UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Northeastern dropping football

Although I feel quite badly that someone like Hofstra is dropping their football program, it really is exciting to analyze what might happen in the future for UAlbany.

Maybe it's time for all of the Northeastern fcs schools to start talking.

UAlbany

Maine

UNH

UMass

Rhode Island

Central Connecticut

Stony Brook

What had someone named it before: Yankee Conference?

Any other teams we'd like to add - delete from the list?

And that depiction of a large stadium.... who's stadium will that be?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I feel quite badly that someone like Hofstra is dropping their football program, it really is exciting to analyze what might happen in the future for UAlbany.

Maybe it's time for all of the Northeastern fcs schools to start talking.

UAlbany

Maine

UNH

UMass

Rhode Island

Central Connecticut

Stony Brook

What had someone named it before: Yankee Conference?

Any other teams we'd like to add - delete from the list?

And that depiction of a large stadium.... who's stadium will that be?

The Yankee Conference comes from the name of the old northeast FCS conference that became the A-10 and then morphed into the CAA.

I'd leave them all and perhaps add Monmouth.

The large stadium is James Madison's, which they have started building. The lower tier will be done for next season and the upper tier for 2011. $55 million expansion.

What if these teams were included:

UAlbany

Maine

UNH

UMass

Rhode Island

Central Connecticut

but excluded were stony brook and monmouth.

Would there be 2 other fcs teams in New England that might fit better? Other than northeastern, I can't think of another offhand.

Who were the original members of the yankee conference? The way caa football is now geographically, its hard to understand why they thought it would make sense this way.

It would be nice NOT to have to go onto the Island, into NJ, or through the metro area of NYC.

Too bad Vermont wasn't playing football.

Who would administer such a conference....I'm assuming the Umass, CCSU etc. would be affiliate members? The AE had it's chance to sponsor football and $iena the bed.

These are tumultuous times....we need to carefully consider where we are, where we want to be and what it will take to get there (institutional/financial commitment) and carefully weight if we are up to the challenge...the last thing I want to see is go the way SB went and then have massive funding issues.

Who would administer such a conference....I'm assuming the Umass, CCSU etc. would be affiliate members? The AE had it's chance to sponsor football and $iena the bed.

That's the problem right there. Who would administer it? The A-10 had its chance and sucked. The America East had its chance and the non-football schools nixed that idea.

Fordham plays in the patriot league for football only.

They may be an option as well. Changing football leagues wouldn't take much for them.

Holy Cross is in the A10 for all sports. They wouldn't go anywhere.

If they'vd all want to, I'd say these are definites:

UAlbany

Maine

UNH

UMass

Rhode Island

Central Connecticut

I'd say 2 other schools to round out a good league:

Who'd be the best choices?

Fordham

Monmouth

Bryant

Stony Brook

Fordham plays in the patriot league for football only.

They may be an option as well. Changing football leagues wouldn't take much for them.

Holy Cross is in the A10 for all sports. They wouldn't go anywhere.

If they'vd all want to, I'd say these are definites:

UAlbany

Maine

UNH

UMass

Rhode Island

Central Connecticut

I'd say 2 other schools to round out a good league:

Who'd be the best choices?

Fordham

Monmouth

Bryant

Stony Brook

Holy Cross is in the Patriot league for all-sports.

And Fordham isn't really in the Patriot League for football starting next year either.

I don't see your angst against SBU. They are a definite in my book.

Sorry, I meant the Patriot for Holy Cross.

Getting a little ahead of myself and typing fast..

What's Fordham's deal starting next year? Independent?

Maybe my bias against sbu isn't justified. But, they've goten so much funding through lavalle, and they've chosen to head off in their own direction. They left the nec and said adios. I guess we can't blame. Maybe I feel I'd like to see UAlbany have their independence from another suny in football.

Frankly here's what I would be happy with:

2. Announcement of football endowment of scholarships (I believe hoops has some).

You can check this one off your list..2 already exist.

The Bob Ford Football Scholarship

Named in honor of Coach Ford, and established by John Bertuzzi ’76 and Tyrone Curran ‘76, this scholarship provides support for football athletes who demonstrate financial need.

The Mark Pnini ’98 Football Scholarship

This fund, established by Mark Pnini ’98, provides a scholarship for an undergraduate student who is a member of the UAlbany Football team, who is in good academic standing and who demonstrates financial need.

http://www.albany.edu/uafoundation/142_160.htm

Sorry, I meant the Patriot for Holy Cross.

Getting a little ahead of myself and typing fast..

What's Fordham's deal starting next year? Independent?

Maybe my bias against sbu isn't justified. But, they've goten so much funding through lavalle, and they've chosen to head off in their own direction. They left the nec and said adios. I guess we can't blame. Maybe I feel I'd like to see UAlbany have their independence from another suny in football.

I think we need to be associated with the SUNY schools playing football. How great would it be to have a Governor's Cup? You talk about increasing school spirit. Could you imagine what a rivalry we could build against Stony Brook if we're both playing full scholly football and competing for National Championships?

I wish that someday, Albany, Buffalo and SBU will be playing in the same football conference a la Texas, Texas Tech and Texas A&M!

I am talking 20-30 endowed scholarships. FYI, W&M is fully-endowed. You get to a fully-endowed level and its golden. I will take 20-30...but two--as we have now-- is a start.

I would take all four extras (Fordham, Monmouth, Bryant, Stony Brook)...have 9 league games and 3 OOC. 1 vs. the PL...1 vs. a CAA....1 vs. a big boy.

That would be a very good and competitive league...no doubt!

I am talking 20-30 endowed scholarships. FYI, W&M is fully-endowed. You get to a fully-endowed level and its golden. I will take 20-30...but two--as we have now-- is a start.

Gotcha..thanks for the clarification.

I would assume that if the donations were coming in to those specific endowed funds at the necessary levels then they would be in the position to 'fully endow' football scholarships.

Who were the original members of the yankee conference? The way caa football is now geographically, its hard to understand why they thought it would make sense this way.

In 1981, Yankee Conference football was

Rhode Island

Massachusetts

Boston Univ.

New Hampshire

Connecticut

Maine

Later in the 80s Delaware, 'nova, Northeastern and some Virginia schools were added. The Atlantic-10 took it over in 1997, then the CAA in 2007.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived