was pretty consistent all year. There was not really an up-and-down games. I can count his bad games on one hand.”

Now Lindfors will take his game to Division I Albany, where he is hoping to make an immediate impact. But before he officially starts his college career, the senior realizes there is one area that needs some work.

“Strength,” he said when asked about his biggest need for improvement. “After going and visiting schools, I think my skills are good enough to play there (Albany). But strength is the one thing I need to be successful in college and hopefully after.

“My goal is to go there over the summer and hit the weights. I want to play as much as I can and become a starter at Albany. And hopefully improve to the point where we make an NCAA tournament run or I play after college.”

And if you ask Latorre, Lindfors’ goals for the future aren’t too far out of reach.

“His best basketball is ahead of him,” the coach added. “He is committed to getting in the weight room this spring and summer and I know he is talking about going to Albany in May.

“He loves basketball and he is just going to get better and better. He hasn’t necessarily scratched the surface; he has got so much upside.

“Albany got a steal. By the time he is a junior, he is capable of being an MVC (Missouri Valley Conference) kind of player or even a middle of the pack Big-10.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jake Lindfors

Driscoll

Senior

POSITION Forward

STATS 26.2 points, 13 rebounds per game

ACHIEVEMENTS A 6-10 senior who is very tough to defend, Lindfors posted over 26 points per game for a Highlanders team that tied for the Suburban Catholic Conference title with Aurora Central Catholic. Adding more of an inside game this winter to his adept outside shooting, the Division I-Albany recruit also got it done on the boards, posting 13 per affair.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived