UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Patriot League voting on Scholarships

In my neverending quest to keep the Danes community appraised of FCS football at-large, see the below article on the Patriot League vote for football-scholarships that either occured today or will happen tomorrow.

This could have substantial impact on the FCS schools in the Northeast, not only in recruiting but also in conference realignment.

If the PL votes against scholarships then Fordham is out for good and if they vote for scholarships, Georgetown is most likely gone.

What's the best outcome for UAlbany? Would a vote against scholarships and thus moving Fordham out be better for UA? A possible new NE conference?

I keep waiting for the UMASS news. I really hope they jump to the MAC. It'll drive UNH and Maine to work out a deal with the NEC.

What's the best outcome for UAlbany? Would a vote against scholarships and thus moving Fordham out be better for UA? A possible new NE conference?

I keep waiting for the UMASS news. I really hope they jump to the MAC. It'll drive UNH and Maine to work out a deal with the NEC.

Its a way better outcome for us if the PL votes against scholarships. The NEC has moved in line with or beyond the Patriot league in terms of competitiveness, in very large part due to scholarships. The NEC was 3-1 against the PL this year. A full scholarship PL has the potential to be a very very strong conference again.

Plus if Fordham is conference shopping we could see a push for a new conference, although there are rumors of the MAC for Fordham if the PL vote goes down.

Also would PL with scholarships mean more competition in recruiting. For this reason, I would think UA would be better off with a PL NO vote?

Agreed. Just think about upstate NY recruiting.

Kid with a full scholarship offer to Albany or Colgate is probably going to chose Colgate purely based on academics. Our school has many things to offer for sure, but the Patriot League schools are undoubtedly a cut above in the academic world.

Right now we can get that kid because in most cases, Colgate cannot offer a full-ride. They can offer an equivalency but very rarely are the grant-in-aid packages full rides. That all changes with scholarships. Financial need is no longer a component. That kids probably goes to Colgate, like he used to before we had scholarships.

http://www.gazettenet.com/2010/12/15/mac-officials-visit-umass-invitation-may-follow

One step closer.

Well it looks like they've decided to do ...... nothing.

haha

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121510aac.html

The Patriot League Council of Presidents tabled a decision to amend its current need-based financial aid system for football, it was announced following the Council of Presidents meeting on Tuesday. "Following extensive discussions at their meetings this week, the Patriot League Council of Presidents elected to table a decision to adjust the current need-limited model of financial aid for two years pending additional deliberations related to the League's strategic direction," the Council of Presidents announced in a joint statement

Really good news. Now, what about Fordham?

More importantly, what about us?

This is the last year of the NEC contract, isn't it?

Can we pull a 'fordham' on the NEC, and just max out on shollies - and maybe bring a few programs

with us on the manuever? With so many programs in the NEC now and with us only being a football member,

it may not work out well.

Time for the UA football program to take some bold, large steps forward? With our contract endinng, what shall we do?

Four America East, two Patriot, two NEC, and an A-10. Who'd administer this league? Isn't the NCAA discouraging if not prohibiting one-sport leagues? Would AE add a sports league with only four all-sport members?

At least there wouldn't be anybody in this league talking about moving to FBS for at least ten years.

Four America East, two Patriot, two NEC, and an A-10. Who'd administer this league? Isn't the NCAA discouraging if not prohibiting one-sport leagues? Would AE add a sports league with only four all-sport members?

At least there wouldn't be anybody in this league talking about moving to FBS for at least ten years.

I'm volunteering to administer it...biggrin.gif

Yeah - grasping at straws is exactly what I was doing UAsmile.gif

So a two year punt? Hmmm....

Yup and we'll glady set up a nice return on all their recruits......laugh.gif

And if we had a stadium maybe we would not have to worry about Patriot scholarships. Well maybe by their two year punt we will have at least started, but I won't hold my breath.

Archived