UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Northeastern dropping football

Word is abound that Northeastern is dropping football effective tomorrow.

That opens up a spot in the CAA North with our peer institutions (UNH, Maine, URI, UMass, etc.....).

Lets all keep our fingers crossed that for some reason they need to fill the spot and they need to fill it with a legendary coach, a winning tradition, and great facilities.

Well we have 2 out of the 3.sleep.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More details:

http://www.boston.co...nd_to_football/

Maybe its too soon, but I wouldn't mind seeing their 1000 yard rusher (John Griffin (who was the CAA leading rusher) wearing purple and gold next year.

Give us the flexibility to put Smith back at QB.

The NCAA waives the required year of sitting for teams that drop their programs.

http://www.caahoops.com/

CAA chair Yeager:

As for adding a new school to replace NU: “We’re going have a conference call with the ADs tomorrow and that’s one of the long range planning discussions as we go forward. The issue staring us right in the face in the schedule–8 institutions lost a conference game.”

DAYLIGHT! Come on McElroy! Get us in for the 2012 season!

More details:

Maybe its too soon, but I wouldn't mind seeing their 1000 yard rusher (John Griffin (who was the CAA leading rusher) wearing purple and gold next year.

The NCAA waives the required year of sitting for teams that drop their programs.

I agree although I think drews natural position is running back/hback. We should be looking to see if they have talent at the dback position for sure .

Why would the CAA be interested in UA? It seems UA's financial committments to upgrade would be at least what Northeast's amount is and probably a whole lot more. With their alumi base and endowment and they do not want to spend the monies; what chance does Albany have? Some posters claim to be

"in-the-know" with reliable contacts and sources; but most on this blog have never seen a realistic proposal of a stadium upgrade, let alone scholarship committments.

I do not want to be negative and have said before when we see a shovel in the ground, many will come forward with checkbook in hand and a pitch fork in the other; but those "in-the-know" need to get Dr M. to own up, put up or shut-up( which seems to be the status quo).

More details:

I agree although I think drews natural position is running back/hback. We should be looking to see if they have talent at the dback position for sure .

It would seem logical that Griffin would want to continue playing football.

And I guess he'd want to start looking around NOW. I'd want to be somewhere before spring practice.

Any hoot. THIS is our opportunity to appeal to the CAA. Right now.

If we don't do it now, then we probably lose out on ANY opportunity to join the CAA in the future. We have one of the most successful college football coaches in history. He has EVERYONE'S respect in the fcs. I'd recommend using his clout why we still have it.

If joining the CAA isn't an upgrade in our UAlbany footballl program, I don't know what is. If we don't have the vision for FBS, then our FCS vision should be the CAA. And if the CAA splits into a north/south situation in 10 years down the road, then we are already in anyways.

If we ACTUALLY have lofty goals for our football program, joining the CAA is the PERFECT fit. Joining UNH and Maine would be fantastic. UMass... etc

These ARE our PEER institutions.

I'll be making my opinion known.

Why would the CAA be interested in UA? It seems UA's financial committments to upgrade would be at least what Northeast's amount is and probably a whole lot more. With their alumi base and endowment and they do not want to spend the monies; what chance does Albany have? Some posters claim to be

"in-the-know" with reliable contacts and sources; but most on this blog have never seen a realistic proposal of a stadium upgrade, let alone scholarship committments.

I do not want to be negative and have said before when we see a shovel in the ground, many will come forward with checkbook in hand and a pitch fork in the other; but those "in-the-know" need to get Dr M. to own up, put up or shut-up( which seems to be the status quo).

It's something that has been discussed for a number of years on this board...what is the direction of UA football. NU dropping football is an opening for UA, it remains to be seen if we'll seize the moment. Granted, our wants/needs are only part of the equation, the CAA has to be receptive and willing but we should be doing everything in our power to put ourselves in a position where we are at least somewhat attractive to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind all of that...what does it mean if anything for us?

At the risk of being run of the board for this, here is what I will say it means:

Another great opportunity missed becuase we don't dream big enough.

I'm starting to think that our inability to dream big maybe have saved our butts a little bit here.

What if we were in a situation with a budget over our heads (cough cough Stony Brook).

With the budget cuts that keep rolling in, do you think we'd be sitting here feeling safe like I do?

And, by no means do I think that this security was done intentionally. Just luck of the draw maybe?

Archived