UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Another bites the dust

They love to take us to task so courtesy of TU blog.....

Gieler leaves Siena

September 8, 2008 at 4:17 pm by Mark Singelais, Staff writer

Without playing a game for Siena, center Wolfgang Gieler has left to pursue a professional basketball career in his native Germany.

Gieler, a 6-foot-8, 257-pound transfer from Allan Hancock College in California, was brought in to provide size and rebounding ability the Saints lacked last season.

Here’s the release from Siena:

Wolfgang Gieler has left Siena College to pursue a professional basketball career in Germany. Gieler was enrolled at the College this summer and had been taking classes and working out with the team before deciding to head home to Germany this week.

“We regret that Wolfgang determined it was in his best interest to leave Siena,” head coach Fran McCaffery said. “I was excited about his future at Siena and regret that he did not have the experience we were all hoping for.”

Three and counting!

Who else left the cow fields of the LCC campus, besides this guy?

This was posted by someone on the TU blog....

Jack McClinton - was on scholarship when McCaffery arrived

Kojo Mensah - left after McCaffery’s first year

Levi Osby - forced out after McCaffery finally recruited the post

JG Braga - told to hit the bricks as he was too busy chasing tail

Chris De la Rosa - wants to be “the man” at UMBC

James Carr - poor post recruit

Wolfgang Geiler - poor post recruit

You really CAN'T blame McCaffery for the Jack and Kojo (I actually sided with Siena on the Kojo thing) but the other 5 are on him. I probably made to much hay on the matter over there, but some days you are the carcass and some days you are the vulture. God knows they've been vultures enough to our carcass, so what good for the goose should be good for the gander.

I'm just wondering where EDIT: I meant to say Mark, sorry Pete from the Timues Useless is to give us an accurate count! He always give us little hits like.......4 in 1, 6 in 2 etc.

Who else left the cow fields of the LCC campus, besides this guy?

This was posted by someone on the TU blog....

Jack McClinton - was on scholarship when McCaffery arrived

Kojo Mensah - left after McCaffery’s first year

Levi Osby - forced out after McCaffery finally recruited the post

JG Braga - told to hit the bricks as he was too busy chasing tail

Chris De la Rosa - wants to be “the man” at UMBC

James Carr - poor post recruit

Wolfgang Geiler - poor post recruit

You really CAN'T blame McCaffery for the Jack and Kojo (I actually sided with Siena on the Kojo thing) but the other 5 are on him. I probably made to much hay on the matter over there, but some days you are the carcass and some days you are the vulture. God knows they've been vultures enough to our carcass, so what good for the goose should be good for the gander.

I'm just wondering where Pete from the Timues Useless is to give us an accurate count! He always give us little hits like.......4 in 1, 6 in 2 etc.

You absolutely can blame Fran and Siena for the KoJo situation. They took just another player leaving that school and made it into a long drawn out mess for whatever reason. It was like they wanted to punish him for leaving because they didn't like him, his advisor, or whatever. But everyone else can leave without a problem especially if they suck.

From the Siena site......

McCaffery has had 9 kids under scholarship that have left in 3 years. Somehow, you're able to poo-po0 all of them without seeing what quite a few of them actually are/were. - soup

I guess bosi under estimated the losses at Siena when he stated 7.

The Siena fans can justify anything their coach has been thrown out of 3 games (1 in Europe during a friendly?), his wife has been thrown out of 1 game and asked to leave a press conference (at home) and their posters have justified it all.

That speaks volumes of their mentality.

McCaffery has had 9 kids under scholarship that have left in 3 years. Somehow, you're able to poo-po0 all of them without seeing what quite a few of them actually are/were. - soup

The Siena fans can justify anything their coach has been thrown out of 3 games (1 in Europe during a friendly?), his wife has been thrown out of 1 game and asked to leave a press conference (at home) and their posters have justified it all.

Patch,

That's my point...they justify absolutely everything; the likes of KS and others love to put themselves up on some moral pedestal when the fact of the matter is they (Siena) are no different then other D1 programs trying to win. It's good to get a reality check once in a while and keep the arrogance in check. Some of them really need it! Maybe next time they will shelve that arrogance and bite their tongue, undoubtedly both schools will lose players to transfers moving forward.

Like I said...I probably made to much of this on their board but I make no apologies for it....the multiple threads authored over there slamming UA and our coaching staff simply shows them as hypocrites.

Patch,

That's my point...they justify absolutely everything; the likes of KS and others love to put themselves up on some moral pedestal when the fact of the matter is they (Siena) are no different then other D1 programs trying to win. It's good to get a reality check once in a while and keep the arrogance in check. Some of them really need it! Maybe next time they will shelve that arrogance and bite their tongue, undoubtedly both schools will lose players to transfers moving forward.

Like I said...I probably made to much of this on their board but I make no apologies for it....the multiple threads authored over there slamming UA and our coaching staff simply shows them as hypocrites.

The only time worth mentioning that 1 sport wonder junior college, is when they come rent our fields, due to the lack of facilities on the cow fields in Loudonville.

By the way, why would the players want to stay on a program that, after 40 years, can still only win one game in the tournament. There's not much to talk about when it comes to that school.

They are jealous that UAlbany is like a bullet train since joining D1 and has surpassed almost all of their 40 year accomplishments. Of course they are going to bitch and cry about the real university in town.

Wouldn't YOU be embarrassed if you were hosting the maac lacrosse championship tournament and your athletic department is so bad that it fields a team that isn't even good enough to make the tournament.... I almost feel bad for them.

The sentence I found most interesting in Iorizzo's blog is that there was "some uncertainty about how his credits from Junior College would transfer to Siena" What kind of Junior College was this player recruited from? How could there still be uncertainty on September 8? Didn't the Siena recruitment staff consider this potential problem? and, of course, we're not exactly talking about transferring credits to an Ivy caliber educational institution here.

The sentence I found most interesting in Iorizzo's blog is that there was "some uncertainty about how his credits from Junior College would transfer to Siena"

Isn't that just Siena speak for "We are not sure we want this stiff on our team now even tough we were hyping him up to be great not too long ago?"

Straight from the horses mouth :wacko:

...... It is nice that Siena got the verbal from Wolfgang early, the competition for a big athletic big man :wub: could have been tough in April as teams scramble to fill out their rosters - Siena Tony

Now we know Tony is very conservative with his opinion and he researches everything thoroughly. He also has a tenedency parrott the coaches.

So if he said - Wolffgang Gieler (sp?) was big and athletic you know that was an understatement :rolleyes: because he would never exaggerate.

Since travelling from the west coast the airlines must have misplaced Gieler's athleticism :excl: especially his ability to run :( and all of a sudden there may be some academic issues :ph34r: . I guess since he verballed in January the Siena staff couldn't take care of the academics in California like they can when a student is enrolled at Siena

• 2 weeks later...
The sentence I found most interesting in Iorizzo's blog is that there was "some uncertainty about how his credits from Junior College would transfer to Siena"

Isn't that just Siena speak for "We are not sure we want this stiff on our team now even tough we were hyping him up to be great not too long ago?"

Straight from Athlons. Obviously printed before he left, but sounds quite different than McCafferty's quotes when he decided to leave lcc.

"The Saints also feel their post play will improve dramatically because of 6'10", 255-pound junior college transfer Wolfgang Gieler."

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-basket...c-hoops-preview

Archived