UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I've asked this question before in a pm with one of the regular contributors here(board) but....How much do you guys think the impending announcement of a brand new football facility have to do with this class that some are calling one of if not the best we've ever had?

Do you guys think they are/were selling kids on the possibility of nicer/state of the art facilities and bigger crowds that would come with it? I know it will take a few years to get there with the construction time etc.

Bosiydid, they have been selling kids on a new stadium for quite some years now. But look on the bright side, ground is supposedly going to be broken this Spring. Also, in the rumor mill, the Giants are back, who are helping us with the stadium.

Great news on the Giants of it turns out good. The Giants have gotten one over on the University for years. A couple million bucks is a rounding error to them and a 10,000 seat stadium would be great for a Jets/Giants practice session/scrimmage like they had a few years ago. The Jets are only 2 hrs away now.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've asked this question before in a pm with one of the regular contributors here(board) but....How much do you guys think the impending announcement of a brand new football facility have to do with this class that some are calling one of if not the best we've ever had?

Do you guys think they are/were selling kids on the possibility of nicer/state of the art facilities and bigger crowds that would come with it? I know it will take a few years to get there with the construction time etc.

Bosiydid, they have been selling kids on a new stadium for quite some years now. But look on the bright side, ground is supposedly going to be broken this Spring. Also, in the rumor mill, the Giants are back, who are helping us with the stadium.

This time it appears the stadium is for real....I don't think we've ever been this close to something actually getting done.

I heard Whyland talking this morning about the Giants returning for at least one more year.....I'm not sure how much they are helping if anything at all financially or are they?

From what I heard..the Giants are helping, and also the state. NY State wants to keep the Giants here. Think about all the money the state gets from taxing the players, staff,etc.

This time it appears the stadium is for real....I don't think we've ever been this close to something actually getting done.

I heard Whyland talking this morning about the Giants returning for at least one more year.....I'm not sure how much they are helping if anything at all financially or are they?

From what I heard..the Giants are helping, and also the state. NY State wants to keep the Giants here. Think about all the money the state gets from taxing the players, staff,etc.

This is something we've been saying on here for years! Why didn't UA ever use the Giants as a bargaining chip with the State? Hitchcock made a sweet deal with the Giants and the University never really benefited from it. I'm hopeful that they are really willing to get on board now. I know Coughlin likes it up here and even with the new practice facility at the Meadowlands, there is still reason to get away for a few weeks.

If they are in fact helping financially....great....GREAT news!

What information have you heard that the Giants are in fact coming back?

And who said the Giants are helping with the stadium?

Both great pieces of news, but is it just chatter or what?

We benefit greatly with the Giants.

We'd benefit triple what we do now, if the Giants could practice in a real stadium on our campus.

And drawing that many more fans during Giants preseason, will bring alot of those same fans into the stadium on UAlbany Gameday!

We'd benefit triple what we do now, if the Giants could practice in a real stadium on our campus.

And drawing that many more fans during Giants preseason, will bring alot of those same fans into the stadium on UAlbany Gameday!

I agree with all of your comments except that we currently benefit greatly from the Giants.

I'm yet to see the benefit to UA. Parking fees?

There is a defeinite benefit to the City of Albany and Guilderland businesses, but I'm not so sure the University benefits at all really.

If they aren't helping with the stadium then I wouldn't be disappointed at all to see them leave.

The fact that they are coming back was reported by Whyland on his show this morning. He said the deal has not been finalized but that the University officials and Giants met for four hour on Monday....sounded like some minor things needed to get ironed out but the deal was pretty much done!

Whyland said that by the looks of it....it will be a one year deal.

*I hope I remembered/got all of the down correctly*

I agree with all of your comments except that we currently benefit greatly from the Giants.

I'm yet to see the benefit to UA. Parking fees?

There is a defeinite benefit to the City of Albany and Guilderland businesses, but I'm not so sure the University benefits at all really.

If they aren't helping with the stadium then I wouldn't be disappointed at all to see them leave.

My use of the word 'greatly' may be suspect.

It's difficult to measure the non-monetary impact they have on our university and football program.

What I do feel is that having UAlbany & the NFL NY Giants closely knit like we have been, can only benefit our university and football program. The publicity in the summertime is substantial up in the Albany region.

Having the Giants and NFL stars on campus must be added plus when recruiting... no matter how big or small that may be.

When the University of Albany, the New York Giants, and the NFL are spoken in the same sentences, I believe it is a psychological positive.

I imagine that alot of the 1000s of people that come to see that Giants say to themselves, "Maybe I should start coming to the Ualbany games... but this seating freakin sucks.... and I can't see shlitzer.... and I got a rust chip stuck in my arse... Maybe I won't come."

I used to work for the alumni association at a part-time job back in '04-'05, basically I would contact alumni and try to solicit donations from them for the University, and even then we were already using the new football stadium as a selling pitch to the alumni. I even remember receiving some fairly large donations which were meant to be used towards the construction/development of the stadium. I'm wondering now where all that money actually went.

I used to work for the alumni association at a part-time job back in '04-'05, basically I would contact alumni and try to solicit donations from them for the University, and even then we were already using the new football stadium as a selling pitch to the alumni. I even remember receiving some fairly large donations which were meant to be used towards the construction/development of the stadium. I'm wondering now where all that money actually went.

Who's to say they don't have it set aside?

Ahhh yes, the "Thousand Year Fundraising Drive that shall remain nameless and status-less."

happy.gif

i

Ha....I'm sure they have it sitting in a safe in the athletic department.

i

Same place they have the stadium designs.ninja.gif

i

Same place they have the stadium designs.ninja.gif

LOL...Along with the almost finalized Project 2050 road-map!

Archived