UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Bracket Buster Matchup

Well, the early report is out...and we are matched up, based on RPI, Cal State-Fullerton. Doesn't do much for me. However, based on how high we rise or fall...and other teams as well, we could play:

New Mexico State, Pacific, Toledo, James Madison, William and Mary, UNC Wilimington, Loyola, or Fresno State.

Now, I know Coach won't be happy with this (traveling...I think he would prefer an East Coast game) but there is a VERY INTERESTING GAME BREWING:

UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN IOWA. They just got a new building...and of course, it would be the SECOND home game (remember, Iowa refused to play us when Will wanted to give both Iowans a second home return game) for BRIAN AND BRENT!

I think it is a game we could win...and a perfect send off for an away game for both those warriors. I would think the NCAA would look to make this game happen...

Well, the early report is out...and we are matched up, based on RPI, Cal State-Fullerton. Doesn't do much for me. However, based on how high we rise or fall...and other teams as well, we could play:

New Mexico State, Pacific, Toledo, James Madison, William and Mary, UNC Wilimington, Loyola, or Fresno State.

Now, I know Coach won't be happy with this (traveling...I think he would prefer an East Coast game) but there is a VERY INTERESTING GAME BREWING:

UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN IOWA. They just got a new building...and of course, it would be the SECOND home game (remember, Iowa refused to play us when Will wanted to give both Iowans a second home return game) for BRIAN AND BRENT!

I think it is a game we could win...and a perfect send off for an away game for both those warriors. I would think the NCAA would look to make this game happen...

I just don't see how the NCAA would care to match up Albany and UNI because of the two seniors from Iowa.

I just don't see how the NCAA would care to match up Albany and UNI because of the two seniors from Iowa.

Because that is how the NCAA does things. They are VERY good at this. They do this in the NCAA tourney as well. The look for intriguing matchups. I also believe, incidently, that the NCAA requests the schools send in a list of five teams (I could be wrong on the number) they would like to play.

Though it is far away, I would not be SHOCKED to see Coach Brown go for this Northern Iowa game in his request. We are currently looking at a kid from Iowa as a '09 recruit.

I personally would like to see albany and buffalo

While a cool game...probably one not likely to happen unless Buffalo goes on a tear; They are ranked in the 214 range...we are in the 170 range. They are a home team...we are not.

BTW, a good one is brewing across town: Siena vs. Winthrop. That...could be an interesting matchup...and a win by Siena would help our RPI.

I personally would like to see albany and buffalo

While a cool game...probably one not likely to happen unless Buffalo goes on a tear; They are ranked in the 214 range...we are in the 170 range. They are a home team...we are not.

BTW, a good one is brewing across town: Siena vs. Winthrop. That...could be an interesting matchup...and a win by Siena would help our RPI.

1) The conference standings are more important than RPI to get a better seed in the conference tournament to make a better road to win the conference tournament. I rather make the NCAA's with a lesser RPI than not make the NCAA's with a better RPI.

2 ) There are plenty of other ways that our RPI could be helped without having to root for a win by LCC. Most important is the part you can control which is UA wins. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing any of our OOC opponents other than Siena win games.

1. While I think the NCAA probably looks for interesting matchups, I am not aware of ANY evidence even suggesting that they would match up teams based on factors such as us having two players from the state of Iowa. Said another way, in a matchup of Team A vs. Team B, I am skeptical whether the NCAA would pair up teams based on the fact that Team A has two seniors who grew up in the same state as where Team B is located. That is not to say I dispute that the NCAA does such things; I'm simply stating that, for me, such a conclusion -- at this point and until someone can reveal something to me to the contrary -- is speculation at best.

2. Is the neat potential matchup against Iowa or Northern Iowa? I assume Northern Iowa, right? That would be great to play a team from the Missouri Valley Conference. They are one of the better mid-major conference right now, no? The MVC seems to me to be a conference that the America East should be aspiring to be like.

3. And on Northern Iowa, I was not aware that their school colors are purple and yellow/gold! I always thought it was just us and LSU. Are there any other Division I schools out there with purple and yellow/gold?

Northern would be the team...and Washington is Purple and Gold. In fact, I heard a story this week on why we chose gold over yellow...and it WAS a conscious decision to go LSU over Washington.

James Madison is also Purple and Gold.

Bob...be a little more reasonable...come on now.

Isn't it ESPN that does the matchups and not the NCAA? I think the story line angle (which is a good one) would probably only come into play if it's a televised game which looks slim at least right now. Hopefully we look more attractive for a TV game in the coming couple of weeks.

Northern would be the team...and Washington is Purple and Gold. In fact, I heard a story this week on why we chose gold over yellow...and it WAS a conscious decision to go LSU over Washington.

Also Western Illinois, Prairie View, and Lipscomb, D-II San Francisco State and St. Michael's. East Carolina is Royal Purple and Old Gold.

Isn't it ESPN that does the matchups and not the NCAA? I think the story line angle (which is a good one) would probably only come into play if it's a televised game which looks slim at least right now. Hopefully we look more attractive for a TV game in the coming couple of weeks.

Yup...and I am an idiot...I meant ESPN...not NCAA. And they love those matchups...plus, with us having an "in" with ESPN...you never know. They kinda loved our last trip.

Ahh, that's right...ESPN does it.

Also Western Illinois, Prairie View, and Lipscomb, D-II San Francisco State and St. Michael's. East Carolina is Royal Purple and Old Gold.

UAalum72, I'm impressed!

UAlbany not worried about BracketBusters

January 22, 2008 at 6:08 pm by Mark Singelais, Staff writer

If you’re wondering whether UAlbany will draw a televised game in the ESPNU BracketBusters on the weekend of Feb. 22-23, well, that makes one of you.

At least if you’re asking UAlbany head coach Will Brown, whose team has three America East games left before ESPN announces on Feb. 4 what the TV matchups will be.

“I have no concerns, interest or care in the world about the BracketBusters right now, to be honest with you,” said Brown, focused on Wednesday’s game with Maine. “BracketBusters are good if you get a TV game. If you don’t get a TV game, it’s a waste of time, in my mind. All we’re focused about is league games right now because anything but a league game doesn’t matter to us at all.”

Give Brown this much … he doesn’t mince words.

This is the third straight year the Great Danes are eligible for the made-for-TV event, which showcases mid-major teams who might do some damage when the NCAA Tournament rolls around in March.

UAlbany has been chosen for the airwaves the past two years, losing at Virginia Commonwealth in 2006 and Boise State last year, both games shown on ESPNU.

Right now, UAlbany’s chances of getting on TV seem slim, at best. The Great Danes are 9-9 overall, 4-2 in the America East, with an RPI listed at 187th in Division I. They were at 103 last season when they got picked to play Boise State.

But if the Great Danes can win their next three, they’d be 12-9 (7-2 league) going into the BracketBusters selection show. They were 12-8 (7-2 league) when they were chosen to play VCU two years ago. UAlbany would also have at least a share of first place in the America East, and they enjoy the name recognition that comes with two consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances.

But don’t hold your breath. There are 100 mid-major teams in the BracketBusters pool vying for spots in 14 televised games - six on ESPN2, five on ESPNU, one on ESPN Classic and two via the Web on ESPN 360.

Designated as a road team, the Great Danes will draw a nonleague opponent for BracketBusters weekend even if they don’t get TV time. But it won’t be considered a BracketBusters game. The 36 non-televised games will be announced on Feb. 6.

Archived