UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

More interesting CAA speculation

Virginia Commenwealth possibly considering adding football. They are an all-sports member of the CAA.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-...10-28-0078.html

Addition could also mean George Mason would be interested. No way in heck a 16 team league would happen. I'm not sold that a 14 team league will happen.

All speculation now though.

Virginia Commenwealth possibly considering adding football. They are an all-sports member of the CAA.<a href="http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-10-28-0078.html"'>http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-10-28-0078.html" target="_blank">

</a><a href="http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-10-28-0078.html" target="_blank">

</a>http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-...10-28-0078.html

Addition could also mean George Mason would be interested. No way in heck a 16 team league would happen. I'm not sold that a 14 team league will happen.

Great find Danefan.

It certainly helps us if a new conference is formed or if the existing conference splits into a north-south division.

Danefan, I know UMass has eyed the possibility of FBS. My question is if a new Yankee style conference was formed would there be enough interest in making that a FBS (D1A) conference? I would think the largest current hurdle of UMass or any northeastern state school going FBS is what conference would they join. MAC is the only possibility and they've been pretty good of late (Ball State is ranked nationally). If we all move up together we could gradually improve together. Thoughts? Or is it just a money issue?

Virginia Commenwealth possibly considering adding football. They are an all-sports member of the CAA.<a href="http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-10-28-0078.html"'>http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-10-28-0078.html" target="_blank">

</a><a href="http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-10-28-0078.html" target="_blank">

</a>http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-...10-28-0078.html

Great find Danefan.

It certainly helps us if a new conference is formed or if the existing conference splits into a north-south division.

Danefan, I know UMass has eyed the possibility of FBS. My question is if a new Yankee style conference was formed would there be enough interest in making that a FBS (D1A) conference? I would think the largest current hurdle of UMass or any northeastern state school going FBS is what conference would they join. MAC is the only possibility and they've been pretty good of late (Ball State is ranked nationally). If we all move up together we could gradually improve together. Thoughts? Os is it just a money issue?

I'm not all that familiar with the FBS world, but I doubt any of the schools want to be part of another FBS conference like the Sun Belt or MAC. I really can only see UMass and Delaware moving up if they could get into the Big East or something similar. Take a couple of Florida examples and you'll see why they would probably think that: Florida International and Flordia Atlantic - Sun Belt teams that are struggling. Compare them with USF in the Big East.

Same with UConn versus Buffalo. UConn is in much better shape then Buffalo, and a lot of that has to do with conference affiliation.

PRESENT CAA FOOTBALL CONFERENCE

James Madison - CAA

NH - AE

Maine -AE

Villanova - BIGE

W & M - CAA

UMass – ATL10

Hofstra - CAA

Richmond – ATL10

Northeastern - CAA

Towson - CAA

Delaware - CAA

RI – ATL10

OTHER CAA TEAMS

Old Dominion – Starts football in 2011

Georgia State – Starts football in 2012

VCU – Serious Interest in starting football

George Mason

NC Wilmington

Drexel

Personally, I don’t see Maine, and NH, wanting to leave a popular and successful FCS football league for an AE football league ( an athletic conference that currently only has four FCS football programs – and no signs of additional interest )

I don’t see UMass, RI, or Villanova wanting to leave the CAA …. to be affiliate members of any other football conference period.

The NEC isn't planning on even going to 40 until a year after next... I don't think they will ever go much higher if at all.. Not with the teams in the NEC now.

I would think one of the only option for a significant shakeup, and a chance for UAlbany, is the CAA breaking into a North and South Division football conference. With 14 programs confirmed, 15 or 16 likely, in the future, and without any realignment isn’t feasible.

Is UAlbany the only interested party from outside the CAA core teams, in joining a divided CAA?

How would the North and South Division look?

CAA North

UAlbany - AE

NH - AE

Maine -AE

UMass – ATL10

Northeastern - CAA - - (in Mass)

Delaware - CAA

RI – ATL10

Hofstra - CAA - - (in NY)

CAA South

James Madison - CAA - - (in virginia)

Villanova - BIGE - - (in Philadelphia)

W & M - CAA - - (in virginia)

Richmond – ATL10 - - (in virginia)

Towson - CAA - - (in Maryland)

Old Dominion – Starts football in 2011 - - (in virginia)

Georgia State – Starts football in 2012

VCU – Serious Interest in starting football

With the condition that if the CAA breaks into a North and South Division system, that each division receives an autobid from the NCAA FCS Playoff system.

Thanks Danefan.

I really wouldn't expect anyone to move up to FBS. I was just thinking that this might be our (Northeast state schools excluding UConn) one opportunity to do so. UMass or Delaware would struggle to win one or two games in the Big East but they would continue to have winning records if we all made the jump. A new Northeast MAC style conference would keep the competition even across all the teams and give us a better fighting chance against low level FBS teams like Army. Heck, UNH is already a tough competitor at 64 schollies, just ask Army, Northwestern, etc. Imagine what they could do with 85?

Just thinking out loud. I'm sure money would be an impossible hurdle even if they wanted to do so. I'd be happy if we kept up with UMass. Thanks again for the information.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't want to start a new thread so I figured this might be the spot for this question.

Marist football joins the Pioneer League next year. Why are they joining that league and not the Northeast Conference with us? Doesn't the NEC seem like a perfect fit for Marist? Did the NEC reject a Marist request or decline to offer an invitation? Seems bizarre to me. Thought some of you might have more insight or thought about it, even if just speculation.

And Marist, who was an independent for football (at least this year, no?), is joining a "catch-all" league as far as I'm concerned. The Pioneer League is like the Conference-USA of Division I-A football. Just a conference for "everybody else." Look at the Pioneer League's membership; it features schools from all over the country. Lots of travel money to be spent!

Pioneer League:

Butler Bulldogs

Campell Camels (Camels??!)

Davidson Wildcats

Dayton Flyers (who I expect we'll play again on December 6)

Drake Bulldogs

Jacksonville Dolphins (Florida team?)

Marist Red Foxes (2009)

Morehead State Eagles

San Diego Toreros (What is a toreros, and California???)

Valparaiso Crusaders

I'm sorry, but this is a stupid conference insofar as geography is concerned. Lots of money for airline travel and good luck with the San Diego vs. Marist or Jacksonville rivalry (road trip might be fun though).

Shooting from the hip here, but given what could be an increase in travel money spent by Marist for being in this league, wouldn't it make more sense to dish out the $$ for extra scholarships needed to join the NEC, save some travel money, and play more localized schools that fit Marist's profile?

If UAlbany joined the Pioneer League, I'd be ticked.

And Marist, who was an independent for football (at least this year, no?), is joining a "catch-all" league as far as I'm concerned. The Pioneer League is like the Conference-USA of Division I-A football. Just a conference for "everybody else." Look at the Pioneer League's membership; it features schools from all over the country. Lots of travel money to be spent!

Pioneer League:

Butler Bulldogs

Campell Camels (Camels??!)

Davidson Wildcats

Dayton Flyers (who I expect we'll play again on December 6)

Drake Bulldogs

Jacksonville Dolphins (Florida team?)

Marist Red Foxes (2009)

Morehead State Eagles

San Diego Toreros (What is a toreros, and California???)

Valparaiso Crusaders

I'm sorry, but this is a stupid conference insofar as geography is concerned. Lots of money for airline travel and good luck with the San Diego vs. Marist or Jacksonville rivalry (road trip might be fun though).

Shooting from the hip here, but given what could be an increase in travel money spent by Marist for being in this league, wouldn't it make more sense to dish out the $$ for extra scholarships needed to join the NEC, save some travel money, and play more localized schools that fit Marist's profile?

If UAlbany joined the Pioneer League, I'd be ticked.

It would make sense....unless you are a MAAC 'powerhouse' who is ashamed to be associated (in football) with the likes of UA and the NEC.

. . . though the MAAC Football League ceased to exist in 2007-08.

From MAAC's Wikipedia page:

The MAAC Football League was formed in 1993 and folded in the 2007-08 academic year. At its peak, it consisted of Canisius, Duquesne, Fairfield, Georgetown, Iona, La Salle, Marist, Saint John's, Saint Peter's and Siena.

Canisius, Fairfield, Saint John's and Siena have since disbanded their football programs. St. Peter's disbanded their football team in June 2007, while La Salle did the same in November 2007.

Georgetown, a former MAACFL member, has moved to the Patriot League. Duquesne will leave the MAACFL after the 2007 season to join the Northeast Conference. Marist and Iona will compete as FCS independents for 2008, with Marist joining the Pioneer Football League in 2009.

Archived