UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Budget Issues

danefan

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...category=REGION

Almost $1.3 billion in economic development projects in this year's budget are in trouble as the Paterson administration plans to merge three granting agencies.

IMO stadium funding is in trouble. Whether it falls under SUNY budget or not I think its viewed as a pet project in NYS. Unfortunately until this point it was a stray pet. Sad that the State of NY treats its universities this way.

Plan B anyone? What is plan B?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you here must have some ideas on where the AD can turn to,

if we do not get funding in the upcoming budget.

Anyone know where a college / university can get low (very low) interest loans?

How about SEFCU? Or are any sort of loans out of the question?

How about a huge donor, say in the 20million range... granting naming rights, etc....

which seems to me would have to be a major company say GE, IBM, etc.

How about the city of Albany? How about using the convention center cash fund, that's in what, the 300-400 million range now, and investing in the city's MAJOR University? By investing in UAlbany's stadium, it is only DRASTICALLY improving the appeal and quality of the city. A University of Albany stadium, IS a city of Albany stadium. I really do think the city of Albany should step up.

Heck, the US House and US Senate throw in earmarks all the time.. How about a 50million earmark from one of Albany's congressmen, or Schumer or Clinton... It does help the state to drastically improve our university centers.

Seeing how unbelievable the earmarks can be, a university should be an admirable candidate.

It's amazing to me how backassward nys can be. Imagine what Florida, Michigan, Texas, California, etc. etc. etc. if their state governments approached their university systems like ny does. Collegiate athletics is a freakin HUGE part of a college experience, EVEN for students who are the top academic-wise. Even geniuses like entertainment and to express University pride, and what better way to do so than collegiate athletics. The better the athletic department, the better the University... it can only drastically improve the University's standing nationally. It's time that NYS pulls it's head out of it's CABOOSE.

I don't have any suggested solutions that I don't think the state and UA already aren't trying but from what I have heard so far in this post here are my two cents ..nothing too positive be forewarned haha.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...category=REGION

Almost $1.3 billion in economic development projects in this year's budget are in trouble as the Paterson administration plans to merge three granting agencies.

IMO stadium funding is in trouble. Whether it falls under SUNY budget or not I think its viewed as a pet project in NYS. Unfortunately until this point it was a stray pet. Sad that the State of NY treats its universities this way.

The article is talking about $1.3Billion in economic development in this year's budget which is fiscal year 08-09, not the upcoming budget 09-10. What should be worried about are the projects UA did get funded this fiscal year which includes the School of Buisness Building and the Campus Project. Those now have a chance to be cut!

Anyone know where a college / university can get low (very low) interest loans?

How about SEFCU? Or are any sort of loans out of the question?

Since UA is a state entity itself and I don't believe they can get a loan outside of those already allocated by the state. And during this current fiscal I'm not sure how many low interest loans are actually out there...

How about a huge donor, say in the 20million range... granting naming rights, etc....

which seems to me would have to be a major company say GE, IBM, etc.

Having a private company pay a large chunk of money to have their name on a building probably isn't the most fiscally sound decision a company could be making right now in this economy. I think if that was realistic possibility it would have already been tapped into and not a left as a plan B.

I have a gut feeling that tells me the University and AD had thought of no other options BECAUSE they assumed receiving state funding the 1st time for the stadium was a SLAM DUNK. I think they were shocked, or perhaps even stunned. I don't think they weighed other options. At least not until last April when the funding was axed.

I think companies like GE and IBM are virtually unphased by the hurting economy, and shedding some millions would be like throwing a penny into the wishing well for us. Stumbling upon the right person at the right time with the right connections is all that anything really takes.

I was hoping that loans would be a possibility... but as you say, the intertwining of new york state and our state university might prohibit it. I have NO idea how it would work with the state being involved, etc. Do we already get LOANS through the state? Or through state channels? If so, for what?

Optimism Reigns Here!

Optimistic that UAlbany will get the cash to build the stadium,

through state funding or from another source.

I applaud your enthusiasm and I am also hopeful.

That being said, the one thing I know about NYS is that its incredibly dysfunctional. There are no comparisons to NYS. New York doesn't care what any other state is doing or how well it works. It always does everything differently and usually with less success. This 'financial crisis' is real but its also an excuse to do nothing. The next 3 years will be incredibly hard for SUNY; the following years will return to normal neglect.

The best solution would be for UA to play its home games at UConn, UMass and every other surrounding state to shame NYS.

From the Governor this morning regarding capital projects: ..Uh-oh.

"In light of the current market crisis and the potential risk to the state’s finances, it is critical that we prioritize our new capital spending to focus on health and safety projects that address our state’s most important infrastructure needs. To this end, I am instituting a more rigorous review process for all new capital projects.

To begin any new construction or rehabilitation initiative, you must have the joint prior approval of the Division of the Budget and the Office of State Operations. Only essential projects will be approved.

For the purposes of this directive, a project is considered essential if failure to complete it will (1) present an immediate, demonstrable threat to public health or safety; (2) directly violate a court order or federal, state, or local law; or (3) result in a substantial reduction in federal aid."

From the Governor this morning regarding capital projects: ..Uh-oh.

"In light of the current market crisis and the potential risk to the state's finances, it is critical that we prioritize our new capital spending to focus on health and safety projects that address our state's most important infrastructure needs. To this end, I am instituting a more rigorous review process for all new capital projects.

To begin any new construction or rehabilitation initiative, you must have the joint prior approval of the Division of the Budget and the Office of State Operations. Only essential projects will be approved.

For the purposes of this directive, a project is considered essential if failure to complete it will (1) present an immediate, demonstrable threat to public health or safety; (2) directly violate a court order or federal, state, or local law; or (3) result in a substantial reduction in federal aid."

In other words:

No capital spending is going to be approved for athletic projects.

Great.

In other words:

Great.

I would structure my argument around provision 1: Failure to complete it will "Present an immediate, demonstrable threat to public health or safety."

If we all threaten to go a little crazy without a new football stadium the qualifications are met.

Seriously, though, his letter is a bit disconcerting.

In other words:

Great.

I would structure my argument around provision 1: Failure to complete it will "Present an immediate, demonstrable threat to public health or safety."

If we all threaten to go a little crazy without a new football stadium the qualifications are met.

I would also structure my argument around provision 1.....The rusted bleachers and bad sight lines (stiff necks/lost eyesight) CLEARLY present an immediate, demonstrable threat to public health and safety! :closedeyes:

If there is a plan B...it's probably time to move to it.

In other words:

Great.

I would also structure my argument around provision 1.....The rusted bleachers and bad sight lines (stiff necks/lost eyesight) CLEARLY present an immediate, demonstrable threat to public health and safety! :closedeyes:

The visitor's bleachers definitely have safety issue. Maybe we can get the Town of Guilderland builing inspector to come in and condemn University Field?

Immediate threat to public safety?

In other words:

Great.

The visitor's bleachers definitely have safety issue. Maybe we can get the Town of Guilderland builing inspector to come in and condemn University Field?

Immediate threat to public safety?

Now were cooking with gas! Someone get this over to Dr. M......I think we've found a loophole!

I come back to BPF, and this is what I have to read.

Ouch... radical action from our new york state leader.

By the way, when a governor disgraces himself in a prostitution scandal, and resigns,

is his replacement considered a 'scab' or 'temp' or 'interim' or none of the above?

If there is one area that should be spared from budget cuts, it's a state university educational system, regardless what a university is requesting.

Curious: Anyone have any first hand knowledge on the typical workings in a collegiate athletic department?

Is the typical AD open and does it share their information, ideas, and plans of action with it's alumni, students, etc. and have transparency with the hows and whys? Or is it typical to be completely secretive? Or somewhere in the middle?

Archived