UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

According to Hoopmasters UA signs one

August 30, 2008

Albany adds Arkansas Wings combo forward...

By Van Coleman van@hoopmasters.com

According to a source close to the program, the Albany Great Danes have received a commitment from 6-7 215 combo forward Gavin Glanton of Forrest City HS, AR and the Arkansas Wings AAU Program.

The 6-7 combo can step out and knock down jumper facing hoop inside the arc, has the ability to slash to the basket nad finish in traffic. He averaged 16.9ppg and 9.4 rpg as a high school junior for a 24-7 team.

He chose Albany over interest from Arkansas Little Rock, Arkansas St., Middle Tennessee St., Louisiana Monroe, and Central Arkansas

ESPN Insider says.....October, 2007: Gavin is a long-armed, deceptively strong inside player. He scores the ball well inside around the basket and stays with it after a missed shot. Quick bounce off the floor to follow his own shot. Gavin is a force on the boards, uses his body well to get position on both ends. Has a chance to be a very good player.

Welcome!

EDIT: Sorry b9, didn't notice you already posted the link.

His high school is probably pretty familiar to DI coaches. They seemed to send a player or two there every year over the last couple of seasons. Last year they sent a player to Arkansas and another to the Sun Belt.

Speaking of the Sun Belt that was where his other offers were from. Like those for Mike Johnson that's a pretty good conference to compete with recruits for.

From "Hoop Scoop" some info on Harris and Glanton...........................

.......We also are intrigued by the fact that University of Albany has landed 6'7 Gavin Glanton from Forrest City (H.S.) AR and 6'6 Will Harris is transferring from Virginia to Albany after sitting out the last part of last season with a back injury. Yes, that's the same guy who was ranked #18 in our Final Ranking of the Top 5th Year Players in the Class of 2006 and, at the time, was the equivalent of a player in the 41-70 range nationally. In other words, Harris, who is originally from Queens, NY and also attended Troy (Redemption) NY and first picked the University of Nebraska prior to changing his mind and heading to Virginia, promises to be one of the best players in the league after he sits out next season. Harris also promises to be interchangeable with Glanton at both forward spots. Remember, Harris is a strong physical athlete who is better at slashing to the basket and rebounding than he is at handling and scoring out on the perimeter. In contrast, Glanton, who averaged 16.9 ppg and 9.4 rpg a year ago, showed that he is athletic enough and a good enough 3-point shooter this past summer while playing for the Arkansas Wings to project as wing forward down the road. Glanton picked the Great Danes over schools like Arkansas State, Arkansas-Little Rock, Central Arkansas, Louisiana-Monroe, and Middle Tennessee State......................

From "Hoop Scoop" some info on Harris and Glanton...........................

.......We also are intrigued by the fact that University of Albany has landed 6'7 Gavin Glanton from Forrest City (H.S.) AR and 6'6 Will Harris is transferring from Virginia to Albany after sitting out the last part of last season with a back injury. Yes, that's the same guy who was ranked #18 in our Final Ranking of the Top 5th Year Players in the Class of 2006 and, at the time, was the equivalent of a player in the 41-70 range nationally. In other words, Harris, who is originally from Queens, NY and also attended Troy (Redemption) NY and first picked the University of Nebraska prior to changing his mind and heading to Virginia, promises to be one of the best players in the league after he sits out next season. Harris also promises to be interchangeable with Glanton at both forward spots. Remember, Harris is a strong physical athlete who is better at slashing to the basket and rebounding than he is at handling and scoring out on the perimeter. In contrast, Glanton, who averaged 16.9 ppg and 9.4 rpg a year ago, showed that he is athletic enough and a good enough 3-point shooter this past summer while playing for the Arkansas Wings to project as wing forward down the road. Glanton picked the Great Danes over schools like Arkansas State, Arkansas-Little Rock, Central Arkansas, Louisiana-Monroe, and Middle Tennessee State......................

Patch,

Any clue where hoopscoop ranks him? I know....I know, the grades are not the end-all be-all but I'm just wondering.

bosiydid - as far as I know HoopScoop doesn't rate transfers but from their posting

..... the same guy who was ranked #18 in our Final Ranking of the Top 5th Year Players in the Class of 2006 and, at the time, was the equivalent of a player in the 41-70 range nationally......

bosiydid - as far as I know HoopScoop doesn't rate transfers but from their posting
..... the same guy who was ranked #18 in our Final Ranking of the Top 5th Year Players in the Class of 2006 and, at the time, was the equivalent of a player in the 41-70 range nationally......

I was inquiring about Gavin.

Thanks

I'm sorry, Bosi

Glanton is somewhat of a sleeper as far as ratings go, here's snippets of an article from Rivals dated 8/21

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gavin unknown now but will be

People just call me 'G'. .................. Despite people not knowing Gavin Glanton's name now, it's one that should be on the mind of college coaches. Gavin, a 6' 7" power forward, averages just under a double-double for Forrest City High in Forrest City, Ark.

"Last season I was the second leading scorer, the leader in assists, and the leader in rebounding," Glanton said of his play last year. ................................. Over the summer Gavin played for the Arkansas Wings, a team that shocked a few of AAU's better teams such as the Georgia Stars, Memphis YMCA, and Athletes First. The Wings also took part in the Nike Memorial Day Classic in Nashville, Tenn.

In addition to using his leadership on the court, Gavin also works with kids at a community center as a role model. "My job is just to go and hang out with kids at the center, tell them jokes and whatever. Most of these kids don't have a positive male in their lives so I try to be it," Gavin said of his job. "It doesn't pay much, but I like it and it's rewarding."

Despite having the eagerness to play college basketball, play time is not too big of an issue for the big man, but rather the environment and coaches that will guide him to improving his game in hopes of making the jump to a professional career. "I really want to play for a coach that I can have a relationship with and be around players that can make me better, as much as I can make them better," Glanton said.

..................... he has drawn the interest of schools such as Arkansas State, Central Arkansas, Tulane, Middle Tennessee State, and Murray State; while getting offers from Albany and ULM. Both Albany and ULM are tied for Gavin's commitment, but he does plan on coming to Monroe for the season opening football game versus Alabama A&M in early September.

With the three seniors this year, Hastings, Connelly and Covington, - Glanton and Harris would be the replacements for Connelly and Hastings. So we'd still be recruiting a center I would think.

Along those lines Minnesota Preps is saying that Emmanuel Addo is coming for a visit next weekend. They list him as a forward.

Archived