UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess scholarships don't win football games, football players do.

(still like the scholies though)

Was I the only one who was wondering what Coach Ford's other 8 in the top 10 were?

Hofstra and Delaware were mentioned. I'd think the win over Duqense in the ECAC bowl. The Dukes I think were ranked going in to that game. Also maybe his 200th career win against Wagner.

On Sinkoff's show he mentioned Lehigh, going back aways there was the 1980 win over Central Florida in front of 14,000, and I'd guess maybe the 1985 ECAC bowl win over Plymouth State, the 1977 D-III playoff win vs. Hampden-Sydney, and maybe the ABC Game of the Week win over Ithaca at Bleecker Stadium won by a 45-yd. field goal by soccer goalie Dario Arango.

On Sinkoff's show he mentioned Lehigh, going back aways there was the 1980 win over Central Florida in front of 14,000, and I'd guess maybe the 1985 ECAC bowl win over Plymouth State, the 1977 D-III playoff win vs. Hampden-Sydney, and maybe the ABC Game of the Week win over Ithaca at Bleecker Stadium won by a 45-yd. field goal by soccer goalie Dario Arango.

I agree with all the games mentioned so far.

I don't remember the year, but the first (and only?) year UA played Maine and beat the Black Bears (39-36?) when UA wasn't even Division I? I think UA missed a field goal at the end of the game, but because of a couple Maine penalties UA got two more chances and finally nailed it.

I'm old now and don't have a good memory and I tend to glorify things, but maybe someone out there can at least confirm that UA played in Orono. Please??

I agree with all the games mentioned so far.

I don't remember the year, but the first (and only?) year UA played Maine and beat the Black Bears (39-36?) when UA wasn't even Division I? I think UA missed a field goal at the end of the game, but because of a couple Maine penalties UA got two more chances and finally nailed it.

I'm old now and don't have a good memory and I tend to glorify things, but maybe someone out there can at least confirm that UA played in Orono. Please??

The Media Guide lists all results. Yes, 1977, the NCAA year, Albany beat Maine 42-39 in Orono. I think Maine was D-II football then.

Other games were the two Eastern Football Conference championships over American International (one there in the mud, one in Albany rallying from far down at the half - Ford said "if you're in a deep hole, there must be a shovel around somewhere") and the great wins over Southern Conn. that got us into the title games.

The Media Guide lists all results. Yes, 1977, the NCAA year, Albany beat Maine 42-39 in Orono. I think Maine was D-II football then.

Other games were the two Eastern Football Conference championships over American International (one there in the mud, one in Albany rallying from far down at the half - Ford said "if you're in a deep hole, there must be a shovel around somewhere") and the great wins over Southern Conn. that got us into the title games.

UAalum,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that the UA victory over Maine came so early in UA's football history. I also didn't know that Maine was D2 at the time. We certainly could call our D3 victory over the Black Bears a significant victory for the time in those circumstances.

UAalum,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that the UA victory over Maine came so early in UA's football history. I also didn't know that Maine was D2 at the time. We certainly could call our D3 victory over the Black Bears a significant victory for the time in those circumstances.

Looks like the Yankee Conference uprgraded to I-AA in 1978 - I think that was the first year for I-AA. I also saw somewhere that D-II once allowed up to 60 scholarships (D-I may have been up to 120 at the time) so that win may still have been comparable.

Was I the only one who was wondering what Coach Ford's other 8 in the top 10 were?

Hofstra and Delaware were mentioned. I'd think the win over Duqense in the ECAC bowl. The Dukes I think were ranked going in to that game. Also maybe his 200th career win against Wagner.

The Dukes were ranked 21st coming into that game.

That was the coldest I've ever been in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dukes were ranked 21st coming into that game.

That was the coldest I've ever been in my life.

A little tidbit of interesting info:

After the half, Hofstra is beating stone brook 31-3

How those scholarships working out for you SBU?

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform...aspx?id=4182098

43-3.

This is great for us. Hofstra seems to be improving greatly. I would love to see them finish well in the CAA.

Plus this is the closest we get to whooping SBU this year!

Great recruiting materialf or Fordie to and his staff to walk onto high school campuses in Long Island with.

Archived