UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Conference Realignment

Clickclack

How difficult would it be for UA to go full scholly...? We've heard rumors that they have the money now but like the security of the NEC. The full scholarship situation can be corrected quickly and with a new stadium...what's the difference between the two programs other then we are more successful overall as an athletic program to this point.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How difficult would it be for UA to go full scholly...? We've heard rumors that they have the money now but like the security of the NEC. The full scholarship situation can be corrected quickly and with a new stadium...what's the difference between the two programs other then we are more successful overall as an athletic program to this point.

Us with 6,000 seats and full 63 scholarship will not differ greatly from SBU from an athletic standpoint. We differ academically (we lack the traditional professional schools and don't have AAU. I'm sure the school wants AAU and is doing what it can to get there, but there does not appear to be any interest in adding a law school.)

The one thing SBU has that we do not currently (at least from the perspective of us "outsiders") is a Vision. I'm skeptical that our Athletic Administration is doing anything behind the scenes at all. It should not have taken 7 years to build a 6,000 seat stadium. That's the prime example of lack of leadership and vision.

As far as how difficult it is to go full scholly, I don't really know. You have Title IX constraints of course, but you also have the potential to earn $300,000 extra a year with one FBS game. If you win a little bit you can even get more - App State is getting $850,000 to play at Michigan again (smart scheduling on Michigan's part :blink: ).

I have to think $300,000 a year offsets a large portion of the extra cost associated with 23 scholarships to a state school.

I've been quietly impressed with what Philip is doing and how he's doing it. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I see him as taking charge of the stadium debacle and putting some reins on it...making it more manageable. The fact that he got involved gives me hope that he's taking a more proactive role in the future of our athletic program.

None of the hurdles we face (stadium, full scholly, league) are insurmountable with a little bit of leadership. While I don't see it from our AD, I do see it in Philip.

I've been quietly impressed with what Philip is doing and how he's doing it. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I see him as taking charge of the stadium debacle and putting some reins on it...making it more manageable. The fact that he got involved gives me hope that he's taking a more proactive role in the future of our athletic program.

None of the hurdles we face (stadium, full scholly, league) are insurmountable with a little bit of leadership. While I don't see it from our AD, I do see it in Philip.

That I can agree with, but it has to come from the AD if its to be longer term success. The President cannot be focused on Athletics forever.

That I can agree with, but it has to come from the AD if its to be longer term success. The President cannot be focused on Athletics forever.

Agreed...time for change there

From your mouth, to Philip's ears. Dr. McElroy has done some positive things...truly building an overall program....however it is time for fresh blood and fresh ideas. I can spend 3 hours in President's Philip's office explaining about 10 programs that could raise the profile of the University's Athletic program (marketing/alumni development) without much extra cost.

From your mouth, to Philip's ears. Dr. McElroy has done some positive things...truly building an overall program....however it is time for fresh blood and fresh ideas. I can spend 3 hours in President's Philip's office explaining about 10 programs that could raise the profile of the University's Athletic program (marketing/alumni development) without much extra cost.

Would it make sense to keep McElroy until the stadium is built, then use our new facilities to attract better talent for his position?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.app.com/article/20111007/NJCOLUMNIST09/310070032/Victories-would-help-program-s-cause?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

The Big East might not be the only local conference with a decidedly different look in the coming years.

As Monmouth University hosts Colgate for the first time Saturday, it’s a clash between school’s whose conferences, the Northeast Conference and Patriot League, respectively, are approaching a football crossroad.

Some programs, like the Hawks and Raiders, would be willing to explore increased funding to level the playing field with top-tier FCS programs, while others are seeking to hold the line, or even reduce their commitment to the sport.

The end result could be a football-only conference with like-minded schools banding together in a regional league,

“It’s something that could happen naturally over time,’’ said Monmouth University president Paul Gaffney, who was instrumental in the NEC’s push to 40 scholarships by 2013. “We would consider additional scholarships, and maybe it’s not all the way up to 63, but there are schools out there willing to increase their commitments as well.’’

Hypothetically, NEC schools like Monmouth, Albany, Robert Morris and Central Connecticut might be interested in increasing scholarships, along with Colgate, Lehigh, Lafayette and Fordham, which has already abandoned the Patriot League’s “scholarship equivalents’’ in favor of true athletic scholarships.

Maybe Rhode Island, which will be an NEC team by 2013, decides to hold the line on funding, and a team or two from the Colonial Athletic Association decide they want to play games closer to home.

At that point you have a nine or 10-team football conference along the lines of the CAA, with all other sports remaining unchanged.

Monmouth President is on board publicly. Can we get Philip to go on the record?

CAA is apparently looking for expansion members for all sports.....

http://blogs.gwhatchet.com/courtside/2011/10/09/colonial-athletic-association-gauging-gw-interest-in-joining-league/

Hofstra’s president, Stuart Rabinowitz, had reached out informally to Atlantic 10 members Charlotte, Richmond and George Washington, along with Boston University of the America East, to gauge their interest in joining the C.A.A., according to two people with knowledge of the talks.

McElroy and Philip better be sitting in Rabonowitz's office right now..... :angry2:

Archived