UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Men's Ice Hockey

Was just being funny, I know we cant just jump right away. It was more of a commentary on how I am growing increasingly skeptical of the football stadium actually being built. Personally, I would take whatever funds we could get to improve the existing facilities (permanent stands at all fields, proper press facilities, renovations to University field) and also increase the budgets of high end club sports (Ice Hockey, rugby, etc.). Oh if I could only be Athletic Director.

Ok-

1. We cant increase budgets of the club sports because they are not sponsored by the Ath. Dept.-- it would be a violation. The money has to flow from the general fund, but it can go through the ADept...but it cant generate from there. If the ADept ran recreation...it may be different, but I pretty sure it isnt run that way.

2. Forget ice hockey. we had an oppty years ago to build an arena on the Fuller Road site when, I believe, Jim Coyne approached us. We said no.

Ice Hockey costs are ridiculous....aint happening. And this is coming from someone who still thinks his best sport was hockey.

3. You have ideas...but where are the solutions. We all want those things...no more so then the ADept. But, finishing the lax facilities will cost probably a million (concessions, bathroom, etc) or more. Rehab university field will probably cost 10 million.

$$$$$$$

The Capitol Region is swamped with college hockey. RPI, Union and Skidmore all have teams. UA would get no publicity and it would be hard to compete against those well established and very competitive teams.

No college sport brings out more fans than football. A poor football crowd attendance is a few thousand people, more than many well attended hockey games. Even a decent fully scholly team brings out 8,000 plus fans. Montana brings out 20,000, if I recall and they're still 1 freaking AA. UA has an opportunity to fill a void for the most popular college sport. In the last few years New York has been losing football teams: Siena, Canisus, Iona etc. There are fewer competitiors in a highly visible and popular sport. New York only has 3 D1A football teams. That's a tiny number relative to New York's peer states like Florida, Michigan or California. The college football landscape in New York is in our favor and only getting better. Who knows, Marist may be next to go? This is where UA needs to be to be a household name.

UA is in a great position. Lets use our heads people. Lets keep pace with our SUNY Center peers. I like hockey but football makes the most strategic sense. We're the only football team from here to the Canadian border. There is nothing south of us until Army in Orange county.

This is our's to be had!

First things first...Albany should (eventually) move up to M1 of the ACHL. There is a massive void in teams at the highest level of the ACHL in New England, and east of NYC in general (only Rhody and Stony Brook as of now).

Albany was at one time a probationary Division I member of the Super East CHL (Holy Cross, UNH club, Marist, CCSU, Siena) but dropped or was pushed out a couple of years ago. As a college club the only funding they get (if any) comes thru the Student Association, though the athletic dept. can help with trainers and insurance.

As much as I love hockey (big Ranger fan), the last thing UA needs to do is start up a new sport, especially one that requires the massive financial commitment that hockey would require in order to do it right.

Stick to what we have now and strengthen it. Lacrosse, Football, Basketball, Volleyball etc. The way I see it, those four are the core, make them stronger.

Stick to what we have now and strengthen it. Lacrosse, Football, Basketball, Volleyball etc. The way I see it, those four are the core, make them stronger.

I agree, but I would add M&W X-Country and Track and Field. Vives has been building a respected program in the northeast (which is very difficult to do).

Archived