UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Hello all,

I've been reading this blog for a few months now and following Albany sports since I was enrolled there as a freshman in 2003. After looking over this signing class and looking at the video's, I think this may be the best class we've had since the move into D-1. Granted my knowledge of is somewhat limited versus some of the school's more senior supporters, I feel this class has the potential to continue our dominance of the NEC and (hopefully) lead us to the CAA or the emergence of a conference similar to the Yankee Conference. Obviously the top 2 recruits of this class appear to Will Fiacchi and Dillon Romain, but one of the players who really jumped out at me was DT Tim Kologrivov. After watching his video, I saw a defensive lineman who gets a great jump on the snap, and always seems to find his way into the offenses backfield, be it by over-powering the offensive lineman or by using his quickness to get off the snap so much quicker then the other players. Jake Dwyer also looked like an interesting prospect, great speed and pursuit of the ball carrier.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all,

I've been reading this blog for a few months now and following Albany sports since I was enrolled there as a freshman in 2003. After looking over this signing class and looking at the video's, I think this may be the best class we've had since the move into D-1. Granted my knowledge of is somewhat limited versus some of the school's more senior supporters, I feel this class has the potential to continue our dominance of the NEC and (hopefully) lead us to the CAA or the emergence of a conference similar to the Yankee Conference. Obviously the top 2 recruits of this class appear to Will Fiacchi and Dillon Romain, but one of the players who really jumped out at me was DT Tim Kologrivov. After watching his video, I saw a defensive lineman who gets a great jump on the snap, and always seems to find his way into the offenses backfield, be it by over-powering the offensive lineman or by using his quickness to get off the snap so much quicker then the other players. Jake Dwyer also looked like an interesting prospect, great speed and pursuit of the ball carrier.

Welcome UA2007!

I think you are spot on about the recruiting class. I think Romain is the most accomplished high school recruit we've ever gotten and I think that overall this is the best class. A lot to be excited about in the very near future.

As far as Fiacchi goes, I'm not completely sold on him yet. He played in Class B which is pretty week in NYS. I think he has the potential, but will take some time to get up to speed. He has gaudy stats for sure, but that doesn't always equate to being a good college QB.

Good to have another UA Football Fan on board!

Hello all,

UA2007,

Welcome to the board....good first post....looking to your continued contribution around here.

I haven't even really looked at any of their stats mainly for the reasons you mentioned. Level of competition, type of schemes, or even the USC effect (you have great stats because the team around you is great) can all play a huge roll. My excitement for Fiacchi is solely based on his videos. In the video which was previously linked, I saw him make at least 4 or 5 perfect over the shoulder throws which basically could not be defended by the DB, and these throws were 20+ yard plays. I also saw him make a few back shoulder throws when the WR was covered which could only be caught by the WR. I understand the transition from high school to college is a very difficult one, and many great high school players never amount to much in college. I just see in Fiacchi, our first real chance to develop a real pocket quarterback which will not allow defenses to play 8 men in the box against us. It should also be noted that Fiacchi much like Romain also received some D-1 attention, most notably Temple, Syracuse, UConn, URI, and UMass.

I haven't even really looked at any of their stats mainly for the reasons you mentioned. Level of competition, type of schemes, or even the USC effect (you have great stats because the team around you is great) can all play a huge roll. My excitement for Fiacchi is solely based on his videos. In the video which was previously linked, I saw him make at least 4 or 5 perfect over the shoulder throws which basically could not be defended by the DB, and these throws were 20+ yard plays. I also saw him make a few back shoulder throws when the WR was covered which could only be caught by the WR. I understand the transition from high school to college is a very difficult one, and many great high school players never amount to much in college. I just see in Fiacchi, our first real chance to develop a real pocket quarterback which will not allow defenses to play 8 men in the box against us. It should also be noted that Fiacchi much like Romain also received some D-1 attention, most notably Temple, Syracuse, UConn, URI, and UMass.

Definitely something we need.

The NEC is getting better and faster every year. Last year was proof that we can't just assume that we'll be able to ram it down the other teams' throats every game.

Welcome UA2007.

That's darn right... Seems like alot of progress in the NEC as of late.

Nothing is going to be given to us anymore.... although we've earned just

about everything we got the past three seasons.

Man, it's gonna be fun this fall..... knowing that the fcs playoffs is in the air!

What is very encouraging, is now we are getting DE's in the 6'5 range. Perfect D1 DE size. He just needs to beef up to 245-250 and he will be a killer. Good size in the Dline and like an earlier post put it a DT has great quickness off the ball at 240-265. And yes "new" Andrew Smith looks to be a great one. Everyone here knows I am obsessed with getting bigger so this is a step in the right direction. Most of them with the exception of a couple will redshirt.

Romain should be penciled in as one of the starters NOW along with #10. Good size at TE as well. I STILL WORRY ABOUT O Line. Hopefully they will be bigger but I need to see how the new kids establish themselves. I think Sparano is deemed their best and I assume will be moved to Center. I hope Kadeem William and Migliore as well as Anderson get into the mix. They are all 6'4-6'7 and all are 290 +!!!

What is very encouraging, is now we are getting DE's in the 6'5 range. Perfect D1 DE size. He just needs to beef up to 245-250 and he will be a killer. Good size in the Dline and like an earlier post put it a DT has great quickness off the ball at 240-265. And yes "new" Andrew Smith looks to be a great one. Everyone here knows I am obsessed with getting bigger so this is a step in the right direction. Most of them with the exception of a couple will redshirt.

Romain should be penciled in as one of the starters NOW along with #10. Good size at TE as well. I STILL WORRY ABOUT O Line. Hopefully they will be bigger but I need to see how the new kids establish themselves. I think Sparano is deemed their best and I assume will be moved to Center. I hope Kadeem William and Migliore as well as Anderson get into the mix. They are all 6'4-6'7 and all are 290 +!!!

You're not the only who thinks you need size to win in the NEC now.....Check out Wagner's OL signings:

Brett Buzzard Fr. 6-8 285 OL Sunrise, FL/Pine Crest

Ian Cunningham Fr. 6-3 280 OL Mountainside, NJ/Milford

Joseph Dukes Fr. 6-6 270 OL McAlpin, FL/Suwannee

Kevin Farrell Fr. 6-6 280 OL Boca Raton, FL/West Boca

Tom Lindley Fr. 6-3 300 OL Mastic Beach, NY/William Floyd* (Michigan transfer)

Sean Pearson Fr. 6-6 290 OL Scotch Plains, NJ/St. Peter’s Prep* (Temple transfer)

Edgar Sheppard Fr. 6-3 290 OL Washington, DC/Georgetown Prep* (Winston Salem State Transfer)

Because of Albany's recipe: Huge Offensive line and good backs. Every NEC team has begun to use UA as the model. Now that the NEC is nearing 40 rides and scheduling the big boyss OOC you will see this trend continue.

The NEC had better get to @ least 50 to stay competitive with the CAA etc. If that happensd we are in business.

Because of Albany's recipe: Huge Offensive line and good backs. Every NEC team has begun to use UA as the model. Now that the NEC is nearing 40 rides and scheduling the big boyss OOC you will see this trend continue.

The NEC had better get to @ least 50 to stay competitive with the CAA etc. If that happensd we are in business.

I really hope they revisit the 40 limit. With or without the limit there are going to be the have's and the have not's in the conference.

I think it may be possible now that Wagner appears to have really gotten on board. They've done some good recruiting lately especially with transfers and it appears they're making a good committment.

Duquesne also announced recently that they will be cutting baseball and wrestling and reallocating about $1 million a year to other scholarships in the Athletic Department. I have to hope that this will increase the number of football scholarships they offer.

Monmouth is committed.

CCSU is committed.

Bryant appears to be committed.

RMU appears to be committed.

Why not just remove or raise the cap and everyone fend for themselves?

You're still going to end up with the same 3-4 teams battling for the league championship every year. The problem now is that with a scholly limit the NEC champ is very unlikely to advance at all in the playoffs.

I've asked this question before in a pm with one of the regular contributors here(board) but....How much do you guys think the impending announcement of a brand new football facility have to do with this class that some are calling one of if not the best we've ever had?

Do you guys think they are/were selling kids on the possibility of nicer/state of the art facilities and bigger crowds that would come with it? I know it will take a few years to get there with the construction time etc.

I've asked this question before in a pm with one of the regular contributors here(board) but....How much do you guys think the impending announcement of a brand new football facility have to do with this class that some are calling one of if not the best we've ever had?

Do you guys think they are/were selling kids on the possibility of nicer/state of the art facilities and bigger crowds that would come with it? I know it will take a few years to get there with the construction time etc.

Bosiydid, they have been selling kids on a new stadium for quite some years now. But look on the bright side, ground is supposedly going to be broken this Spring. Also, in the rumor mill, the Giants are back, who are helping us with the stadium.

Bosiydid, they have been selling kids on a new stadium for quite some years now. But look on the bright side, ground is supposedly going to be broken this Spring. Also, in the rumor mill, the Giants are back, who are helping us with the stadium.

This time it appears the stadium is for real....I don't think we've ever been this close to something actually getting done.

I heard Whyland talking this morning about the Giants returning for at least one more year.....I'm not sure how much they are helping if anything at all financially or are they?

Archived