UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

State University of New York System Overhaul

uofalbany

What colleges could be eliminated, if SUNY downsized and became more efficient?

campus_map_all.gif

http://www.suny.edu/student/campuses_map.cfm

http://www.suny.edu/student/campuses_complete_list.cfm

Adirondack / Community College

Albany / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Alfred State / Technology College

Alfred University, NYS College of Ceramics

Binghamton / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Brockport / University College

Broome / Community College

Buffalo, University at / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Buffalo State College / University College

Canton / Technology College

Cayuga / Community College

Clinton / Community College

Cobleskill / Technology College

Columbia-Greene / Community College

Cornell, NYS College of Agriculture & Life Sciences / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Cornell, NYS College of Human Ecology / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Cornell, NYS College of Veterinary Medicine / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Cornell, NYS School of Industrial and Labor Relations / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Corning / Community College

Cortland / University College

Delhi / Technology College

Downstate Medical Center / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Dutchess / Community College

Empire State College / University College

Environmental Science and Forestry (Syracuse) / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Erie / Community College

Farmingdale State / Technology College

Fashion Institute of Technology / Community College

Finger Lakes / Community College

Fredonia / University College

Fulton-Montgomery / Community College

Genesee / Community College

Geneseo / University College

Herkimer County / Community College

Hudson Valley / Community College

Jamestown / Community College

Jefferson / Community College

Maritime College / Technology College

Mohawk Valley / Community College

Monroe / Community College

Morrisville State College / Technology College Nassau / Community College

New Paltz / University College

Niagara County / Community College

North Country / Community College

Old Westbury / University College

Oneonta / University College

Onondaga / Community College

Optometry / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Orange County / Community College

Oswego / University College

Plattsburgh / University College

Potsdam / University College

Purchase / University College

Rockland / Community College

Schenectady County / Community College

Stony Brook / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Suffolk County / Community College

Sullivan County / Community College

SUNYIT / Technology College

Tompkins Cortland / Community College

Ulster County / Community College

Upstate Medical University / University Center and Doctoral Degree Granting Institution

Westchester / Community College

Sorry but the mission of SUNY and CUNY is education. More specifically education for all who desire it not just those who are economically well off enough to pay for it. The mission of SUNY and CUNY is not to provide upper level D1 sports programs. I believe that D1 sports definitely adds to the atmosphere of the University Centers and I am thrilled at the success of UAlbany. That being said, I do not think that UAlbany getting funding for a football stadium - when staff are facing layoffs or as some on this board have suggested closing schools -is a feasible alternative. We are in dire straits - both Democrats and Republicans have created this mess. I don't believe that other schools should be getting this type of funding either. I absolutely agree that UAlbany needs to do a much better job going after private funding and contributions from alumni. Just because you do not personally agree with or understand the mission of a specific school is NO reason to call for its closing. The fewer educational opportunities that exist means the fewer number of ideas that will be voiced, studied and argued. IMO - it is a sad day when IDEAS are rejected because some do not see a purpose in the specific field of study.

I don't necessarily think schools need to be closed, but I do think that adminstration and majors need to be consolidated.

There is no reason, IMO that there cannot be one President that runs Albany, New Paltz, Oneonta, and Empire College. And there is no reason why you should be able to get a journalism degree at Albany and New Paltz. You should be able to attend either location, but a journalism degree achieved at New Paltz and one at Albany should come from one department, with one department head, etc...

At the very least, the Administration and majors should be regionalized.

Western NY based in Buffalo

Central NY based in Bing

Northern NY based in Albany

Southern NY based at SBU

Same goes for the community college system. And even more so in the community college system.

SUNY's main mission is definitely education but there is no need to have the number of campuses that we currently have. The state of California has approximately 35 million people (or approximately 15 million more people than the state of NY) and has 10 state schools. I would argue that a degree from any one of the California state schools holds more value throughout the rest of the country than a degree from a SUNY school. If SUNY closed down some of the schools I think it would run more efficiently and would increase the value of the individual SUNY degrees, especially if the schools that remained differentiated themselves even more than now and offered more specialty degrees. I know the argument against closing some campuses would be job loss but I think the remaining schools, especially the 4 Centers could offer the best professors a transfer since enrollment would obviously increase thereby making these schools better by having the best professors NY has to offer within the SUNY system.

Sorry but the mission of SUNY and CUNY is education. More specifically education for all who desire it not just those who are economically well off enough to pay for it. The mission of SUNY and CUNY is not to provide upper level D1 sports programs.

I do not think that UAlbany getting funding for a football stadium - when staff are facing layoffs or as some on this board have suggested closing schools - is a feasible alternative.

Just because you do not personally agree with or understand the mission of a specific school is NO reason to call for its closing. The fewer educational opportunities that exist means the fewer number of ideas that will be voiced, studied and argued. IMO - it is a sad day when IDEAS are rejected because some do not see a purpose in the specific field of study.

The purpose of this thread was to identify the redundancy that exists within our state university system. And yes, the primary reason for state university systems is to offer an economical alternative, available to all. No university system writes anything about athletics in their mission. No one is saying close schools and fund a stadium for UAlbany.

I still have no problem eliminating the Fashion Institute of Technology. I don't know about all the other SUNY institutions, which is why I've asked for opinions. I did not call for the elimination of any other school. I'm asking anyone here if, in their opinion, there are schools that can be eliminated due to massive redundancy.

I should have expanded on my initial comments, by adding to what danefan said.... I think LARGE NUMBERS of programs are redundant throughout our 4 year institutions. I do not support eliminating any community colleges. But, df had several good ideas and points.

We have UBuffalo and Buffalo State in the same town? You have two community colleges five miles apart in Buffalo. You have Brockport and Geneseo fairly close to Buffalo and fairly close to one another. You have Canton, Potsdam, and Plattsburgh clumped together in the Northern sector. You have Purchase, Old westbury, Farmingdale and Stony Brook down near NYC.

I haven't said I'd eliminate anything, other than FIT. I'm not sure I'd eliminate anything else. But, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the whole matter.

#1 to be eliminated:

I disagree and don't see where you have posted your rationale for why it should be closed other than you wouldn't have a problem closing it..which really isn't a rationale..maybe you know something I don't about the school.. please inform..

I think the comment on the size of the California higher ed system is in error. They have 9 University settings comparable to our 4 University centers, they have 23 other 4 year State Colleges and a network of 113 community colleges. When Rocky and the Legislature decided to expand our higher education in the 60's, I believe they used California as a model. We never grew as large as California but I do agree we over built on many of the campuses. Over building results in higher costs which results in higher tuition. I don't have any suggestions for elimination and I'm not sure why FIT is being picked on. It has some very unique programs that are not duplicated anywhere, has some very famous graduates and every student I had that attended there was very successful after graduation

#1 to be eliminated:

I disagree and don't see where you have posted your rationale for why it should be closed other than you wouldn't have a problem closing it..which really isn't a rationale..maybe you know something I don't about the school.. please inform..

Associate Degree Programs

Accessories Design

Advertising and Marketing Communications

Communication Design

Fashion Design

Fashion Merchandising Management

Fine Arts

Illustration

Interior Design

Jewelry Design

Menswear

Photography

Production Management: Fashion and Related Industries

Textile Development and Marketing

Textile/Surface Design

Visual Presentation and Exhibition Design

Bachelor Degree Programs

Accessories Design

Advertising Design

Advertising and Marketing Communications

Computer Animation and Interactive Media

Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing

Direct and Interactive Marketing

Fabric Styling

Fashion Design

Fashion Merchandising Management

Fine Arts

Graphic Design

Home Products Development

Illustration

Interior Design

International Trade and Marketing for the Fashion Industries

Packaging Design

Photography

Production Management: Fashion and Related Industries

Technical Design

Textile Development and Marketing

Textile/Surface Design

Toy Design

Visual Art Management

Graduate Programs

Art Market: Principles and Practice

Cosmetics and Fragrance Management and Marketing

Exhibition Design

Fashion and Textile Studies: History, Theory, Museum Practice

Global Fashion Management

Illustration

I'm sure some of you view this from a totally different perspective... and might even be appauld to AX a program

called TOY DESIGN.

If you believe that ALL people in New York State should have access to ANY AND ALL imaginable programs, then it shouldn't be eliminated.

Maybe the problem is that New Yorkers feel they should be entitled to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, including programs like toy design, mens wear, cosmetics management, packaging design, etc, and expecting a suny institute to cater to such a thing.

In my opinion, FIT is a prime example of EXCESS. Every suny institute feels like they deserve more and more. Add the fat and add the excess. We can't disappoint anyone.

In my opinion and from my perspective, 90% of FIT programs deserve the AX. Although I know why it is located near Manhattan, and their programs are probably in big demand from a particular sector of society, I wouldn't be too upset if many of their programs were struck dead, and on a grander scale, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the industries involved vanish. It might even have a positive impact on American / western culture.

Sorry but the mission of SUNY and CUNY is education. More specifically education for all who desire it not just those who are economically well off enough to pay for it. The mission of SUNY and CUNY is not to provide upper level D1 sports programs. I believe that D1 sports definitely adds to the atmosphere of the University Centers and I am thrilled at the success of UAlbany. That being said, I do not think that UAlbany getting funding for a football stadium - when staff are facing layoffs or as some on this board have suggested closing schools -is a feasible alternative. We are in dire straits - both Democrats and Republicans have created this mess. I don't believe that other schools should be getting this type of funding either. I absolutely agree that UAlbany needs to do a much better job going after private funding and contributions from alumni. Just because you do not personally agree with or understand the mission of a specific school is NO reason to call for its closing. The fewer educational opportunities that exist means the fewer number of ideas that will be voiced, studied and argued. IMO - it is a sad day when IDEAS are rejected because some do not see a purpose in the specific field of study.

The mission of SUNY is NOT education. It’s a jobs program. It’s that simple. That is the reason nearly every county in the state has a campus. Some cities have more than one campus (Buffalo). The SUNY system is way too large and costly for this state to support and so it doesn’t. New York hasn’t supported SUNY in years. They should close many of the smaller campuses and funnel the money back into the remaining campuses. New York needs something like what was the base closing commission in the 1990s. You can't count on people doing the right thing for the greater good so you need a non-partisan commission to do it for you. Then it's an up or down vote for the whole thing.

There it is. That is the truth. SUNY is too big for its own good and New York cannot afford it.

Will New York ever correct this issue? No. New York is like the Big 3. It’s so entrenched in its ways it can never change. At least the Big 3 will eventually file for bankruptcy (today's announcement not withstanding).

At minimum, eliminate the duplication and redundancy of multiple separate colleges. Roll multiple campuses under the same university. SUNYIT could be part of the UAlbany system. Eliminate the duplicate administration and programs. Keep the campus if you have to but make it a single university. Same holds true on Long Island. Roll Old Westbury into Stony Brook. Buffalo State and UB should be one university. Chop off the redundancy.

Create larger universities with better academics. How about this idea; bench mark against successful state universities like U of M, Texas, UC etc? There is too much money and too many politicians involved for it to be reformed.

I think the comment on the size of the California higher ed system is in error. They have 9 University settings comparable to our 4 University centers, they have 23 other 4 year State Colleges and a network of 113 community colleges. When Rocky and the Legislature decided to expand our higher education in the 60's, I believe they used California as a model. We never grew as large as California but I do agree we over built on many of the campuses. Over building results in higher costs which results in higher tuition. I don't have any suggestions for elimination and I'm not sure why FIT is being picked on. It has some very unique programs that are not duplicated anywhere, has some very famous graduates and every student I had that attended there was very successful after graduation

[/quote

I was taking the info right from the University of California website. I'm not sure that they have direct control over any of the other 4 year schools or community colleges that you mentioned. I only saw a link stating the 10 campuses. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

There are two california systems.

There is the Cal State system and then there is University of California System.

The UC system has 10 universities

Berkeley

Davis

Irvine

Los Angeles

Merced

Riverside

San Diego

San Francisco

Santa Barbara

Santa Cruz

The Cal State system which has 23 campuses. Cal State is technically one school with multiple campuses.

I don't fully know the inner workings, but there are two systems. I believe the UC's are equivalent to our University Campuses, while the Cal State's are like the Geneseo. Cortlands, Brockports of the SUNY system.

#1 to be eliminated:

I'm sure some of you view this from a totally different perspective... and might even be appauld to AX a program

called TOY DESIGN.

If you believe that ALL people in New York State should have access to ANY AND ALL imaginable programs, then it shouldn't be eliminated.

Maybe the problem is that New Yorkers feel they should be entitled to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, including programs like toy design, mens wear, cosmetics management, packaging design, etc, and expecting a suny institute to cater to such a thing.

In my opinion, FIT is a prime example of EXCESS. Every suny institute feels like they deserve more and more. Add the fat and add the excess. We can't disappoint anyone.

In my opinion and from my perspective, 90% of FIT programs deserve the AX. Although I know why it is located near Manhattan, and their programs are probably in big demand from a particular sector of society, I wouldn't be too upset if many of their programs were struck dead, and on a grander scale, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the industries involved vanish. It might even have a positive impact on American / western culture.

You understand that that is your opinion...how does someone making clothing or toys deserve less of an education than someone doing landscape architecture? SUNY is suppose to represent letting everyone of society get an education.. it shows that we have a diverse population in NY who want diverse degrees. And if you say someone at FIT doesn't get a real education than you will be making an ignorant and ill informed comment.

It seems as if you have more of a problem in general with those types of programs or people across the nation (from your American/western culture comment).

If you don't like the direction SUNY is going then get a job with them and make changes. Actions speak louder than words.

(might stick to just the sport threads from now on, the whining about NY and SUNY in general is getting very old)

You understand that that is your opinion...how does someone making clothing or toys deserve less of an education than someone doing landscape architecture? SUNY is suppose to represent letting everyone of society get an education.. it shows that we have a diverse population in NY who want diverse degrees. And if you say someone at FIT doesn't get a real education than you will be making an ignorant and ill informed comment.

It seems as if you have more of a problem in general with those types of programs or people across the nation (from your American/western culture comment).

If you don't like the direction SUNY is going then get a job with them and make changes. Actions speak louder than words.

(might stick to just the sport threads from now on, the whining about NY and SUNY in general is getting very old)

Suny is supposed to grant everyone of New York access to an education... not access to every possible program imaginable. There was a point where the STATE of NEW YORK needed to decide where to draw the line, but they didn't. I'm not saying their education is anything less than any other suny education... but I'm saying I have serious doubts if SUNY should be offering SOME of these programs.

I'm an international business owner, I have a job. Thanks for the suggestion. Regardless, I still have strong feelings toward the institution that gave me my education. If SUNY were operated correctly throughout the decades, all of our university centers could have been light years ahead of their current condition. I'd rather the countless number of people in our state government, who get huge salaries and pension, deal with the SUNY mess, but get serious pressure from SUNY alumni that care what happens.

There's no whining going on, just comments of dissatisfaction. I'm sure everyone that has expressed dissatisfaction over SUNY is pleased you consider their comments whining.

If you can't see the redundancy that saturates the system, then you're not looking. And if this inefficiency doesn't bother you, then so be it. Don't offer any ideas in the discussion.

Suny is supposed to grant everyone of New York access to an education... not access to every possible program imaginable. There was a point where the STATE of NEW YORK needed to decide where to draw the line, but they didn't. I'm not saying their education is anything less than anyone other suny education... but I'm saying I have serious doubts if SUNY should be offering SOME of these programs.

I'm an international business owner, I have a job. Thanks for the suggestion. Regardless, I still have strong feelings toward the institution that gave me my education. If SUNY were operated correctly throughout the decades, all of our university centers could have been light years ahead of their current condition. I'd rather the countless number of people in our state government, who get huge salaries and pension, deal with the SUNY mess.

There's no whining going on, just comments of dissatisfaction. I'm sure everyone that has expressed dissatisfaction over SUNY is pleased you consider their comments whining.

If you can't see the redundancy that saturates the system, then you're not looking. And if this inefficiency doesn't bother you, then so be it. Don't offer any ideas in the discussion.

Thanks for your credentials. And I disagree with comments of dissatisfaction vs. whining.. I am not necessarily referring to this specific thread but how many threads do there have to be on the same exact topic about how SUNY sucks. The same comments get made w/ the same responses by the same people. If people just looked at the old threads they would see ppl keep saying the same exact thing over and over. (if you were dissatisfied you would state the issue and move on ....repetitiveness to me is whining)

I think it is great people discuss the problems with the system and question it, but when the same comments are made in every 'new' thread it gets old. That is what I am referring to. I agree and won't offer anything to the discussion or topic anymore. Enjoy.

Archived