UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Help Save the Iona Football Program

danefan

Iona is on the verge of dropping their football program. A school dropping a program is never good for anyone, especially the kids involved.

Help our fellow FCS brethren out by signing the petition to be submitted to the Iona president:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-i...e-football.html

Thanks!

Iona is on the verge of dropping their football program. A school dropping a program is never good for anyone, especially the kids involved.

Help our fellow FCS brethren out by signing the petition to be submitted to the Iona president:

Thanks!

Shouldn't we be more worried about getting better schools that don't have football to add football than we should be concerned about a lowly maac team dropping its football program especially one that outlasted most of the other schools in that pathetic league.

I think most maac teams would drop most of their sports if they weren't required to have a certain number of sports to maintain d1 basketball status.

Thanks!

Shouldn't we be more worried about getting better schools that don't have football to add football than we should be concerned about a lowly maac team dropping its football program especially one that outlasted most of the other schools in that pathetic league.

I think most maac teams would drop most of their sports if they weren't required to have a certain number of sports to maintain d1 basketball status.

I don't care what school or conference they are in, its never a good thing, IMO for kids to have less opportunity to play college football. If they keep the program, they'll end up in the PFL anyway. We'll need somebody to beat up on OOC anyway.

That is very sad. New York has been hemorrhaging D1 football teams. Iona, Canisius, St Peters are all gone. I intentionally didn't mention Siena because I could care less about them, and that's being nice about my feelings toward that school. Nonetheless, the number of New York teams is dropping and that's bad.

This is the kind of news that always makes me nervous. I don't think I'll feel better until UA has a new stadium and we're full schollie. At that point I can feel confident about our future. All it takes is some pin head administrator and 100 years of football history is gone.

That is very sad. New York has been hemorrhaging D1 football teams. Iona, Canisius, St Peters are all gone.

Of course St. Peter's is in New Jersey. But SUNY-Maritime and SUNY-Morrisville (re)started football programs in the last two years, and those D-III programs probably have better facilities and support than the "D-I MAAC" football ever had.

One-- no one is killing Albany football.

Two- 100 years? Ummmm....'splain that.

Albany football is very strong. I'm just saying I would feel more comfortable once we have a $60M investment sitting on campus. Even the most ardent anti-sports advocate couldn't argue tossing out such a large investment. Although once again, UA is as solid as we can be short of that necessary investment.

The 100 year reference was just that, a reference that most college football programs were started in the late 1800's. I can't count the number of times I hear "we've been playing this game for 100 +/- years". UGA v. Auburn, Army v. Navy etc. Throw in the Ivy league, Rutgers etc. all about the same time period. It wasn't a reference specific to Albany or Iona, just that many programs were founded between 1880 and 1900. So, randomly shutting down a program would likely shut down about 100 years of history. College and football have had a 100 year relationship and I've loved my short period with that relationship.

Whether people like it or not, I am one of millions of men who stay engaged to my college through college football. I've given thousands of dollars to my college because of that football program. Take that away from me, and you take away my interest and my financial support for this college. Period. I can find somewhere else to put my time and money.

Archived