UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ Yale

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a fun 30 minutes of basketball.

See, it's not that we've been taking too many threes it's that we've been missing too many threes.

I mentioned that 'A team looks a lot better when the shots go down'. During that first ten minutes there were three or four shots (one a three) that were halfway down and popped out. If they had gone down we would have been no more than 4 points down, and nobody would have been panicking.

Just signed up for this message board. This is my fifth year following Danes basketball. A couple of observations, the game changed around when Mike Johnson entered the game for Mike Black. Black had a hard time bringing up the ball against Yale and got pick pocketed at half court, which is a sign that Black is too inexperienced to be getting major minutes. The game turned around right when Johnson entered the game. Coach Will Brown's decision to take away starting time from Johnson is justified, given what I read. However, against the zone in the first half, Tim Ambrose and Will Harris pushing the ball up would have been a better formula, than the Mike Black. Black's 3 TO's to 2 assists over 19 minutes is an ugly statistic.

Billy Allen is a smart shooter, he doesn't just chuck it up. He gets the ball fakes if he is sealed out on, or if they bite on the fake, he either dribbles laterally or swings the ball. A consummate team player, he gets efficient shots. Sitting over by the bench and hearing Will Harris yell "Let it rain" when Allen got the ball on the corner, although sealed out on was due, in what was a sweet drained heat check.

Scotty McRae developed into a force. He used to be a little lost out on the floor, and Will Brown stuck with him. Whatever Will Brown saw in him, has surely come to fruition. Three offensive rebounds, 4-7 shooting, sank his free throws for 10 points, all in 11 minutes. He has adapted well to the defensive zone, playing a free safety role, picking good spots to help out on drives.

The zone and Tim Ambrose... people always complain about Ambrose, he allowed a back door cut, that Coach Brown was yelling out seconds before it happened and Ambrose was promptly benched. Besides a little sleepiness in zone, he had a great game. One turnover. Anytime you see Ambrose with only one turnover, and he played over twenty minutes, chances are the Danes won the game.

Don't know if my ramblings will be appreciated, surely could be edited. Let's go out and get Binghamton on Thursday!

Scotty McRae developed into a force. He used to be a little lost out on the floor, and Will Brown stuck with him. Whatever Will Brown saw in him, has surely come to fruition. Three offensive rebounds, 4-7 shooting, sank his free throws for 10 points, all in 11 minutes. He has adapted well to the defensive zone, playing a free safety role, picking good spots to help out on drives.

The zone and Tim Ambrose... people always complain about Ambrose, he allowed a back door cut, that Coach Brown was yelling out seconds before it happened and Ambrose was promptly benched. Besides a little sleepiness in zone, he had a great game. One turnover. Anytime you see Ambrose with only one turnover, and he played over twenty minutes, chances are the Danes won the game.

Don't know if my ramblings will be appreciated, surely could be edited. Let's go out and get Binghamton on Thursday!

The other good news for Ambrose was that he avoided the back-to-back fouls that sometimes seem to plague him.

I thought Scotty was in the dog house when he sat for the whole first half, but when he got off the bicycle and into the game he was good to go.

I've seen a lot of players on this team get their pockets picked this year, including Mike Johnson.

The game turned, not because of a change of offense, but when they switched to full-court pressure that spread the floor a little more, even if they broke it a couple of times for easy baskets. Oh, and because our shots started dropping.

Just had a tight hamstring, I assume. We will see if he is rewarded against Binghamton. I wouldn't mind seeing McRae at the 5. He's an inch shorter than Binghamton's center, and 30 lbs lighter, but he has the wingspan and the build to compete. Especially in the Dane's zone.

Thanks for the McRae information. I assumed his hamstring was tight because he was on the stationery. Look at the play by play, Mike Johnson did a much better job distributing, proven by the assist to turnover ratio. I am not discounting the traps and pressure, which were great. Mike Black was not strong enough to ball with Yale's guard defense, he had the ball ripped right from his hands during a rebound. He'll be better once he gets built up.

Now Black is not strong enough to penetrate, and that is much easier to defend. Johnson also changed by spreading the floor and is also a much smarter defender.

I've seen a lot of players on this team get their pockets picked this year, including Mike Johnson.

The game turned, not because of a change of offense, but when they switched to full-court pressure that spread the floor a little more, even if they broke it a couple of times for easy baskets. Oh, and because our shots started dropping.

Couldn't agree more w/ the press and the shots falling being the game changers. I loved the press. I was also very scared that coach would pull it off when it got beat a couple of times. He showed good patience on that.

Thanks for the McRae information. I assumed his hamstring was tight because he was on the stationery. Look at the play by play, Mike Johnson did a much better job distributing, proven by the assist to turnover ratio. I am not discounting the traps and pressure, which were great. Mike Black was not strong enough to ball with Yale's guard defense, he had the ball ripped right from his hands during a rebound. He'll be better once he gets built up.

Now Black is not strong enough to penetrate, and that is much easier to defend. Johnson also changed by spreading the floor and is also a much smarter defender.

I would agree Black had a poor game on Sunday. I would disagree about his ability to penetrate. He may not be strong enough, but you can penetrate w/ quickness too. And in that department there is no comparision between the two.

BTW when Harris and maybe one or two other guys on a break went up and missed a layup, did anyone think they should have slammed it instead, then double-clutched and thought "oh, like Tartt vs. CCSU"? It doesn't matter as long as the shooter makes up his mind and doesn't second-guess himself on the way up.

Archived