UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Northeastern dropping football

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Danefan...and though at times I was pissed at McElroy for not moving us forward quicker...I do think this unintentionally helps us. Yes, finances are always an issue...and there are more cuts coming around...but its easier to manage 40 rides at let's say...20k a pop average...to 63 rides at 45k a pop.

As for SBU...they are in HUGE trouble. They have been told by Zympher, the President of the school, and the Governor that they cant do their 20mm arena renovations. Further, they have a 21mm athletic budget...which is more than buffalo.

You ever see that many fans attend? Where are their revenue streams?

They spent like drunken sailors and now play in an old gym and are going to be fwcked.

Unless you talk to SBU fans, they're pretty bad off.

SBU fans, however, think they don't need a dime of State money to fill out their huge budget. They think their alumni base will fill in the gaps.

Maybe their right, but I wouldn't count on any alumni base of any SUNY school filling any gap.

DF and D96, thank you for the lucid and reasoned responses.

I think sometimes I get frustrated at the idea that we never really seemed to dream big and not fear falling on our faces.

While the conservative route might be best for the long term growth of the program, sometimes it lacks the luster of appeal.

I guess it beats putting a new coat of paint on a broken down car, though.

This may be our opportunity to get into the CAA? Sure our facilities acren't great and probably won't improve in the near term but we're competitive. We're a large state school that could be good for the conference. We could fill those holes in the northeast :-)

I think sometimes I great frustrated at the idea that we never really seemed to dream big and not fear falling on our faces.

While the conservative route might be best for the long term growth of the program, sometimes it lacks the luster of appeal.

We save all that paint and bondo for our broken down stadium. laugh.gif

I think sometimes I great frustrated at the idea that we never really seemed to dream big and not fear falling on our faces.

I don't think the CAA has any motivation to expand now.

They have ODU in 2011 and Georgia State in 2012 which will bring them to 12 teams (assuming no one else drops).

Adding another team would create a problem rather than solve one.

I think they'll just move Delaware and Villanova to the North division and slot Old Dominion and Georgia State into the South Division when they join. They'll only have 1 year of an unbalanced schedule in 2011.

SoCal...not sure what is going to happen.

Frankly here's what I would be happy with:

1. Announcement of investment into the stadium facilities.

2. Announcement of football endowment of scholarships (I believe hoops has some).

3. Announcement of a football league with 53 rides and including Stony Brook, Fordham, Albany, Central Connecticut, Monmouth, UNH, Maine, URI, and UMASS. I am sorry, gotta think these schools are questioning the CAA right now.

4. Letting other things play out...but have that in place.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/atlanta/news/press_releases/stadium%20announcement.aspx

This stadium will be Kennesaw's home with the woman's pro soccer team. 8300 seats, $16.5mm....and just right for us.

This...is the plan that UA needs to run with...a stadium like this would be perfect...and within our budget (I think). Plus, expandable.

Now that Hofstra is gone...we need to start moving our foot forward in some way.

http://www.womenspro...nouncement.aspx

This stadium will be Kennesaw's home with the woman's pro soccer team. 8300 seats, $16.5mm....and just right for us.

This...is the plan that UA needs to run with...a stadium like this would be perfect...and within our budget (I think). Plus, expandable.

Now that Hofstra is gone...we need to start moving our foot forward in some way.

Absolutely perfect size and design. Could easily be built into University Field running north/south with the PE building being where the stage is on their design.

WPS-Beat-stadium.jpg

After dealing with computer problems all morning, this is what I missed!

HOFSTRA, dropping football ????!!!!

What the !!! I'm a bit stunned.

Certainly, we need to continue moving forward with some type of facility upgrade, regardless of anything else. We can't have a rundown, high school type field / facility. The governor or chancelor can't say anything against OUR argument. We HAVE no facility.

The conference question is cast in a new light now.

How stable is the CAA going forward?

Would the CAA want to add non-conference schools to a 12 team football conference?

Split into north/south, 6 on each side would be more than sufficient.

Hmmm.

I can't imagine the CAA is really that stable anymore from the North end.

There are no full-CAA members playing football North of Delaware now. How long will UNH, UMass, Maine and Rhode Island be able to afford to travel South all for the sake of staying connected to Delaware and James Madison (both of which could be FBS schools in a heartbeat if they wanted to)?

Archived