UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting

I'm sure that Mark S. and the TU will be all over this.

He's to busy at the track! :blush:

In Mark S's defense he did write at least 1 of the at least 3 articles that needed to be written today. See the volleyball thread with the return of Coach Sheffield this weekend who has taken the Danes to multiple ncaa's. I also think there should be a football article today. I don't know if there was one. I didn't see one posted on this board. Plus the basketball recruiting is a big enough story and it should be covered. I don't know if Mark can do that all himself, but if he can't the TU should be providing other resources/reporters as necessary. UA isn't like the one sport school in the suburbs where one reporter could easily cover everything going on in the athletic department. The TU still fails.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure that Mark S. and the TU will be all over this.

He's to busy at the track! :blush:

In Mark S's defense he did write at least 1 of the at least 3 articles that needed to be written today. See the volleyball thread with the return of Coach Sheffield this weekend who has taken the Danes to multiple ncaa's. I also think there should be a football article today. I don't know if there was one. I didn't see one posted on this board. Plus the basketball recruiting is a big enough story and it should be covered. I don't know if Mark can do that all himself, but if he can't the TU should be providing other resources/reporters as necessary. UA isn't like the one sport school in the suburbs where one reporter could easily cover everything going on in the athletic department. The TU still fails.

Yesterday, Mark also wrote the story this week about the NFL scouts coming to UAlbany to see Nguti.

Of course, the TU should do a hell of alot more, but Mark does help at times.

There also is the verbal commitment that 6'2 Todd Fletcher from Lees Summit (North) MO has made to Air Force. And he joins 6'4 Jordan Finn from Etiwanda (H.S.) CA and 6'7 Zach Bohannon from Marion (Linn-Mar) IA in a recruiting class is now tied at #57, along with Drake, Albany, St. Joseph's, Colorado State, Long Beach State, and Illinois State, on our list of the Top Recruiting Classes To-Date for the Class of 2009. ~ Hoopscoop courtesy of MaxxPrep

Seems like the '09 recruiting class is looking strong if you believe hoopscoop, I know....I know.....ratings don't mean a thing. Just passing the info along!

Interesting link, ice on the AE board found it.

Per hoopscoop....

37. VERMONT (11 Points)..........4 Recruits..........2.8 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(3) Luke Apeld, 6'7, WF, Wolfeboro (Brewster Academy) NH; (3) Ben Crenca, 6'9, C, Worcester (Academy) MA; (3) Brandon Bald, 6'4, 2G, Severna Park (H.S.) MD; (2) Simeon Marsalis, 6'1, PG, Wolfeboro (Brewster Academy) MA.

67. ALBANY (7 Points)..........3 Recruits..........2.3 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(3) Gavin Glanton, 6'7, PF, Forrest City (H.S.) AR; (2) Ralph Watts, 6'6, WF, Peekskill (H.S.) NY; (2) Jon Puk, 6'10, C, Waterloo (West) IA.

114. BOSTON UNIVERSITY (4 Points)..........2 Recruits..........2.0 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Northeast Conference..........(2) B.J. Bailey, 6'3, 2G, Mays Landing (Holy Spirit) NJ; (2) Danny Munoz, 6'1, PG, Ft. Lauderdale (Saint Thomas Aquinas) FL.

153. HARTFORD (2 Points)..........1 Recruit..........2.0 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........America East Conference..........(2) Ross Erickson, 6'5, WF, Bend (Sisters) OR.

153. MARYLAND-BALTIMORE COUNTY (2 Points)..........1 Recruit..........2.0 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit.......... America East Conference.......... (2) Adrian Satchell, 6'4, WF, Windsor (H.S.) CT.

Siena is also ranked 67....

67. SIENA (7 Points)..........3 Recruits..........2.3 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Metro Atlantic Conference..........(3) Oderah Anosike, 6'8, PF, Staten Island (St. Peter's) NY; (2) Jon Breeden, 6'0, PG, Harrisburg (Central Dauphin East) PA; (2) Benzel Yard, 5'11, PG, Philadelphia (Franklin Learning Center) PA.

Interesting how Anosike is only a 3! I was under the impression (from reading Siena's board) he would be higher.

Our class obviously does not take into account the transfer of Will Harris....overall, nice work by the staff!

Interesting how Anosike is only a 3! I was under the impression (from reading Siena's board) he would be higher.

Our class obviously does not take into account the transfer of Will Harris....overall, nice work by the staff!

I don't pay much attention to rankings, but if I did the last place I would consider reliable fro rating a recruit is the Siena board.(unless it is at the time the recruit is leaving Siena!!!!)

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, ESPN Insider has updated the prospect card of Blake Metcalf and has given him a score of 81! Now, you might be asking yourself, what is an 81? Well....."80-89: High Major Prospect

Player has the potential to start or significantly contribute as a freshman for most top national Division I programs." and had this to say...."October, 2008: Blake is a 6'9" power forward/center prospect. He is a low post that is raw but gives good effort."

Again, for what it's worth.

FWIW, ESPN Insider has updated the prospect card of Blake Metcalf and has given him a score of 81! Now, you might be asking yourself, what is an 81? Well....."80-89: High Major Prospect

Player has the potential to start or significantly contribute as a freshman for most top national Division I programs." and had this to say...."October, 2008: Blake is a 6'9" power forward/center prospect. He is a low post that is raw but gives good effort."

Again, for what it's worth.

You have to love a kid that commits at the airport before his flight home and then gets a favorable rating a couple of weeks later.

That is a nice number to see, and the #57 ranking for centers.

It should be fun tracking his progress this season.

I think they may have redone their rating system. I am seeing:

80-82: Mid-major minus prospect

Player could be a three- or four-year contributor with an opportunity to eventually start at a mid-major program.

I think you are right, if you go to his player card and click on the score it gives you something completely different then going to grading scale....well in that case...THEY ARE WRONG! :lol:

• 2 months later...

ESPN has updated the recruitment card of Gavin Glanton....they give him a score of 79 FWIW

January, 2009: Glanton is a long lean forward that is a good athlete he runs the floor and can get to the rim in transition. He is an excellent passer and can find teammates with good court vision for a power forward. Glanton has a nice touch in the lane and at point blank range at the rim. He will need to add weight and strength but he is already a terrific rebound on both ends of the floor. Glanton has tremendous upside and has good leadership skills as well.

• 1 month later...

I have no idea how accurate, valid or realistic the following information is....but ESPN lists us as in the chase for a '09 PG Kyle Randall.

He currently holds offers from Stanford (already visited), Bucknell, Cleveland St., George Mason, Harvard, Kent State, LaSelle, Wyoming....

Also, according to Rivals, we have an offer out to Anali Okoloji....

Both are very very highly rated....just passing along what I've found/someone pointed out recently to me.

Archived