UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Why don't we run more?

McFan

After the way we pushed in the second half against SB to the tune of 35 points in the second half I found myself again wondering why we don't push the ball more. We are gaurd oriented. RB decently. And win more often when score more than 60 points.

At greater than 60 points we are 9-6.

At greater than 70 points we are 5-1.

At less than 60 points we are 4-7.

At less than 50 points we are 0-3.

Somebody that knows more than me please shed some light. Is it just a coaching philosophy?

After the way we pushed in the second half against SB to the tune of 35 points in the second half I found myself again wondering why we don't push the ball more. We are gaurd oriented. RB decently. And win more often when score more than 60 points.

At greater than 60 points we are 9-6.

At greater than 70 points we are 5-1.

At less than 60 points we are 4-7.

At less than 50 points we are 0-3.

Somebody that knows more than me please shed some light. Is it just a coaching philosophy?

Hahahaha i think we have been asking that question for four years. I just think browns philosophy is just not to run it. The teams play has just been a grind it out and rebound.

So you say we'd be better if we scored more? What freakin' geniuses you are.

Just like the clowns that blame the coach after the team is 7-17 from the foul line, even though another night they're 11-13.

No coach tells his guys NOT to run. He may think it's more important to keep the guards in to get the rebound, or to play defense if we don't get it, than it is to have the guards leaking out behind the defense. If you're at the same talent level as the other team, forcing it will probably cause as many turnovers as easy baskets. You run when there's opportunity.

With the half-dozen blown layups on breakouts Monday, there was somebody behind me yelling at the players to stop forcing it to the hoop.

UVM and BUMA have scored 80 five or six times each, nobody else has done it more than 2 or 3. It's just the pace of play in this conference.

Here's a thought: Teams score more because they're playing that much better than the other team, get more steals and don't turn it over as much themselves.

Just like the clowns that blame the coach after the team is 7-17 from the foul line, even though another night they're 11-13.

No coach tells his guys NOT to run. He may think it's more important to keep the guards in to get the rebound, or to play defense if we don't get it, than it is to have the guards leaking out behind the defense. If you're at the same talent level as the other team, forcing it will probably cause as many turnovers as easy baskets. You run when there's opportunity.

With the half-dozen blown layups on breakouts Monday, there was somebody behind me yelling at the players to stop forcing it to the hoop.

UVM and BUMA have scored 80 five or six times each, nobody else has done it more than 2 or 3. It's just the pace of play in this conference.

Here's a thought: Teams score more because they're playing that much better than the other team, get more steals and don't turn it over as much themselves.

I think there are coaches that dont emphasize on the uptempo style offense. Those coaches want to run a half court offense which we try to run. Also forcing it to the hoop gives you a higher chance at getting to the free throw line. Idk if they blew a half dozen layups monday. I can only remember two or three. I know tim and mike had at least one each.

I guess I have at least a bit of a valid point or you wouldn't break out the "freakin' geniuses" argument.

Note in my post I'm not talking about greater than 80 points. I'm talking greater than 60 points. 60 points.

I also love how a TO on break or push is the end of the world, but a TO or terrible shot against the shot clock is no problem in that outstanding half court set. You can push the ball and if nothing there pull it out.

"No coach tells his guys not to run"? Are you kidding me. I've seen many coaches, including Coach Brown, make that statement with hand gestures, I'm sure accompanied by "slow it down". They aren't always right, or wrong, but they certainly say it.

Watch a good running team and their gaurds don't have to cheat out. Once the RB is secured however they release and the outlet hits them on the run. Our guards usually are retreating towards the rebounder to insure safe delivery.

In my time watching the team the only player that looked to get out and run was carl ross. I rememer once the def rebound was grabbed ross would fly down the court looking for the outlet. He did throw down quite a few dunks hi one yr here. None was better than the one a the aeast championship. I think he actually had a dunk in each round of the america east tournament.

There are a few valid points coming from each side here.

You run when you have the opportunity.

Our guards tend to retreat back to the rebounder for a handoff and casually bring it up.

Some coaches DO NOT want their teams to run.

Some coaches want their guards to stay close to the rim for rebounding, which limits runs.

We're all part of the same UA family. How about we refrain from insulting one another.

It sounds like a drunk husband verbally abusing his timid wife in this thread. Relax.

There are a few valid points coming from each side here.

You run when you have the opportunity.

Our guards tend to retreat back to the rebounder for a handoff and casually bring it up.

Some coaches DO NOT want their teams to run.

Some coaches want their guards to stay close to the rim for rebounding, which limits runs.

We're all part of the same UA family. How about we refrain from insulting one another.

It sounds like a drunk husband verbally abusing his timid wife in this thread. Relax.

Agreed. Thought I was asking a valid question. Was looking for input. I guess I could of followed w/

-- Are we not athletic enough?

-- Do are bigs not rebound well enough?

-- Will our guards (the strenght of our team) get tired (too tired)?

-- Are the bigs incapable of making strong upcourt outlet passes?

-- Do we lack ball handlers?

-- Are the bigs too slow to catch up?

-- Poor decision makers?

-- All of the above?

or,

Is it simply a coaching philosophy.

Also have to ask, am I the drunk husband or timid wife, or just a "freakin genius"?

All in good fun gentlemen and ladies.

I would assume it's a combination of all of those things, whether or not a team ends up

running alot or not. Some teams are better at running than others.

Attacking a defense that hasn't set itself up yet often produces good results.

The vast majority of the time, defenses we face are well set up by the time we begin our offensive move.

I thought we've looked to run more this year than we have in the past. Having a good point guard I'm sure helps. Until Mike Black something we haven't had in a while.

You can point to the Stony Brook game but they really help anyone look bad. It seemed like they ran 30 seconds of "offense" every time they had the ball. Really limited the number of shots we were going to get.

To me, we're undersized on the perimeter - three players 6'3 or shorter. There's no Carl Ross, Brian Lillis, Jason Siggers type of 6'4, 6'5 guards out there so we're not going to get a lot of steals to get fast breaks. In fact we're last in the conference in getting steals. I'm guessing those two things go together. I'll take the T's for threes over steals for now.

I'm sure some of it is situation as well. Teams with slower guards know their own teams and scheme accordingly. Watch Hartford's 6'10 center launch threes from the top of the arc and then wonder why we can't run against them. He's back across half court before the ball touches the rim.

Archived