UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The University at Albany football team will play Cincinnati of the Big East in the 2013 season, instead of 2011 as was originally planned, UAlbany athletic director Lee McElroy said Saturday.

McElroy, responding by e-mail, said the change was due to "scheduling conflicts" and he's still trying to fill the opening on the 2011 schedule. The Cincinnati game was to be UAlbany's first meeting with a Division I Football Bowl Subdivision team.

Cincinnati instead will face Austin Peay to open the 2011 season.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=940681&category=SPORTS#ixzz0qjIYHeJn

This is very disappointing.

For 15 years I've been waiting for Albany to finally join the other state universities... Even on some basic minimal level.

I left New York and it still finds ways to disappoint me.

I'm so F upset.

I never understood this game anyway..not on our part, but Cincy's part. Why would they talk with us when we aren't at the counter status? We do not have 90% of the max scholarships (which have to average over 2 years I believe), thus they couldn't count us as a win towards bowl eligibility. Really has never made any sense to me.

I never understood this game anyway..not on our part, but Cincy's part. Why would they talk with us when we aren't at the counter status? We do not have 90% of the max scholarships (which have to average over 2 years I believe), thus they couldn't count us as a win towards bowl eligibility. Really has never made any sense to me.

Does this mean we will be fully funded as a counter by 2013?? As in will we have @ least 57 full rides by opening day 2013? BTW any news on our contract with the NEC???

By the way uafootballLI, I couldnt agree with you more. This game does not make sense for either programs outside of a payday for UA. Besides the a$$ kickin we would get, what satisfaction would Cincy get besides getting playing time for their 2nd, 3rd, and walkons.

Does this mean we will be fully funded as a counter by 2013?? As in will we have @ least 57 full rides by opening day 2013? BTW any news on our contract with the NEC???

By the way uafootballLI, I couldnt agree with you more. This game does not make sense for either programs outside of a payday for UA. Besides the a$$ kickin we would get, what satisfaction would Cincy get besides getting playing time for their 2nd, 3rd, and walkons.

I would hope that we are fully funded as a counter by 2013. Well in fact, by what I was told and have read is that we would have to have the 90% of scholarships for a period of two years before we could be counter status. That means that by 2011 we would have to 90% to have a money/FBS game in 2013. I think the whole money games are a good idea. Exposure, money to the program, and giving the kids the ability to play in a big time atmosphere. Id rather play the Army's or MAC teams of the world rather than a Cincy though!

I think this year for the NEC is going to be extremely important with the autobid to the playoffs. My feeling/thoughts are that if whoever represents the NEC 'competes' in the playoffs then they might keep the status quo of scholarship level, and if we get blown out..their might be an outcry by the bigger NEC schools of pushing for the max scholarships allowed..not this playing with 1 arm behind your back mind set.

• 5 months later...

Has the Cincinnati game been cancelled? We're no longer listed as a future opponent. That really sucks.

http://www.gobearcat...-schedules.html

Looks that way. We've been replaced by Austin Peay - a really bad fully funded 2-win OVC team.

I really hope we got paid something for this, but I doubt it.

McElroy announced in June that it was postponed until 2013, though it's not on that future schedule yet

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/UAlbany-Cincinnati-delayed-559729.php

Someone posted that the 2011 opener would be at Colgate

yes. in the Colgate program from this years game vs. Monmouth page 27, it had Colgate's future schedule 2011 and 2012. I am most excited if 2012 stays as is with no changes. A September home game!

9/3/11 vs Albany

9/1/12 at Albany

McElroy announced in June that it was postponed until 2013, though it's not on that future schedule yet

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/UAlbany-Cincinnati-delayed-559729.php

yes. in the Colgate program from this years game vs. Monmouth page 27, it had Colgate's future schedule 2011 and 2012. I am most excited if 2012 stays as is with no changes. A September home game!

9/3/11 vs Albany

9/1/12 at Albany

Set up nicely for the stadium opener.

http://www.timesunio...ayed-559729.php

It was on Cincy's future schedule for 2013 but it must have recently removed.

I think its safe to assume the game is cancelled.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived