UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

All Capital District Basketball team...

It seems like a reasonable team. Hopefully when this is revisited in 10-20 years, we'll have a larger representaion of the players.

Also hope that there will be more qualified "experts" to pick a team in 20 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TU was gone in 20 years.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mental giants on the Siena board are very angry this morning with one claiming that it's a crime that Coach Brown made the team while Hewitt didn't......with another offering such great analysis as "Brown sucks". Never mind that he is still the only coach who's gone back to back to the NCAA's out of the two D1 teams. One of the teams has been D1 for decades and never managed to accomplish that feat.

HAHAHA...good stuff!

Any team that doesn.t mention Rich Margison isn't worth discussing.

It's October, shouldn't we be discussing the all-time Capital District College FOOTBALL Team?

why would we be doing that.

Siena would have to have a football team for the TU to do that.

This is kind of OT but....Ken Pomeroy had this to say about the MAAC.

SSB: Would you evaluate the MAAC as a mid-major or a low major conference?

Pomeroy: We’re delving into the land of arbitrary distinctions and I try not to spend too much time trying to label things. There’s a million ways to rank conferences or establish their “goodness”. I think just about any one you pick would have the MAAC in the bottom half of D-I, perhaps on the edge of the bottom third. I mean, on the one hand the conference has a couple of non play-in game tournament wins this decade. On the other, their champ was placed in the play-in game just two seasons ago. And although it was a horrible decision to put Niagara in that game, just being considered for it says something. Were I the MAAC commissioner, I might borrow Dan Hawkins’ line for a conference motto. “It’s Division I basketball! It’s the MAAC! It ain’t intramurals!” That about sums it up.

For a group that doesn't miss a chance to remind us that our conference stinks and they are far superior....this quote is gonna rankle some chains. :D

Any team that doesn.t mention Rich Margison isn't worth discussing.

It's October, shouldn't we be discussing the all-time Capital District College FOOTBALL Team?

Why not an all-time worst Capital District College Basketball team..........

Bob Beyer and Scott Beeten would be co-head coaches.

The one thing this All Capital team did was show how anal $iena fans are. Some of them actual criticize the choice of Doc Sauers as coach. Imagine if a $iena coach every won 700 games what they would be saying.

I don't get why it bothers you guys so? Sure, Siena fans are going to lobby for the guys that they have rooted for over the years, no different then Albany fans and St Rose fans. Personally, I have no problem with Sauer's being the coach and absolutely agree that Wilson deserved 1st team honors. I loved Lillis as a player and thought he deferred to Wilson/Siggers way too much earlier in his career, but I question his inclusion on this team. (I'm sure there are more deserving Albany players from pre-D1 days that did not get honored. )

These kind of lists are generated to create a debate. If everyone agreed, then the lists would be awfully boring. to 73, I agree that a team in 20 years will likely look different (I can't speak for all of the guys listed, but from Siena, I expect Mathews, Robinson, Archbold and Faison to be off the list and current players Ubiles and Hasbrouck to be in the conversation.) I also agree that UAlbany will likely have more players included as the program continues to mature at the D1 level.

To U72, well, seeing as Midnight Madness/start of practice was on Friday, it's as good a time as any to discuss an all time team. Personally, I couldn't name 12 local college football players to make a list. (I suspect that other than the die hard fans of respective football programs, the same would hold true for most casual fans.) That said, let me pose a question ... if they did do an all time list of local college football players, how many would be UAlbany players? I have to think this board would generate a list heavy with UAlbany players. Would that mean that UAlbany fans are snobs or anal?

Lastly, bob87, not for nothing, but didn't Singlais participate in putting the list together? How many other AE programs feature a full time beat reporter following their basketball team? Why not enjoy the extensive coverage your program does get rather than complain about the fairly comparable coverage that Siena gets.

To U72, well, seeing as Midnight Madness/start of practice was on Friday, it's as good a time as any to discuss an all time team. Personally, I couldn't name 12 local college football players to make a list. (I suspect that other than the die hard fans of respective football programs, the same would hold true for most casual fans.)

What's your point? Other than diehard 'aints fans, who knows or cares WhoTF Billy Farrell and Lee Matthews are?

To U72, well, seeing as Midnight Madness/start of practice was on Friday, it's as good a time as any to discuss an all time team. Personally, I couldn't name 12 local college football players to make a list. (I suspect that other than the die hard fans of respective football programs, the same would hold true for most casual fans.)

What's your point? Other than diehard 'aints fans, who knows or cares WhoTF Billy Farrell and Lee Matthews are?

nice ... my point is that the discussion on College basketball's all time greatest local players generated scores of responses on this boad, the Siena board and the TU blog. Why, because people are interested and have an opinion. If you did one for football, it would not generate nearly as much of a response as there are fewer fans following the respective programs. Basketball lends itself better to this kind of discussion because there are fewer players on the floor and the media attention generated by success dwarfs that of D1-AA football. (No disrespect meant to Albany football, I know it's not D1-AA anymore, I just don't remember what they are calling Albany's level now ... is is FCS?)

UAlbany's two America East championships in basketball generated more local and national attention for the Danes then football ever has. Why, because people care more about college basketball then they do for college football in this market.

Quack - Thanks for you point of view

I truly do appreciate it, but when $iena fans complain about a guy with 700 wins being picked as the Head Coach of the All Capital Team it reaks of arrogance and a$$ine like lack of basketball intelligence.

Is there a $aint coach who has half that many?

Quack - Thanks for you point of view

I truly do appreciate it, but when $iena fans complain about a guy with 700 wins being picked as the Head Coach of the All Capital Team it reaks of arrogance and a$$ine like lack of basketball intelligence.

Is there a $aint coach who has half that many?

I have no idea, but don't make it like it is one sided. Did you read all of the St Rose fans complaining about Bucci being left off the list? It's the nature of the beast when it comes to these kinds of things. You always want your guy to get recognized even if the numbers don't necessarily support it. Again, I think Sauers was the right call at coach, but that doesn't mean there is no room for discussion.

Archived