UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I don't think we've ever been favored over a CAA team before. We might've been favored over Cornell or Fordham but that's about it.

A big win might open the eyes of those who follow FBS football enough to know Hofstra's name but not enough to know they were about a .500 club at best this year that then lost their quarterback.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This game is a must-win for a few reasons.

1. It shows that we can compete with CAA teams even though we have 1/2 the scholarships.

2. It shows progression in the program. See prior Hofstra scores.

3. Its would be a huge confience boost for the players going into UNH and Delaware (both tough teams).

4. Great for recruiting on LI, especially if we beat Hofstra and Hofstra beats SBU. Sort of an indrect win over SBU.

5. If we don't win this game the only shot was have at playoffs is by beating UNH and Delaware which will be next to impossible. If we win this game and knock off one of UNH or Delaware and run the NEC table, we'll be in the playoffs at 9-2.

And not only have we not ever been favored over a CAA team before, this is likely the first time we've been within a TD of a CAA team. This has some to do with Hofstra's demise in the past few years, but also has a lot do with our progress.

I think we need to win them all - remember the requirement to get into the top 16 in the polls. If we beat Hofstra it's because they're down this year (so the Old Guard reasoning will go) and we'll have to depend on the other team we beat rebounding later in the year.

But beating all three would make us tough to ignore.

I think we need to win them all - remember the requirement to get into the top 16 in the polls. If we beat Hofstra it's because they're down this year (so the Old Guard reasoning will go) and we'll have to depend on the other team we beat rebounding later in the year.

But beating all three would make us tough to ignore.

Us at 9-2 with a tough loss at UMass, wins over Hofstra and UNH/Delaware should get us an at-large without the need for the conditional auto-bid. The only reason we wouldn't get the condition autobid is voter bias (we'd have everything except a top 16 ranking). It would be hard for the committee to ignore a close game against a top 5 team a win over a top 10 teams (which I expect both UNH and Delaware to be when we play them).

We won't qualify for the conditional autobid but we'd have more than enough of a playoff resume to get an at-large. If we were 9-2 with the wins described above and didn't get it in, it would be solid evidence of "old guard" bias.

But yes, win all 3 and we're a lock (assuming an untouched run through the NEC, which will be tough with Monmouth looking good).

We won't qualify for the conditional autobid but we'd have more than enough of a playoff resume to get an at-large. If we were 9-2 with the wins described above and didn't get it in, it would be solid evidence of "old guard" bias.

Do you actually need evidence?

The auto requirements actually give the committee a built-in excuse if an NEC team achieves anything less - "Well, they didn't do what they had to, so we can give another at-large to the OVC"

Let's just TCoB

Do you actually need evidence?

The auto requirements actually give the committee a built-in excuse if an NEC team achieves anything less - "Well, they didn't do what they had to, so we can give another at-large to the OVC"

Let's just TCoB

I know, that's why I think the conditional AQ is stupid. I'm just holding out hope the committee may come to their senses.

And you're right. There's a lot of games left to be played! A lot can happen in 10 games.

Chuck Burton (The CSN Way)

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com...p;tb=1&pb=1

Albany at Hofstra. Albany’s “Theater of Pain” tour continues: after a week off after frightening the pants off of UMass fans after their Great Danes succumbed 28-16 to the Minutemen, Albany takes Week Two in their tour of the CAA against Bryan Savage-less Hofstra this week. The Pride have had more than two weeks to prepare for their clash with Albany after losing Savage in a 35-3 loss to FBS UConn. But I think the loss of Savage might be too much to overcome: behind the running of runningback David McCarty, I think the Danes take this game – handily – and the discussion about the merits of Albany making the FCS playoffs start on Sunday morning.

Motley Crew 24, Savage-Less Gardens 10.

just so everyone knows, they are going to be retiring Marques Colston's # tmrw at the game...not sure if he is going to be there. I would think not, even with an injury.

I believe b9 and I will be in the main parking area were all the hofstra fans are talking about...we will have burgers going and some soda and beer.

CSN The CAA Today

Bruce Dowd

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com...p;tb=1&pb=1

Albany at Hofstra 1 p.m. (Albany beats a struggling Hofstra squad): I would like to be a homer here and pick Hofstra, but it just has too many holes to fill, especially with Brian Savage now out for the season. Albany is a good football team that played UMass tough in week one.

Both teams had a bye week last week leading into this contest, but I have a feeling Albany had a much more productive week than Hofstra. During this bye week for Hofstra, in addition to the news of the loss of Brian Savage for the year, they had a stomach virus go through the team and as a result, 28 guys missed practice on Wednesday of last week. Its new quarterback, Cory Christopher looked good at times against Connecticut. He is real athletic and is a much better runner than Savage was, but coach Cohen is not going to feature that. Here is what he had to say: “ … use Cory more as a true runner, but the problem with that is the next guy we have is a true freshman. Cory is certainly able and capable of running our pass offense. So, we are not really going to change things from the perspective of [our normal offensive scheme]. We do not want to put him in a position that he is going to take more hits than necessary. Anytime you put someone at the quarterback run game then you are [exposing him to more hits]. So the decision is that we are going to stick to the package we were running with Brian and not having more of an emphasis on quarterback run play.”

With all this going on at Hofstra and a good Albany team coming in, I just think it is too much for Hofstra to handle. However, I have seen times like this, with all this adversity that Hofstra has had, when teams will rally around that and perform beyond expectations. So a Hofstra victory here is still possible, especially at home.

The Upset Meter Rating here is; [Does not apply , toss up game]

TV Coverage: ESPN Classic

Archived