UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UVM @ UA

I've been curious, there was a lot of talk earlier this season and over the off-season about moving Harris to the PF spot but it doesn't seem like anything is moving in that direction. Granted our recent play has us all second guessing everything but it's a move I'd like to see.

For two of our perimeter players I don't think our opponents have to worry about Ambrose shooting from the outside - sag off him and play him to drive -

or Harris putting the ball on the floor and driving - stay up on him to keep him from shooting. Seems like a good way to frustrate them and a lot of teams have caught on.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been curious, there was a lot of talk earlier this season and over the off-season about moving Harris to the PF spot but it doesn't seem like anything is moving in that direction. Granted our recent play has us all second guessing everything but it's a move I'd like to see.

For two of our perimeter players I don't think our opponents have to worry about Ambrose shooting from the outside - sag off him and play him to drive -

or Harris putting the ball on the floor and driving - stay up on him to keep him from shooting. Seems like a good way to frustrate them and a lot of teams have caught on.

Funny you should say that....

Posted 30 mins ago on the TU blog....

http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/ualbany-is-good-will-harris-hunting/6136/

Good info Bosi. I agree with you - time to build the younger guys, though I think Harris can still have a solid role this year. Gif and Johnson should sit...

I agree with you on Johnson, though I am not sure why anyone would be harsh on Gifford. At times on Sunday Gifford played better than anyone on the court for UA (other than McRae). From the start of the 2nd half until he checked out with 13 minutes left, he busted his ass blocking a shot, taking a charge and making 2-3 solid passes. I think his limited rebounding stems more from always always starting each set from the top of the key (out of position by design?) than getting outworked down low.

Granted the guy is tall & unathletic, but I wouldn't lump him in the same "no heart" group as Johnson, Harris and Ambrose. Ultimately, I would like Metcalf to see more minutes, but Gifford in a 15-18 minute role the rest of the way isn't a bad thing.

Giffs weaknesses are magnified on this team that lacks offensive punch. It's tough to justify a 6'10" guy getting minutes that takes a charge every other game, blocks a shot per game, scores at just over 2pts a game and without checking rebounds 2.5/game. I don't question his effort. I question his ability to play at this level unless he is surrounded by better players, especially on the offensive end. If we had a decent offensive team he could be hidden a bit, and counted on to clog the middle and set screens. On this team we need scoring from more sources and he just isn't a scorer.

His positioning (our Offensive design) does cost him some rebounds, but I would say other factors are more of an issue. Lack of foot speed (positioning), leaping ability, and less than average hands.

Archived