UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SUNY tuition change proves sticking point

Clickclack

One last ditch effort to contact local Pols

Dear Alumni and Friends, As you may know, the Governor and State Legislature are at a critical stage in negotiations over the Public Higher Education Empowerment and Innovation Empowerment Act – historic, landmark reform that promises to provide much-needed regulatory relief to the University at Albany and State University of New York System.

An op-ed column earlier this week in The New York Times by former SUNY provost Peter Salins clearly outlines the need for passage of the Public Higher Education Empowerment and Innovation Act (or PHEEIA). PHEEIA would allow SUNY and CUNY to set their own tuition rates and give them the freedom to raise additional revenue to compensate for the $840 million in budget cuts the state has imposed over the past three years.

The column presents a cogent, irrefutable argument for why this legislation is crucial to SUNY and CUNY and also points out the reasons why PHEEIA makes good economic sense given the role institutions such as UAlbany have in our state's revitalization.

I encourage you to read the article and call or email the message below to key legislators to encourage their support of this critical legislation. A decision could be reached as early as Tuesday, so I encourage you to send these messages today.

Senator Neil Breslin, breslin@senate.state.ny.us, 455-2225

Senator McDonald, mcdonald@senate.state.ny.us, 455-2381

Senator Hugh Farley, farley@senate.state.ny.us, 455-2181

Assembly Majority Leader Ron Canestrari, canestr@assembly.state.ny.us, 455-2181

Assemblyman John McEneny, mcenenj@assembly.state.ny.us, 455-4178

Assemblyman Tim Gordon, gordont@assembly.state.ny.us, 455-5777

Assemblyman Bob Reilly, reillyr@assembly.state.ny.us, 455-5931

Sincerely,

William J. McCann ’86, ‘87

President, University at Albany Alumni Association

P.S. We’d like to track our progress, so if you send emails or call legislators, please drop us an email at alumniassociation@uamail.albany.edu to let us know (or you can simply copy us on your email to the legislators).

DRAFT EMAIL TO LEGISLATORS

Dear Senator:

As you conclude the State Budget, I write in strong support of the Empowerment and Innovation Act, which will provide vitally important flexibility and autonomy to the University at Albany, as well as other SUNY and CUNY campuses across New York State.

I especially want to underscore how important it is for the University at Albany to be one of the pilot campuses in the final legislation. This is critically important to the economy and well-being of the Capital Region.

In the wake of 20 years of declining State assistance in public higher education, this landmark legislation will enable campuses like the University at Albany to take control of their future by generating new revenue, hiring new faculty and researchers, fostering new research and discovery, providing a richer academic experience for our students and much more.

The Empowerment Act will ensure that the University at Albany – the single largest enterprise in the Capital District with over 26,500 members – continues to serve as the engine for future economic growth and job creation in the region.

Thank you in advance for your support of the University at Albany.

DONE! This is hugely important, please spend a few minutes to send the e-mail.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I love the reader response...which is the same boring red herring I constantly hear. Newsflash: SUNY is already restrictive in its autonomous behavior; schools have different acceptance levels/requirements, and there are differences in pricing. Furthermore, it would seem if tuition increased, more students would be eligible for TAP, PELL and other federal and state student subsidies.

Moreover, if you dont graduate with a regents diploma you are excluded from attending a State school until you go to community college (unless that rule has changed).

The "autonomy" fear argument is weak. Bottom line...people dont like change...and it is time for real no bull$iena change in the system.

• 2 weeks later...

OT: UB president Simpson retires. While some might see this as good news because he could be a bit of a egomaniac he did push for change and was a loud voice. I think the process of getting the Higher Ed act passed will miss his voice.

Should be interesting to see how quickly their vacancy is filled, SUNY left us twisting in the wind for YEARS!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's never too early to start thinking of voicing your thoughts for next year's legislative action for SUNY Flex.

New story in the Buffalo News with a Zimpher interview, reiterating SUNY is going bold on getting everything they want with a reform package:

Chancellor Disputes Report on Legislative Plan for SUNY

It's never too early to start thinking of voicing your thoughts for next year's legislative action for SUNY Flex.

New story in the Buffalo News with a Zimpher interview, reiterating SUNY is going bold on getting everything they want with a reform package:

Chancellor Disputes Report on Legislative Plan for SUNY

Interesting. I don't think this even made the news in Albany. Unfortunately after all the publicized problems at SUNY Central I don't see Zimpher operating from a position of strength these days as far as influence in the NYS legislature.

Archived